Founders, Benefactors, and doing the right thing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Who cares if Benefactors gain Founder status? The point that disturbs me is that of Founders taking advantage of a loophole to pad their own accounts through referral benefits in order to influence the pecking order of access in the land rush. To me, that is grossly unfair and unscrupulous on the part of Portalarium to allow that (if not the whole pecking order system within tiers); nevermind the opportunists -- they can't help themselves.

Also, I remember an interview in which RG said they wouldn't be trying to "squeeze blood from turnips" but isn't that taking place on some level? What was the gain of new backers from the three million mark to now? Several hundred backers and $142,000 + injected into the SotA maw? I'd say there's been turnip squeezing going on.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Grayhawk was questioning an assumption Gracekain was making, that this was something people should have expected, and that was something specifically requested and asked for by Founders. I don't understand why you're turning it back around on her.

Mordecai and Grayhawk like this.
  3. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Nope, they give folks who upgrade the accounts a $25.00 credit which reduces the amount they are bringing into the game by shelling it right back out.

Grayhawk likes this.
  4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

The problem is that you are considering fuzzy announcements of features as a promises. I have yet to see a promise that was broken. The community asked to be able to gift pledges after the cut off. That promise was fulfilled, and Founders are gifting pledges.

Once can argue the implementation of that system was sloppy, but saying that promises were broken is over-reaching.

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  5. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I'm hoping it will be acceptable given that I didn't direct it at anyone in particular, and said that everyone does it, and no matter the direction they go people will do it. :) I try hard not to whine, I always look for positive spins on things... but sometimes I let my whining escape :D

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

I don't think it's a loophole. It's a feature to encourage people to market the game for potassium. Woking as specified.

Lord Baldrith and Umbrae like this.
  7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I am not trying to turn anything back on her. I simply objected to the thought that Portalarium has broken promises when in fact this issue is due to them fulfilling one.

If I am mistaken as to Grayhawks statements then I apologize, but my point is the same.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

the fact that someone who just joined can spend extra money to be a founder - and then upgrade OTHER people to be a founder, is amazing

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Darned auto correct...

10. Grayhawk

Grayhawk Avatar

I don't see a difference between an "announcement of features" and "promises" if the announcement was made to affect people spending money for what has been announced.

Mordecai likes this.
  11. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

You'd have to assume that those people would otherwise upgrade themselves if not given an opportunity to get credit for getting backers. I wasn't planning on going to lord till this came out, and if I dont get 19 more people to upgrade through me by April I'll have to pay the rest of the way myself, something I really don't want to do. So I'm assuming quite a bit of risk here.

So for me personally and likely some of the other people doing the discounted rates, this is really a pure $40 going straight back to them. Unless they run out of Lord pledges, I don't think we are anywhere near that though.

Bodhbh Deargh likes this.
  12. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Esteemed Backers,

I would like to weigh in personally on this complex subject. First, we remain eternally grateful to you those who have supported this project, and for whom we literally work, in our quest to bring you the game you hope for. Second, when we began almost a year ago, it was difficult to foresee all the possible complexities that would arise, and also some inherent self-contradictions we might create. I hope you understand that on this, and other subjects, our dear hope is to treat everyone with kindness and fairness, as we feel utterly in your service with our proceedings. To that end, we continue to strike the balance between keeping the original goals and promises intact and insuring that any contradictions are managed with the least impact we can. Often, there is no perfect solution.

We appreciate your helping us in both unearthing these potential inconsistencies and for your proposals for potential solutions. Please bear with us, as we strive to do what is fair and best for you. Please also continue to look for loopholes and issues, and know we are committed to getting it as right as possible. Finally, please also help us keep the community “on track”, once we have vetted the options, and made a decision which we hope will support the intent of the original agreements and expansions we have made over time.

Sorry for any confusion,
    Richard “Lord British” Garriott

Aeryk, Logain, Lady Elayne and 32 others like this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

Viral marketing. I think it's brilliant.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Grayhawk was pointing to the original statement, and saying that they never promised the gifted pledges would be Founder pledges. So she was pointing out that this wasn't ever a promise they made. I don't see a problem with her pointing that out at all...

Golem Dragon and Mordecai like this.
  15. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

It was made clear that if we didn't get our cash to Portalarium by a certain date, we would no longer be able to get Founder stuff. This is what Portalarium has gone back on. How this is fuzzy is beyond me, seeing as almost every pledge level on the website explains the criteria for being a founder (see below*).

* Exclusive Early Founder Rewards are only available to Backers who pledged any amount by May 20, 2013

16. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Well then I expect you will have a lot of disappointments in your life. Because I see no where in the statements you have quoted where "We promise" is used. I see the system that was implemented pretty much what they described, and no one should be held accountable to the assumptions of others. Our current legal system is bad enough.

17. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Thanks for weighing in RG! This is exactly what was needed. I will gladly bear with Portalarium while you strive to do what is fair and best for the community. I look forward to the results of these efforts.

18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

So they set themselves up for contradictions. They were trying to be fair, and to help people out who couldn't afford a big pledge by kickstarters end by allowing upgrades, payment plans, gifting systems. That werent in place by May 20th. They allowed these upgrades to take place for 1 year so people could get their finances to where they could afford it.

It's all been in the name of giving us what we wanted. I'm glad I still have the option of upgrading my pledge at the original price.

IF anyone should be upset its Richard Garriott because he now has to sign even more stuff :D

19. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

So by not saying something you are promising the opposite? I need to remember that one. :)

I don't have a problem with her stating her opinion. I am just stating mine and I personally believe you cannot take a single sentence, or a series of different non-related sentences (i.e. different announcements), and construe that as a promise of things not stated. Those are assumptions. That is all I am saying.

Lord Baldrith, skinned and Mishri like this.
  20. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I would expect nothing less from our beloved Lord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.