Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeddicus Zorander, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

I am fine with the trophy fish being rare but when they are also an ingredient in +5 int food that's my issue.... there should be a solution to make getting the +int food easier. I mean dragons almost always drop a haunch and I can solo a dragon in a few minutes and that food is rated higher than the +int fish food. Anyway I'm glad we came to an agreement on this.

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

The only solution I can see it in the yields, if a shark made 30 or 40 steaks then that might solve it.

StarLord, Synergy Blaize and Verit like this.
  3. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Balance shouldn't (and probably doesn't) really play any role in food availability. If magic is OP, then it's other more significant things that need to be adjusted, not some +5 int fish cakes.

Net likes this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I think I’m this case it’s magic is not OP but needs more help. It’s way more difficult to get shark steaks vrs the melee equivalent say obsidian versions.

Lazlo likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm agreeing with you. I just mean that I don't think balance considerations are any reason for int food to be much less available than the other stuff.

6. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I think system is perfectly fine.

7. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

says the melee user. lol :)

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Of course magic is OP, even original poster admits soloing dragons in minutes. Yea, some rare top melee do 1500 damage on coup de grace, most people do not, more like 700 and in any event we have to be mages to get resistance which is super annoying....But we want common +5 foods to help mages even more, moar soloing in mins !!! Maybe the devs got it right ?amd throw us poor knights a bone with our bear and wolf foods ? Just a thought !!

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Umm I’d bet if anyone bothered to look it up 80% of dragons are killed by polearms or sword Then bows would fill out the next 15%. Just saying dragons have sick MR.

At one time bows were the king of dragons but That slacked off about a year ago.

Synergy Blaize and FrostII like this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

I for one would like to actually see what those metrics are, if the devs would make them available for us.

Jaesun and Brass Knuckles like this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Me two... I know 15-20 people who solo them and none of them R a mage. I know one archer who solos the ancient dragon but after watching him I would not expose my mouse to that much abuse.

FrostII and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

+1 with OP. I'm all for rare things and very rare things - but I've been fishing for countless hours, nearly GM'ed every fishing skill, look for the best fishing POT spots.. and haven't caught 1 rare fish yet. In fact, I don't know any players who have (not saying there aren't.. I just don't know any). I think the rarity has been set way too high.

FrostII likes this.
  13. Floors

Floors Avatar

But yet in a 30 minute window super rare Dunk got caught by fishers in the livestream. Did they "seed" those Dunks so they could be caught ? Hmm....

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I believe that I can put the OP's rare (food) comments into some perspective regarding the time spent gathering the main ingredients for the new rare fish +5 Int foods - compared to our+6 Str foods, +5 Dex foods.

Let me start by saying that when I heard that fishing was finally coming, I took the skill to 107 by 10/26/2018.

Today I spent a good deal of time (2-3hrs) searching ChatLogs and have some data on fishing, beginning on 8 Dec.

I am embarrassed to admit this, but since 8 Dec I have fished for a total of 5,019 minutes (83.65 hrs).
    (Having said that, I know of at least 2 Avatars who've fished for a LOT more time than that - and their results are similar to mine).

Over those 5,019 minutes of fishing, I have caught a total of 3,043 fish (which includes a fair share of cloth junk).
    Of those 3,043 fish, I caught 4 of the rare fish (2 Swordfish, 1 Sailfish, 1 Sturgeon, 0 Pike, 0 Shark, 0 Marlin, 0 Gar) which are needed to make the new fish +5 Int 4hr foods.

Bear Surprise gives +6 Str and -2 Dex for 4 hrs, Wolf Surprise gives +5 Dex for 4 hrs.
    Common fish give +2 Int for 40 mins or +1 misc attunement for 40 mins
    Rare fish give +5 Int and +3 in either Bladed, Bludgeon, or Polearms for 4 hrs - with the exception of Shark Steak which gives you +10 Strength for 4 hrs

I can go to Deep Ravenswood and typically get the ingredients for several +6 Str or +5 Dex meals in 15 mins.
    That's 15 mins compared to 5,019 mins to catch 4 rare fish (that I of course mounted, duh).
    That's a whopping .0013% chance to land a fish that you probably won't butcher for that 4hrs of +5 Int meal - but rather mount (given how cool the mounts are compared to a few +5 Int meals).

That - is the state of "rare" fishing.

Oh, and skills ?
    110 Fishing, 110 Saltwater, 101 Fresh, 101 Fetid, 101 Lava.

As to Lord Trady's question:
    I'm guessing Chris cranked the odds up for that livestream tourney (which I attended) and subsequently cranked them down.... and missed at least 1 decimal point in the process.

I do love what Port has done with the new fish as far as how great they all look mounted (complete with who caught, when, where)..... very well done on that part. Not so hot on the odds to catch good fish meals.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  15. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

Just work on a swordfish, got 4 filet that's gave me only four meal... sad but buff from those are pretty sweet!

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  16. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Thanks for doing the math, Frostll. Those numbers sound like odds for winning the lottery.

Synergy Blaize, Beli, Hazard and 2 others like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Pretty much the way it is currently, @By Tor
    Hope Chris takes a look at my numbers.......

Synergy Blaize, Beli and By Tor like this.
  18. Beli

Beli Avatar

Your right, odds are better in real life. I catch these fish every time I go fishing, except for a sturgeon. I have never caught one, but of course I fish a lot in real life and I know we talking about in a game right now. Just saying we cant compare it to real life.

FrostII likes this.
  19. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

If you want him to look at your numbers, tag him, or better yet message him direct. Totally agree that's way too rare.

As far as the whole other convo about OP dmg, I don't care, I'm an archer. :)

Barugon and FrostII like this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Chris doesn't have time to check every @ to him on the forums, that would be a full time job in itself. We all do it anyway, just hoping...
    Anyway, I just sent him a message and we'll see...

Beli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.