Crafting Mastery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam Crow, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

So I've been trying to think of a fun addition to crafting without completely changing the current system. The basic idea is that every time you apply an enchant or masterwork there would be a chance you gain mastery for that specific buff.

Once you gain mastery, you can then apply that specific buff by using a different recipe, I was thinking just double the current recipe. So for 10 gold ingots and 20 mandrake, the list of all the enchantments you have mastered would pop up so you can select which one to apply.

At low levels you would have a very small chance like .1% to master a buff. And the more times you apply that specific buff, the chance to master would increase. So for example if you have applied damage avoidance 50 or 100 times, your chance to master could max out at like 5%. Specialization could then increase this chance even more and also make the buffs a little stronger. (The actual %'s I came up with would probably need to be adjusted a bit, but I thought it would be easier to explain with some numbers)

It would be great if each buff was tracked individually. And the mastery would get unlocked once you train an advanced crafting skill like armor enchantment. From the skills "k" menu you could click on armor enchantment and it could show a list of all the buffs - if you've mastered a buff, how many times you've applied each buff, and the %chance you have to master each individual buff.

When you get lucky and finally master something it could give the level up/artifact animation and put text on the screen saying, "you've just mastered "x" enchantment/masterwork.

I think this would make crafting a lot more fun and add a sense of progress/achievement that is currently lacking. It would also remove the need for alts as someone non-specialized could still compete with those that are. But it doesn't completely remove the idea of using alts, since with specialization you would be getting a small bonus to the buffs you specialized in.

This would also make actually crafting things important. Right now all you need to do is gather until you have a huge producer pool, drink an obsidian potion of guidance, make items for 10 minutes, and boom your a grandmaster. I would prefer if actually making items had more control of how good a crafter someone is, and I believe this idea would help remedy that situation.

Anyone have any thoughts on something like this?

2. Phoenix007

Phoenix007 Avatar

Personally I don't like your proposition. I waiting on what will be the specialization.
    Specialization skill is better as a buff (many think was already random in crafting, we need to reduce the random).
    That is my opinion.

3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I'm not looking forward to specialization that they've been talking about at all. Sounds like a bandaid to fix a system that needs a lot more than a bandaid.

All the serious crafters will just have a bunch of alts and be able to produce whatever they want because they grinded gathering and refining for hours and hours.

I want to see a system that actually rewards crafters for their work at actually crafting items.

Do you like the fact you can mine for 2 months and then become a grandmaster at every single trade in the game? Cause what I've heard of their plans, that will still be the case.

4. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

I spent 6 months and 2-3 hours per weeknight AND at least 6-8 hours per day on weekends to get my character to GM all producer skills. Where your getting 2 months I would like to know because I would have loved to cut that down. I am looking forward to specialization because it will focus the crafter to focus on one skill set to become the best out there. It is not like we can share experience between alts or something like that. Either way you have to put in the time to get the producer experience.

Sara Dreygon and Barugon like this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Well for someone to create a specialized alt you don't need to gm all the skills only a couple. My main problem with the system is you can mine around 1250 nodes and then gm a crafting skill. That can be done in around 10-12 hours. I would just like to see crafting play more of a role here. Right now you can do a lot of mindless grinding and hardly any crafting at all to become a highly skilled crafter. This idea wouldn't change how any of those mechanics work, but it at adds progression to crafting.

If crafting specialization is just a skill that removes the rng, there will be players that will be able to make anything the day that release goes live. An idea like this would help level the playing field for the players that already have the producer xp on different accounts and those that are just getting into crafting because of the changes.

6. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

1250 nodes at best gives you say 4k ore that's a little over 1000 ingots, who is gm'ing anything on that? Or am I misunderstanding.
    I'm not quite GM mining yet but that would take me 40 hours to mine.

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That's enough to give you 200 crafting attempts for enchanting or masterworking. If you have someone mentor you and use an obsidian potion of guidance you can apply the xp from your producer pool very quickly.

Nevyn Waldail likes this.
  8. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Hmm I may give it a try then.

9. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

You don't become good in a crafting skill because your at 100. Need to get this way up to be able to make good item. yes I do have most of them gm but focusing on blacksmithing and keep those skillz getting up just reach around 115 to 110 of each mw.

Malimn likes this.
  10. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Most of my crafting skills are 120. I don't see that big of a difference from 100-120 to be honest. The difference in % for success is negligible and the bonus to the power of the applied enchants/mw's are hardly worth the amount of producer xp it takes to get them to that level.

I was hoping to hear from you guys about specifics on why you would like or dislike a system like this. Maybe some specific reasons why it just won't work, cause I'm probably missing something.

11. Phoenix007

Phoenix007 Avatar

120 grant third master/ench +10% (40% -> 50% with all stuff for bonus)

12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

It's 47% for 100 if I recall correctly. The extra 7+ mil producer xp gives you a hardly noticeable 3%.... not 10%

13. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

With specialization in a skill - such as blade masterwork for me - every X amount of time I'd be able to choose a particular masterwork (while still having the same failure rate) instead of getting choices.

X amount of time is decreased by Blade Masterwork Specialization skill. My thought is at 80 specialization, X would be 24 hours. Make choices on what you choose meaningful and certain crafters would be sought out and begged to use their daily masterwork to plop thrust on their sword.

Adam Crow and Alley Oop like this.
  14. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That sounds a lot better then what I was imagining for specialization. I'm picturing they just implement it so once the spec skill is leveled up you would just be able to pick what you want at will. If there is a timer like that, I probably wouldn't hate it. That would still leave the current rng issues in, and everyone would still have alts for everything, but still not as bad as what I've been fearing.

That's probably a lot easier to implement than what I was proposing as well.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  15. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

I am simply sick and tired about crafting 100 swords just to get 1 that i am happy with the outcome to use by myself and trash the other 99 for scraps again. No need to add more frills someone calls fun but what is just another kind of unnecessary grinding.
    I cant wait till i can choose exactly the enchantchants or masterworks i need and want. Period.

Malimn and Pifester like this.
  16. Phoenix007

Phoenix007 Avatar

Wrong: with properity, table bonus and ring you have 50%

17. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Hmmm... what could go wrong with me flooding the market with 2000 L148 blade masterwork thrust, d-slash, rend/weapon damage/weapon crit, max str, major dex swords of which nobody could ever hope to make anything better. No repairs would ever be needed, either - just scrap it and replace with another perfect identical sword.

Everyone else may as well just either scrap their interior swords or stop crafting swords altogether and make me a sword monolopy as while everyone specialized could all craft the same "perfect" swords but mine would be highest in stats so would be tough for anyone to compete.

On second thought, RNG needs to remain as this would get pretty boring pretty fast, even to me.

Phoenix007, Barugon and Adam Crow like this.
  18. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Correct, 50% @ 120.

Phoenix007 likes this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Yes, with all those things and a skill at 120 you have 50%, and all those things and a skill at 100 you have 47%... right? You said it was 10% better from 100 to 120, I'm saying its only 3% which isn't much at all.

And what does this have to do with the OP. I prefer @SteelCore response for his feedback. I didn't post this to argue about %'s I just wanted to throw it out there and hear people's thoughts on the idea.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.