Longtime Ultima player fundamentally disappointed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tomprogers, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

I did notice they have DoS attack issues that Shroud’s model seems to have mitigated for us..

Elwyn likes this.
  2. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

I took a look at LoA for a bit and my goodness is that boring. I don't know which I am more amazed to see:
    (1) That it is as simple and boring as it is.
    or
    (2) The people who have gone all in on that game.

Jaesun likes this.
  3. Makkion74

Makkion74 Avatar

The possibility of DDOS is only a little problem with LoA, it's all the rest of the graphic sector, animations, combat, houses, and those who have more 'put it and' the real focus of the issue .... at this point it is better to play, if you really one keeps us, in Divinity 2, 10000 times better than that indie game that everyone seems to expect as the miracle of the role play ......

4. Makkion74

Makkion74 Avatar

The people jump in other games for try something different, but it does not mean that then they remain, in fact sometimes it is good, my aunt said, never leave the old way for the new one, you know what you lose, you do not know what you find, and if what you find is LoA, well you're close to the ravine .....

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think its a case of different strokes for different folks. Personally I’d like to see this game have that many players....But I guess this game is too much work for many. Most of the negativity on reddit seems to center around RMT and feeling like you’ll “never catch up”

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  6. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

This game is on the verge of being brilliant but is also teetering on the edge of completely screwing it up at the same time, elements of this game such as the decks could really make this game something different and special if managed correctly. But other items that aren't completely wrong, just not right, might put everyone off before they get to the brilliant stage.

7. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Record yourself making a full set of armor so I can watch it for the excitement please.

Cordelayne, MrBlight and Addison like this.
  8. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    What you said rings soo very true. I myself started with Ultima Serpent Isle. It was the best I ever played at the time . Then came Ultima online which threw me into a world I never believed could exist. At that time being online was not cheap and here in the UK we had to pay per hour so I was only able to play an hour per day envying all my American friends who where already on unlimited internet. And the magic dial up tone were magic to my ears as playtime was beckoning

9. Makkion74

Makkion74 Avatar

Yes all is great, Ultima IV is my first role play, after 5-6-7-8, for work i have not played Ultima Online, a very masterpiece of mmorpg, no one game recreate the feeling of Ultima, but Richard Garriot and the dev need time to trasform SOTA in something special and new, time to make change on the system quest, some thing like weapon back, factions, mounts they are missing and true, but give time and i sure this game become great, like the other Ultima, the dev change many from the old stasus of SOTA, add a lot of thing and make great change in combat animation and in the performance, but for a big project like this the dev need time.
    When i play SOTA i think to play the future Ultima, if someone now play LoA play a awful copy of Ultima Online, with no story and no atmosphere of the Saga of Ultima......time will give me reason.

10. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

1. I having a blast and not boring at all. By the way check out MarkeeDragons Videos. He has build up a huge Guild and having also great fun with LOA.
    You know why not accept that some may love both Games? Or one of them only.
    But LoA for me is the total opposite of boring for a very budget friendly Game.

This is my House i have build with the Mining you think is so borin in LOA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love it just as much as the days i had a house in my favorite spot in SotA:

[​IMG]

Lont time ago it is.

I did check back into SotA not long ago. And i think both Game have their own audience by now.

LoA does server for my purpose more the Game i was looking for as i was looking for the MMO part of the SotA Promise with a System that connects Bad and Good Playstyle.
    LoA is serving my needs.

Also i already did have my RPG Moments.

I am currently dressing my Vendor different, doing treasure hunts, fishing for maps, and trying to make my home nicer and my shop cooler looking.
    I am nervous when i am in the Mines.
    I have had 3 PK encounters in 1 Month. 2 i have set a bounty against to deliver my head.
    I am making funny Packpacks for all guilds on my Server with Coloring.

My biggest fun moment is that i was the first to find out that the Hex Codes work also for the Chat.
    So all did go crazy when i suddenly talked "in living color" in the Chatwindow at the Valus Bank in LoA.

So just posting because i am one that is heavy invested in LoA. Let me think - Yes. i did spend 60 Euro total as a backer back then on kickstarter.

Also no Cash Shop - but i hope one will come . As they need to get a cash flow.

So end of my post.

Simon be amazed about me. Happy you are.

Take care

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  11. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I call that MMO Cherry Pop Syndrome. It's when we get that "omg this is the most amazing game ever" feeling many of us had when we played our first MMO. For many of us it was UO... or SWG. It's a feeling that we are now forever chasing. Hoping one developer or another will give us that sublime fix of a feeling we once had. A big part of it was because many of us were young, even children, capable still of that endearing "child-wonderment" we get when seeing something our young minds found fantastic, new and exciting.

Two things on this:

1) We can never go home
    2) Developers seem to not care about the game systems we all say made us originally feel that first fix, I've found, even here.

