Incoming COTO Devaluation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Floors, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Everything will now cost 100 times more for Cotos.

Lord Trady of Blix and K1000 like this.
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It's not a devaluation, it's a RE-valuation. I take it you've never heard of a "stock split"? Because that's exactly what this is. It's a stock split for COTOs.

The change in the price of new COTOs is another matter, but I have heard they were planning to reduce store prices in general anyhow. It also means that if you buy now, you can take advantage of the current prices!

The linked article specifically states a 1:100 exchange. Where did you get 65 from?

More specifically, the eight kinds of COTOs was kind of really dumb from the start. Being for just one kind of buff potion meant you never got the one you wanted in a drop, so it diluted people being able to get the good feeling of finding one, It was too complicated and fiddly, and being able to get COTOs back in change at all made an exploit possible. And that's why they did away with the other colors.

The reason they're re-valuing COTOs is so that they can apply store sales in-game without rounding screwing up low-end prices. 20% off of 2 is either zero or one, but 20% off of 200 is 160. In other words, COTOs needed pennies, and the only ways to do that are add a pennies and have two currencies (fiddly and leaves open potential exploits with conversion), or reprice them.

FrostII, K1000 and Jaesun like this.
  3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

COTOs were 1400-1600 at persistence.

What limits? I know I've bought 32767 metal scrap before. So shouldn't it be more like 320 of today's COTOs?

I think that will be one of the trickiest parts, because you will have to know how to shift-click an exact amount. Or they could add a button that selects the entire number needed to do full repairs. It bugs me when I hear about people talk about using "a coto" for repair as though you can forever use a single COTO for repairs, when even the second one repairs less than the first.

4. Tabatha

Tabatha Avatar

Except they got rid of that a long time ago. I'm carrying around a few plat (1b gold per 1 plat) and it weighs nothing. Because it's now like wow, a number on your character, not an item in your backpack. And man, it's so much better this way.

Mishikal likes this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

@Elwyn "The linked article specifically states a 1:100 exchange. Where did you get 65 from?" I divided the present COTO value in gold which is about 6500 by 100. Thus, if you went to a company COTO vendor in game, stuff that is priced at one COTO at present will change to 100 COTO after implementation. The item now is worth 6500 gold and after implementation still be 6500 gold in worth. Thus 6500/100 means one COTO is now worth 65 gold.

Edit for clarity

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Paladin Michael and dcyumyum like this.
  6. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Elwyn; I beg to differ on the second coto repair. If you do it at certain max dura loss it will repair the same max dura as the fits one several times.. There are certain swords I use and don't mind repairing with COTOs when needed :). R/Boris

dcyumyum likes this.
  7. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I don't CARE. They told us it was a load balancing thing when it really was not. It was a money thing. This incremental way they break news to this community is irritating and full of half-truths. They need to fracking be honest and thorough with information.

I am not the die-hard fan to the point where I'm an enabler of this behavior. Edit to add: regardless of the fact that I agree that smaller denominations are required to make the coto system work, the delivery of this plan was almost abusive.

8. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

What i see in this coto change, is price of coto will raise again. Because i was dropping 1-2 coto a week farming monsters, am i going to get 100-200 coto a week now? I BET not.
    I just see this as a malicious way to increase the value of coto and they will probably decrease again the value of our stuff from the store.
    Now what could be even worse, with this new change to masterwork crafting at level 100 that you can choose extra thing they probably gonna remove major repairing or make it cost something crazy.

Anyway, instead of silently nerfing stuff they should nerf polearm. ;)

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  9. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

Alleine, you were at Sotacon - Starr talked there about how eventually all things would move off the add-on store and into the game. My memory could be wrong here but I think he may even have said Q1. That was three months ago and it's been coming gradually since then. First bundle expirations, now all items going to the store.... The COTO value change is the way that this gets implemented and frankly doesn't really change anything beyond where the decimal point lands.

10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

What are you even talking about? I didn't say I had a problem with the plan. I said I had a problem with the delivery of the news.

Addison likes this.
  11. Addison

Addison Avatar

Which to this sassy Sally has been an ongoing issue for awhile. :D

I'm not discounting the amount of effort made by the Port team, but communication hasn't always been the best. I know that if I didn't check the forums regularly I would have no idea what is going on. Even when I do, I still miss a bunch! ;)

12. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

What they should do now that the conversion is complete is add the colored cotos back into the loot table and call them something else.

Just as a rare deco drop.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

I have heard of stock splits. I am not someone without knowledge of the world. That's how I can afford to play Sota :)

It's a re-valuation DOWN... which is.... a devaluation. Right ?

The value of 1 COTO will be worth LESS than it currently is. Which means it has been devalued.

And as Barugon stated... you'll now get less cotos for your money with the new ways they're gonna sell them, 15 percent less or so.

There are some silver linings tho, which this thread has amply stated. So I feel okay with it.

Have a good one :)

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Definately miss those old COTOS.... I would like them even if they're only Deco....

15. Addison

Addison Avatar

We are going down a Finance 101 rabbit hole here, but why not? It's fun! :)

Technically @Elwyn is correct that it is not a devaluation, if we are using the aforementioned stock split example.

Remember, the whole purpose for a publicly traded company to initiate a split is to increase liquidity due to the belief that the current stock price is too high or the price level is beyond that of similar companies in their respective industry. This is done to make the price more attractive to smaller investors. Therefore, although the number of outstanding shares increases and the price initially decreases, market capitilization remains constant. Meaning the value of the company is still the same after the split. Which makes total sense, right? Why would a company initiate a split if it devalued the PPS, thereby affecting market capitilization and making them less attractive for private investment? They simply wouldn't. :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Duke Gréagóir and Aldo like this.
  16. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

Sorry if I misunderstood you. I got the impression you were unhappy that they 'slipped this in' (my words, not yours) without much thought or notice. I was pointing out that Port had made this intention clear many months ago, including the reasoning about the PR/image that the game gets about the cash store.

Aldo likes this.
  17. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I see the splitting of cotos into new smaller coto denominations as a great move.

Now they can price small items as truly "micro" transactions. Allowing things like selling of single patterns etc.

Also making the coto worth less will increase the liquidity of the coto for igg market, for the same reason shares split when the price gets too high.

Regards
    Spung

Aldo likes this.
  18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I agree the with this. IMO the better path would have been to leave gold COTO alone, get rid of the various other metals except one (perhaps copper) and set the copper value at 100 copper/1 gold. This would fulfill your OP, and make the transition much easier.

This assumes the reason for the change was NOT for deco loading reasons. (Edited)

Addison and Duke Olahorand like this.
  19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Not really, because then they'd have to set addon store values in terms of copper COTOs or a mix of copper+gold. It is simpler just to have a single premium currency for micro-transactions.

20. Aelender

Aelender Avatar

Curious as to what will happen in the case of existing COTO's as deco. Will that single coin appear as many? or will it still be visible as one but 99 get added to your inventory? Or will it not convert and those who have them as deco will lose lots of value?

Can see a lot of ways this could go wrong, hope they have a good plan for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.