Bowen's Economy Analysis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

But they can't, so I'd agree

If you want specific gear prices are high because of RNG.
    They may also be high because of skews in player wealth distorting the market.
    It isn't due to inflation in the normal economic sense.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

That'd be an axiom for real life, in games folks tend to do what is the most fun, given the SotA approach, that might help explain the low player count, but if you offer a cool quest with cool fights and a neat reward, I'd probably do that instead of buy the reward off a player vendor even if it was 5g.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I chose my wording for a reason. What people consider fun doesn't require as much 'effort' for them to do. I don't mind mining and so mining isn't as much 'effort' for me as it is for someone who hates mining. You could argue there's emotion effort at play every bit as much as physical effort. We just don't tend to think of anything we consider 'fun' as requiring much effort. We're too busy having fun to bother thinking of it in that way. It's just as true in real life as in a game.

4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Ah, I see, you mean "pain" not "effort", that tends to be the gamedev term at least.

5. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

One thing i think helped ultima online was armor having different resistant types and weapons having different damage types it made each piece just a little more unique and if you were trying to stack on any one particular defense or damage you would be interested in buying new gear even if it was not exactly as good as yours.... I think if the crafting system gets more enchants and masterworks it will lead to a much larger pool of interesting gear and if you add another element to the unique materials. I think a huge problem is with the limited options for masterworks and enchants the best gear is easy to spot there are 18 options and everyone favors 4 or 5 of those options. They have talked about many things they would like to do with the enchanting and masterworking but there focus is always on something new that can bring in money i think the crafting system just needs some much needed love its been pretty much the same since persistence yes they added scaling and some type specific effects but very few and these changes are very lack luster in what they were striving for and what is needed for a good economy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.