Why is taming not competitive vrs other specializations.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

I remember taming as awesome in uo, here as a taming spec sun mage I rarely even bother summoning pet. I realize pets were perma death in ou and you had to be careful with them but here they are permanent but they are so weak so slow and a total nussance to actually use.

What is the plan for taming such an amazing everything sink for nada atm. They don’t even hold any Agro.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Hmm... I was under the impression that the Obsidian Destroyer is pretty awesome (and it cannot be resurrected).

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

4. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

They must have improved them then recently, when I used them they were marginal (30 pt hits where my non spec polearms hit for 200+) and they did not perma die on death.

Barugon likes this.
  5. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

If you want to see awesome - check out the summoned Lich pet by a Death specialized mage!

amarious, Barugon and Bioxide like this.
  6. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

What is a Lich to gm 10 million what’s required to tame and develop a destroyer 150 million? Also death has several other spells besides just summon pet. This is the stuff I’m talking about and isn’t the water pet still the best pet in the game?

Duke Gréagóir and Weins201 like this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

LoL keep going this has been one of the issues from the start of taming, and they just boosted the summons. You are hitting the nail on the head, to bad the nail is in sand.

It is a complete joke the cost / time / effort for a pet compared to a summons.

8. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

I rememember years ago star long said taming would be powerful and very hard to raise, was there a change in the plan on this?

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

80% on mankind don't recognize sarcasm. Don't be evil!

10. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

I’m pretty sure I read in r62 Lich dps doubled.

It was already with in ten dps of the destroyer prior to r62 and already out dpsed the wyverns before the buff.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The issue here is if you doubble 0....well it is still 0.
    See i don't want to devalue your complaint, don't get me wrong. I just wanted to point out that ALL summon suc....eehhhhhh....badly need some love.
    I hate taming but even i agree taming needs it first and possibly most of all.

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Is Obsidian Destroyer's not being able to be rezzed new?

13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

If this is true. Then I will be very disappointed.

14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The fundamental problem really with pets all round is that they can't hold aggro, making a traditional "pet class" type scenario - tank pet holds aggro while you shoot the thing - an impossibility. Adding 'aggro management' to big pets such as bears that engage the mob while the player heals it / supplements damage would be a complete gamechanger and they wouldn't necessarily need a damage bump provided they could generate and maintain hate. Then pets like wolves etc. "dps pets" could be used in party scenarios where the pet is to be a damage supplement. This methodology is used by nearly every taming system in every game I can think of to some extent, I know Sota wants to be 'unique' but sometimes established things are established because they are sensible and because they work.

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Too many people want to the able to stand there while something / someone else just stand there and "tanks" a target while everyone else deal damage, sorry not really an issue.

How about that taming as a skill tree as a whole uses over 200 Mil exp and the pet you have is weaker than a Water Ele, which take 10 million. Or let look at one skill in particular Concentration, with higher pets you lose over 60% of the focus you have even thow you too the time to train this skill up, summoning? need a skill to call out a pet but really has no reason . . . .

An entire skill tree = to less than one skill, summons, that appears in almost every magic tree and is actually less affective in the end.

The problem IS an entire skill tree is wasted, wanted and used, but still shunned and forgotten.

that is the fundamental problem with taming.

Also how about this you take you pet out and start a fight against two targets.

it is tough but you can do it if you and your pet work together, however you cannot get you pet to stay on task and attack the same target.

it is easy to handle if the target decides you are the more viable target, NP back off run around evade, defend, work it so you can get pet between you and desired target again. play the game

NP but of your pet just goes off and attacks another target mid fight you are screwed, and this has happened since they started. Pets staying on target, that is fundamental.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Just to throw a little water on the fire, I am pretty sure Chris said that yes taming needs another pass but summons specifically got it this month.

And due to the frothing at the mouth that so many were doing before, changes have to be small now, now more "wild swings". Not that anything ever seemed that wild to me, but fuel for the reddit trolls is still fuel.

So thanks to people complaining about Chris's balancing methods last year (a bunch of them not even playing, I might add, just trolling from the sidelines), stand by for the taming balance passes to have to take place over several months.

Edit: Not saying anyone is frothing here. Most of the frothing takes place at other locations by people who don't play.

17. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

Chris did mention that taming will be getting some form of combat pass in an upcoming release, so maybe that'll help alleviate some of the problems.

I mean, there's no reason why taming shouldn't after summons have gotten their first combat pass.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Brass Knuckles likes this.
  18. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Do all pets, summoned and tamed, have the same faction as avatars? Just curious, because even an underwhelming pet is a lot better with a neutral faction, or at least not kill-on-sight to everything.

19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

A couple things about pets and summons is once its cast and out, its just added to everything else that you are doing. Another thing to watch out for is people going afk with pets and summons killing for them, which is what caused the first big pet nerf after persistence. You could get a group of people all with ferocious red spiders and go afk while the spiders killed the sanctus spine control point. At this time sanctus spine control point was by far the easiest of them all, it did not give good exp, but it was decent, but if you just had people afk there for days on end with just pets doing the killing. They do not want unattended playing in the game.

I know some of you will want to say but the exp if put into other things will get you more benefit, and I do not disagree. I do not like pets myself, they pull mobs away, or pulls mobs I didnt want pulled, I am not a fan of that. But I do understand MANY players out there like pets and to be tamers. Snuggs and I discussed ideas of a taming artifact, 2hd so you could not wear weapons, but would give big enough buffs to the pet to be worth losing your weapons for, the pet now becomes the weapon. Even with magig, not having any weapons equipped really takes the dps down. I THINK they did kinda solve the afk with a pet thing. I THINK the pet stops if your toon sits down and goes afk.

20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

you yourself sell an exp and promote AFK, pets and AFK are not on topic at all,

just how imbalanced the taming skills are compared to exp spent in them vs a simple summons.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.