Been caught stealing, Once, when I was a newbie.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Stabbath, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

So just got to highvale outskirts, went up elevator, saw a sack by combat merchant. Looted it like I have been doing elsewhere and a guard spawns on my face fining me. No idea how much gold he took tho and curious. I took like 2 or 3 metal scraps, or fabric, something like that. This gonna hurt anything, like, is there reputation in this game? Will npcs respond differently? Really don't want to reroll again lol. My current gold is 666 (I think, appropriate number for stealing I guess, har.)666 gold seems good for a starting character, so guessing he didn't take much gold. Don't know how much I had before the fine.

FrostII likes this.
  2. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

My first instinct is to say don’t worry too much, just be more careful. Yes there is reputation in the game, one minor infraction shouldn’t hurt you too much.
    To be certain, visit the oracle. Look for a temple-like building in most major cities. Inside there’s an automaton like face - click on it to have a conversation. Ask all the questions you can, she will talk all about the paths of truth, love and courage.
    Also, and importantly, find the keyword TEST. She can test how you are travelling with respect to the virtues - do you think you are doing OK? If you answer yes, and she agrees with you, you’re fine. You also get a cash and XP bonus.
    If she really is down on you you may want to reroll but I think this early in the game you could easily salvage your reputation.
    IIRC, most private things should be highlighted in red- just s hint not to take them

Jaesun, FrostII and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  3. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

Yea, most seem to be labeled private in Resolute. Nothing is labeled as such in highvale outskirts that I've come across.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

The basis of the game, forgetting the sandbox portion, is about your reputation and how the Oracle "judges" you. As noted above a few small thefts can be overcome by doing more "good". A lot of things can affect your rep, the choices you make in any given quest. Ultimately it comes down to what color your Shroud will be when you finish all of the main quest lines. White "good", black "not so good". Some folks work the system so they can get a black Shroud.
    Personally I played the questline as it was meant to be played. Me making decisions that I would actually make based on my own real personal choices.
    All comes down to how you want to play it.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

I like making choices the way that I would, but when there's consequences or rewards, I sometimes reluctantly give in :)

6. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

/sigh. after some shots of rum and a beer, I stole again. habit from other games kicked in. Not rerolling this time (I did earlier). I'll just deal with it.

Found oracle in Resolute and got reward (before stealing this time around). I'm on courage path, dunno if stealing goes against courage path or not. Anyone know? Noticed a beggar out front. Gave him a coin. Will this help off set any "wrong" doing? Thanks for any input. I remember in Baldurs Gate, u could donate to raise rep. Wondering if this game does the same.

7. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

You have individual scores that the oracle keeps tabs on. I believe they're Truthfulnesa, Love, and Courage. I suppose kleptomania falls under Truth.

I accidentally stole once as a newb fresh off the lunar rift. I wouldn't worry about it. Always remember to tell your true name to NPCs. Even fragging kiddos doesn't irk the oracle as much as that.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  8. VioletTox

VioletTox Avatar

I think she actually tracks more than just those three, but gives us a score for the three based on the results from your virtues (I.e. you can have great courage and Love scores but have a terrible "sacrifice" virtue (which is a combine of both)). At least that is how I think it works in the end, might be completely wrong

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just finish all 3 Outskirts areas. Your Virtue should be good when finishing all 3.

Also be sure to tell people your name, ask people for help and kill Cultists.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

For your first offense and for an item that low, you probably lost like 20g max. It does say it in your chat log, it might have been buried within lots of other scrolling text.

The justicar is stupid and non immersive. We need to be able to fight back, evade, escape, etc. The reputation hit can happen no matter what, but I think outside of town, we need the ability to silence the justicar as well (and I would imagine Justicar is at least tier 4, if not tier 5 mob).

The justicar just appearing out of no where and having no means of combat is just silly.

Helvig Ingvildsdottir likes this.
  11. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I totally agree! Even worse if you are hidden before and directly after taking the item and there is absolutely no NPC around that could have seen you. Who called the justicar?

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

The Oracle sees all.....lol

13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Maybe just cave to your instincts and go dark. There are some benefits to it, like being able to use the Jack of Diamonds hooligan airship for whatever it is they do up there.

Kara Brae, Jaesun and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  14. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

If you lose enough virtue, the Shroud you earn at the end of EP1 quest will be in black color.
    They look cool (not like the white towel everyone else wears) and will have different status bonuses.

margaritte and Kara Brae like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

White towel over football shoulder pads.

Elwyn likes this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yes, but it means you are not virtuous and hence not to be trusted. ;)

Hopefully everyone is wearing less towels soon with back slot items getting stats. We'll see... :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  17. Verit

Verit Avatar

You can walk right through the door but not escape the long arm of the law!
    Good luck avatar.

Jaesun and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Related.... When dealing with NPCs, especially in shops it is easy to double click on deco on the table or wall. Instant Justicar results. Be sure your cursor is on the NPC!

19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If instead of "Take All", the button says "Steal All", or you get a red arrow instead of green, it's going cost you some truth virtue to take stuff. We now have some visibility into the system thanks to stats on the Shroud, and from what I've seen, barrels/crates, and sacks/cabinets that don't say "Steal All" currently seem to be safe. But don't be bad, mmmmkay?

This is not easy to do, because the average of all three of your virtues has to be low enough, and some virtues are easy to raise. With truth at max negative, and love/courage at max positive, your shroud will still be toothpaste white. Even more difficult is the gray shroud (I have not seen one yet), presumably from keeping everything (average?) as close to zero as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.