Things I wish I knew b4 butchering my way through ep-1 2x (Spoiler Free)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jekyll, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

• Its easy to force your way through, but you shouldn't. This can throw a lot of gamers off an appropriate course - its more of a tightrope walk than it appears to be, because you can easily brute force your way through. (exploiting resurrection points, using overpowered yet incorrect equipment, wiki, etc)
    • Take it one step at a time - if it feels boring and grindy, maybe play something else for a spell.
    • Spend time fighting "weaker" mobs. I know its fun to solo those yellow and oranges because of the XP payoff - but learning /how/ to fight is equally important as being capable to.
    • Experiment with locked glyphs, free-attack, and various builds - there is a lot of depth lurking underneath the hood that an eager powergamer might overlook.
    • Be weary of practice dummies for these same reasons - yes you can quickly level up a skill, provided you have the XP pool - but knowing how to apply a skill in the field is a bigger part of the puzzle.
    • Don't worry about gold too much.
    • Slow down! Enjoy the ride. I really zoomed my way through because of the 2x XP bonus, which was a mistake. I effectively finished the episode and then had to learn how to play...Theres a LOT of content in the main story. Play when you have the appetite for it and don't torture yourself grinding at something you aren't in the mood for. That being said, however, grinding and farming monsters is a wonderful time to contemplate skills, builds, and decks.
    I know to many this post will be obvious and lamer, but to others it will potentially be a nice warning to slow down you're entering a construction zone and there is a speed limit sign.

It used to be that the control points were locked and deadly, for example - I used to just bite the bullet and go through them as a ghost when I first started... I was so focused on completing this or that.

But if you just slow down a moment, and pay attention, it really blossoms.
    I hope a few gamers having trouble finding the pocket can stumble on this thread and it will help them.

2. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

About housing, because some people seem to be getting caught here too:

• When you finish act1 (episode? act?) you'll get a row lot deed - which is plenty imho. There are lots of player run towns that are totally decent and the taxes will keep you busy. There is a lot of room in those row houses, and you'll have to do a lot of adventuring to being even filling one up. Yes we all know the power of a vendor in a choice location... But if you provide a legit service and are in a player-run town where people know you and so on all you're really missing is the initial foot-traffic of new players who haven't discovered bombastic player-towns yet.
    • Before you can even consider paying the taxes of the more spiffy establishments you also must consider if you can even furnish a larger place. Don't get caught up in the perceived pissing contest of housing, and let your own housing grow naturally and earnestly. It will be meaningful and stronger. Focus on the adventure! Its ok to be a measly peasant amidst lords and ladies as your adventure continues.

3. dynastichero

dynastichero Avatar

Sound like good advice for real life...lol

4. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Oh, well mostly I meant that despite being prominently featured everywhere you look, housing is a bit more of a late-game consideration for your average avatar who wasn't a pre-release backer beast.

Sean Silverfoot and Boo Ladedada like this.
  5. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

I second all of this. Very true. Listen to @Stealth2

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Excellent advice! That’s pretty much how I play. I just take my time and learn new stuff. :D

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Excellent post and great advice! Thanks for taking the time to post it!

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

You know we're gonna speed run Ep 2 when it comes out, right ? But I agree... good advice for newbs

Stealth2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.