Keep/castle size homes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jan 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Will we ever get keep and castle size homes or are we forever limited to city lot size?

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I think the door is creaking open for this. If many people upgrade lots to keep and castle size, it creates a potential market for larger homes.

3. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Well, the new packages have a new home promised for the players buying the $7k packages. I think we will see them figure out a way to fund that activity. Maybe like the mount system funding; they could set up more projects and we can contribute to that effort directly.

I personally want us to get organized as a community and contribute assets to portalarium, as well. I think that's another door open to us, if we can create good assets that are "immersive".

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

It would but there are those who want to slam that upgrade path shut . I say let them upgrade.

Elwyn, Sean Silverfoot and Godra like this.
  5. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Myself I have owned a few keep deeds, and I would love to have a larger house. I already live in the largest city home and have also owned every one of them and played with each. Would be nice to have even larger foot prints for major halls or keeps. They did talk about modular keeps / castles coming in the the future based on the castle siege stuff that is coming. So who knows really what we will see.

Mind you I also like the idea of supporting the player base and trading what I have up or buying houses from other players when I can. That is all part of how the market is to work, but that is also what created alot of the issues today with those that can't afford to upgrade...

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

:O

Actually....

Rather than going down this path and creating super-large single-piece homes for players to plop down, the devs would be better off IMO creating modular housing components similar to what they're doing with dungeons. That way, for instance, you could create something like a cloister abbey or Roman villa-style estate, by gluing together pieces like arcades, towers, hallways, courtyards, pools, "great hall" rooms, etc.

[​IMG]

This could then be potentially downscaled in limited ways to city lots.

Castle and town walls could also be housing components with hallways running through them, rather than just decorations.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Vrunk Hrrk, Jason_M, Jaesun and 4 others like this.
  7. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

When I asked this a while back, the answer was a definitive "no" due to the expected performance hit from sheer amount of decorations a house of that size could have. However, now, it does look like this might be a real possibility, if the EP2 Lord of the Isle bundles are any indication.

8. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I love this idea and think it's doable, if port designs the pieces and their large chunks, say the size of a row home being the minimum size of "block". It would really add to the diversity of designs in the game.

Jaesun, Gloop and Sentinel2 like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, for instance, say you can have a tower 'piece' that fits into a row lot. You could put that on a row lot as a singleton, or put it on a bigger lot, then connect the tower to other pieces.

Jaesun, Gloop and Titania Xylia like this.
  10. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

You could even make use of some pieces that already exist like the clock towers.

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The performance hit problem is real, but at least a modular house system would be better than making it from hundreds of blocks. After all, they seemed to think it was okay for keep walls. You still would have to live with the pop-in problem where you walk up to an empty lot and a house suddenly builds itself.

Maybe if there was some way to specify procedurally-defined house layouts (and keep walls!) such that they appear in-world as a single object, prefabbed on the fly.

12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

That answer doesn't make sense, given that the number of interior decorations allowed on a lot is fixed by the developers and is not tied to the size of the house (but instead, the size of the lot). It's already possible to max out the number of interior decorations on a keep lot with city sized houses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.