Steam percentage question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MightyUnclean, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Hey guys,

Out of curiosity, has it ever been officially released what percentage of players log in through Steam rather than the direct game client?

Thanks!

2. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Avatar

I’ve been playing for 2years.
    Never login via Steam and don’t have a Steam account.

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

At one point the said Steam accounted for about 30%, but that was a couple of years ago, so no telling what it might be today.

4. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

I guess it might be higher, with the push on Steam? Maybe not.

5. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

I'm trying to justify to myself getting back into the game. I'm stuck on that Starr Long quote from a while ago that they need 50K active accounts monthly to be profitable. Maybe that has changed drastically with the downsizing.

Tabatha likes this.
  6. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

One question: Why?
    I am not sure, and do not understand these questions/statements.
    If you like the game, just play? heck even take a subscription to show your support to the team.

7. Katu

Katu Avatar

Atleast, several sites and leaked data from steam, shows about 50k steam owners ( derivated from the data, based on achievements unlocked ) ( it atleast shows, that quite big partition of owners actually used steam at some point ) and currently steamcharts shows bout 150 concurrent players at any given time, peaking 250.
    Now, these are mere guideline numbers ofc. Some may have started with steam, then switched to stand alone ( and otherway around also ). Steamcharts sample size is still good ( I think ), to create visualisation about the trend.

But, who cares. Its free to play now. Jump in and don't worry about Portalariums business model.

Sources:
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/
    https://steamcharts.com/app/326160

K1000, Alleine Dragonfyre and Tabatha like this.
  8. Tabatha

Tabatha Avatar

Investment. MMOs are meant to be played for 5+ years. They are where you invest up to thousands of hours of your life and sometimes thousands of dollars.

I mean, you wouldn't invest time and money into fixing a car if you knew it was going to die soon anyways, right? Same logic applies elsewhere with your time and money. Sucks, but that's life.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've been playing SotA for 4 years.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello @MightyUnclean . I hope you have have been well. As others say just jump in. Lots of barriers people complained of have been taken down such as you can now by-pass sieges.

We have a new scroll called 'teleport to zone' which remembers all locations you visit. Places visited in the past don't count. Carrying such a scroll gives you an in-depth description of each location visited by clicking on the scroll and then the location and the control key. It is awesome.

Also you don't have to enter control point areas on the map anymore. You can just walk past them. No gates block your map progress.

These are just a few quality of life changes. Also the fishing enhancements finally are happening.

And another thing that can be played around with but isn't fully implemented is that anyone can have a basement and a dungeon to build

But truly do not force yourself to play. This young game will continue to enhance and improve over time. The devs have promised they are going for it. *Cheers*

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Is it that time of the month again?

Feeyo likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Don't worry about it. Just come back and play. There are always people in scenes, and on the overworld map, there's not a shortage of players. Doomsayers said we'd never see the end of 2017. Then they said we'd be finished by the end of 2018. Meanwhile you're missing out on gaming. Let Port worry about their profits.

If the game does go down and end at some point, don't you want to have memories of actually playing it ?

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I am so tired of every month the “OMG! Steam numbers!!!”.

First, and foremost, the one and ONLY number that is of any interest, is the monthly fundraising. That’s what keeps the game going. Month to month. Period.

Steam numbers mean nothing. Hell, most people (myself included), don’t use steam. (It’s WAY more efficient to use the stand alone installer). Again, steam numbers do NOT fund the game month to month.

Play the game. Enjoy it? Fantastic! Have some issues? Join in the various discussions on topics, and provide some good constructive feedback!

Of note, we are so damn close to that fishing dungeon piece!!!! :D

Xee, Sean Silverfoot, Feeyo and 3 others like this.
  14. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

I also have been playing for almost a Year & don't use Steam at all...
    I always log in via the "Launcher".

Feeyo likes this.
  15. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Just Curious Tabatha, you have a low post count (which means little, as perhaps you prefer not to engage in any discussions)

I am just wondering, do you play Shroud currently?
    If not when did you last play?

Just asking this as I have been here almost 1 year.
    In my time here, so MANY things have changed, from the players perspective.

I have to say, that Shrouds Developers, overall, are willing to listen to Player feedback & make changes if deemed reasonable/logical, based on the feedback from Players.

The Shroud Dev Team, overall... Listen to the Player base.

FrostII likes this.
  16. Xul Rasha

Xul Rasha Avatar

No, with time being such a limited resource, I'd much rather put time into a game with a higher probability to be around 3-5 years from now.

Wow, that's crazy - Steam has been a staple application for many gamers. I've been using Steam since 2003 with 193 games.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Tiki Pirate and MrBlight like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

This game started out being developed without steam. Many of us have been here way before marketing it to steam came on board. I also don't play on steam but I understand many enjoy it. So no worries.

The point is players can play this game free if they like. They can also get a taxed free deed from doing the quest lines. No investment and the game is still young and the Devs plan to keep improving it.

In my opinion we have a beautiful world already with lots of fun and are just missing some more basics like tasks/achievement systems, sound work, and lore to tie the world together with better. Scenes will not seem so separate then and it will add so much to the feeling of the game.

Everyone does not need to use steam that is a choice and many who started in the kickstarting phases of this game started without it but no worries. I'm not arguing the merits or lack of for steam. I wish everyone to use steam or not depending on their preference.

If someone enjoys the game they just do. I happen to have a lot of hope for its future and I am here because of that. I will keep rallying for this game to get those basics in and anyone who needs help I am available to assist in game as well if they need. I am Majoria in this game. I've been around since 2013.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Sean Silverfoot and FrostII like this.
  18. dcyumyum

dcyumyum Avatar

Not that it makes a difference but I use Steam.

Tiki Pirate likes this.
  19. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Ok, thanks guys. I'd might as well give it a try. I'm a pretty casual player, anyway. I just shy away from any long-term MMO investment that I'm uncertain about, usually, because of the time investment involved.

Jaesun likes this.
  20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m pretty much a casual player too, and only started around release 40 something... I’m now doing just fine. Just feel free to ask any questions. The community here is beyond awesome, and is always happy to help.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as we all do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.