Cassandra Corax likes this.
  12. Makkion74

Makkion74 Avatar

for Myrcello

I disagree absolutely, but not because one has to play only on one or the other,LoA it's just boring, the combat is really of a mortal bore, to kill 3 bears I fall asleep in front of the monitor, two because and 'already old' inside as gameplay, there 'little to do, whether you post or not the photos that put even more' in evidence the fact.
    Then one can make all the guilds he wants, houses and castles, always of old appears, always looks old.
    When it does the animation of the spells, it's something I saw in the first games of the 90s, SOTA is the future, LoA it's an indie to remember the past.

Make this with LoA if possible?.....i don't think....

PS: when post a picture of SOTA, post something new, not the 2015.....and not with this visual, SOTA has more better visual 3d, and better ambient, more better.

PPS: the difference in combat mechanics and animation and graphics is too high, sorry it is the hard reality....when an mmo have the combat like the early games of 90' is not very interesting, ok in the age of Ultima Online, but now in 2018 there is something different to play, better, more better also for PVP open.....take time, the thing now left in SOTA, one day has implemented, take time, patience is the VIRTUE of the strong.

Sure time will give me reason

Take care

13. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

hehe. you have the same problem on your fan videos i did have with SotA.
    you can only use the camera from the back during movement. was sad when they made that.

But nice video.

you can look at the 7 Videos i did make during the time i was still excited about SoTa visiting my youtube site.

3 i copy in here:

my BDO one:

almost like you are challenging me to proof that i can make a LoA video. i may take the challenge.

But you know.

I truly wish you are right. Just did feel like i had to defend a Developer Team making with 100 000 Dollars a UO Successor with LOA. I think they are doing good.
    Just like i once defended SotA Development Team during the time i did feel they are doing all good.

Dwalin Bombardin and Cordelayne like this.
  14. Makkion74

Makkion74 Avatar

BDO?

No thanks, i just have Street Fighter V and Soul Calibur, thank, i prefer real role play, for the clone of Dinasty Warriors and a beat'em up i'm full in Steam....sorry

I not fan, i like SOTA, i search a very role play, butthe visual like LoA and the combat is too old, only this, it's my opinion, but don't post game most different from both the game we talk.

For the rest nice your video of SOTA, i hope you change your ideas one day, and i repeat the time make the difference, remember, the time and patience is the real difference....

PS: but some recent video no?.....change something SOTA in this years, i think....

PPS: It's simple to copy and paste one game from the past, more difficult is make something new, a big new project it's more difficult....

15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It's futile to attempt to change people's opinions on what game they like and what they don't. Either you like it or you don't. Coming up with reasons to like something is just a waste of time that you could just spend to enjoy what you instantly like to do without having thoughts.

I spent over thousands of hours playing SotA since 2014, but lately I could not commit too much time into it. Many activities that I used to do require too much time to do without interruption to enjoy it fully. I tried LoA a little bit, but couldn't get myself commit to the game either. It would have been different if I were still in college and have a bunch of friends to play together for at least 2-3 uninterrupted hours.

Meanwhile I spent more time on Kenshi, which is a straight up sandbox RPG/RTS game. The graphic is not top notch, but the game loop definitely scratches many aspect that I'm looking for (isometric view, build my own stories, towns, and most importantly I can pause the game and step out whenever and quickly resume without going through the hurdle of online authentication)

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. oplek

oplek Avatar

I tend to think that streamers shouldn't create guilds/clans/corps/etc. There's a crowd of people who will join in with whatever they're doing. He did the same with SOTA. And when he moves on to the next game, that he's espouse as being the "spiritual successor" to UO, that guild will become an abandoned ghost town, like Lunar Dragons.

17. Makkion74

Makkion74 Avatar

I do not want anybody to change his mind, mine is just a consideration on LoA, a game that is inspired by the past, and knows of old even just to see it, that's all.
    Then anyway both are mmo, what you say is a sinlge player, has nothing to do with the context.

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

*opens fridge and looks dissapointed*
    Who drank all the haterade?

Sean Silverfoot and Addison like this.
  19. Addison

Addison Avatar

Lol, why, do you want some Arkah? ;)

I'm not so sure it's that people are "hating" on Shroud, rather like the title stated, folks are "fundamentally disappointed". I can admit to being one of those people, but I don't hate the game and genuinely support it's continued development despite that disappointment. I find it discouraging at times that I get vilified for stating my disappointment here on the forums. Isn't this supposed to be the outlet for me to voice those concerns in a lucid, reasonable and respectful way? Personally, I think it's wonderful there are people that love what Shroud is currently. That is terrific! Yet, shouldn't I be able to voice my opinion as well without acrimony or insult? I'm not singling you out Arkah, you are always respectful to others, I am speaking broadly here. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Cyin, Astirian and Arkah EMPstrike like this.
  20. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

@Myrcello I meant nothing personally. My opinions on LoA or SotA are 100% mine alone. Enjoy what you do, man.

Addison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.