Upgrading Tax Free Lots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Calan Caitin, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

A man cannot explain his beaching a promise other than to say he will fix his moral misstep. Else he never intended to fulfill his promise. Which makes his a man like, well, Ponzi. I have faith and know my faith will be rewarded. Follow the money Port. How did we get here? Promises.

StarLord likes this.
  2. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Ask in today's livestream. There are opportunities to find out what they have learned.

I've already given my .02 on the subject. Expiring availability of a non exclusive product then bringing it back at a later date has been done for years by companies. Disney with their Disney Video Vault is one example. And bring back those McRibs :)

3. golruul

golruul Avatar

Someone mentioned an idea of creating two new sizes: between Keep and Castle, and a separate one bigger than Castle. This way they can keep the promise (if it was made) of not selling more keeps and castles and still make money selling larger size lot upgrades.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  4. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I believe it was called a "Stronghold" or something like that. It would be a fair compromise I think.

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

As long as the new types were the same size as current but new name. I have no problem with that and I have no problem with the current names either

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Sentinel2 likes this.
  6. Aelender

Aelender Avatar

The darkstarr post was very clear on how they arrived at their decision on 'exclusiveness' and explicit/intended value attached to that. He goes into great detail including getting feedback from the community.

Chris mentions that lack of clarity on promises is a source of frustration.

Seems like these two just need to get together and chat.

7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I would be very interested in reading where they said it was exclusive. I've read statements that various sizes were not available in the store at that time. There were exclusive homes mentioned. I haven't seen any conversations about exclusive Keep or Castle deeds.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  8. Aelender

Aelender Avatar

The darkstarr post has been linked multiple times in this thread

"Making these lots exclusive both increases the value of the pledge, while at the same time minimizing the extra terrain needed and also keeping the number of smaller lots relatively untouched. We meant to be very clear about this exclusivity, but it soon became evident that in the original post, we were not clear enough. The Dukes also lobbied us to make changes to their lot size, and after much deliberation, we agreed. When we created that new lot, we also intended it to be exclusive, but neglected to mention that. After some members reached out to us for clarity, we realized our that further clarification was needed on the pledge text."

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You'll not that post says that they intended to make them exclusive but it still fails to say that they are exclusive.

Anyway, from my perspective, if players coming into the game see that there's absolutely no way to attain the biggest and best then it's likely they will move on. Just think about it for a minute. Do you want a certain few to lord their eliteness over you with absolutely no path for you to achieve at least similar (whether you actually do so or not)?

Jason_M and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  10. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

I do think about it. An almost zero number of f2p are going to be drawn in for the option to spend several thousand dollars to upgrade to the large lots. This was a move to pull money from the existing players. Go post somewhere beyond here that anyone can now spend $3000+ to get a castle lot and watch the laughter in response. This is to extract more from those of us left, which okay I guess, but to think this is a play for a bigger audience is naive.

Humbert_Humbert and Sir Frank like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It doesn't matter. It's the idea that you could if you choose to. There's a much different psychological barrier if you're absolutely barred from it.

Elwyn likes this.
  12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Actually the only link I've seen referred to update 172. Which did not suggest the deeds were exclusive.

Regarding your copy / paste. Did you forget to include the link? I've reviewed the thread several times. No link to your copy/paste had been included.

Love to read your source.

Thanks!

Elwyn likes this.
  13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Sentinel2 likes this.
  14. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Ahh ok thanks!

I appreciate it. Been googling for some time to find that.

As I see it, yes, Darkstarr indeed said that, however the official web page never reflected that intention. So I'm curious how this will all turn out.

Do we go with the official web site information? Or Darkstarr's comment in the forum?

Will be interesting :D

Mishikal likes this.
  15. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

I go with what is the pledges, the expiration adverts, and his posts. Lots of exclusive and expiring words thrown in, and not once, not once is it ever mentioned that they might bring these back one day. So think about your arguments a little differently - if they ever thought of bringing these back do you not think they would hedge once with “maybe someday these will be back” rather than use exclusive and expiring as the words all over the place?

Anyways, it doesn’t matter now - they are out there and Port isn’t going to say anything more about it- it’s their way now.

16. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Honestly, renaming them so an upgraded row lot is a Row lot +1 or a Row lot with 1 expansion, and adding "Fits a village lot" or whatever in the description would probably satisfy folks that want to upgrade and at least pay lip service to the original promises.

You could even allow POT owners to limit lots to only "true" keep and castle deeds (or even to only founder deeds etc), it wouldn't kill this game to allow folks to play the "bad guys" aside from ganking newbies that stumble into PVP zones until they quit.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

I posted the Darkstarr quote above several pages ago. I thought it was abundantly clear that Darkstarr had to make a post just to discuss exclusivity to try and clear up any confusion...but words...open to so much interpretation.

So with that, here's yet another quote from Update #64...which I'm sure will be debated to mean something else entirely.

So yeah...if you can upgrade to it without being a LotM...then that means...I digress...

Enjoy. :rolleyes:

Cordelayne, Sir Frank and Mishikal like this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

"is only available" is not the same as "will only ever be available".

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

The people complaining about broken promises - especially ones that hold the game back from improving - will still be complaining about it long after the games dead and the servers are shut down.

What good are kickstarter promises then ?

Never use Kickstarter to fund your project is my take from all the years of complaints about it. You will have to suffer negativity for years afterwards by players that think putting 100 bucks in back in 2013 entitles them to be partial owners.

Upgrading lots is freaking awesome and allows those of us who want to continue funding to improve our.... forgive me... lot ! How can people get bitter about this ?

20. Floors

Floors Avatar

deeds are upgradable from free row lots to village lots after beating some basic and easy quests. Game got a lot better in the last release in terms of lots. I now have 2 lots I got from playing the game last year, that is awesome, I still have ALL my kickstarter rewards. No issue !! KS players that didn't put effort in are mad because people that did got new lots or people have have bigger stuff than them if they support the game ? Why ?

Of course, they did manage to break a few items here and there as part of this, which is pretty typical for them over the last year. but I know they'll eventually fix stuff.

If you don't want to support them, that's your call. But the game has been improved. Should it be a lot better ? Sure. Should we still be beholden to kickstarter folks whims 5 years later ? No. Should giving them money to keep it going give better options like ability to upgrade lots and cheaper store items and more and better things like player dungeons that were not even part of kickstarter "Promises" ? HELL YEAH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.