so guys - why do you RP female avatars-toons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InsaneMembrane, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I could go google it but I'm lazy. It has popped up in here a few months back and is again the topic of some talk. I will try to get the answer directly from you here. The question is why do you play as a woman?

You get a ton of attention and free stuff?
    Don't get out enough to check out real ones?
    Completing your fantasy of having full control over a woman?

Well all joking aside... :) Why? I have been playing games for many years, all types of them and I have never felt the need to play any of them as a woman.

2. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I keep trying to get my husband to play a female but he refuses to participate in my "sick cross dressing fantasies" involving him. I guess I had better behave or he's not going to let me play with you guys anymore.

Maka, Lord Baldrith and monxter like this.
  3. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I have never rolled a female character.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

i posted why my husband does it in the other thread... he feels if he has to stare at an ass all day its gonna be one he wants to stare at. I completely can understand that.. mind you i tell him if he is gonna have an *** that big at least give me a back up sticker ~giggles~ yea i tease him.. but he does the same :) ... although maybe he does it to fulfil some fantasy.. after all his avatars always have a parking lot of junk in their trunk.. where his RL wife ((ME!)) is one of them skinny skeletal need a banconator or 20 chicklets :D

I usually role a male :p ((cause he roles a female))

Time Lord, RelExpo, Maka and 2 others like this.
  5. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

It depends, if I am playing a solo RPG experience (or action rpg, etc) I usually play a female character and here is my reasoning:

If I am playing a game for 40+ hours watching my a person run around in front of me, why would I want to watch the rear of a guy the whole time? :)

Single player, female. Multiplayer, male.

Umbrae, NRaas and Amberraine like this.
  6. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Like I commented in a couple of the other threads, typically the female toons are more aesthetically pleasing than the male ones tho there are a couple of exceptions. And as people have said, if you're going to stare at something for hours make it something you enjoy looking at. XD

That said... when I enter a game that involves playing an actual character with other people, things can change. If my SO and I are playing a game, I'd play a male to pair up with her female, or if I can make a toon in a game that involves CS, storyline etc that I can make an idealized version of myself (ala my SS in the ugly male toon thread) then I'd go male. (Well, unless it involves PSO or Mithra)

In the offline world, faced with the supreme awesomeness of Jennifer Hale as FemmeShep? Yeah. Go with her every time. ^~ I guess I like strong female characters, I find them appealing, and more rounded (personality-wise!) then guys who tend to be a lot more one dimensional. (Tho Mark Meer does send himself up hilariously)

7. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

It's usually because that's what I'd rather look at. Especially in 3rd person games like mass effect, where you are constantly staring at your character's ass.

In Ultima it is for a different reason. The first Ultima game I played was U7 and I watched my buddy play for a while and thought his character was a female, until his portrait popped up. The feminine, long blond hair on that avatar was just not manly enough for me, so I played a female and for years all of my Avatars were female.

Now that much better character creation is a available, I play more males... especially in 1st person games or isometric, where I don't have to stare at their ass all day.

Also, since I don't play mmo's gender confusion isn't really an issue. :p

8. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I've only done it once and I gotta say; what a pain in the butt! Guys are literally pigs and I'm one of them!

Never again I say! I don't know how the girls put up with it, but good on you ladies!

9. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Ah, this thread. Every MMO seems to have it at some point. :)

For single player games, my characters are generally male (to be fair, Ultima games were always YOU as the protagonist, so of course, it was MY Avatar :), but there are also times where the character aesthetics are more important to me than not. Some games are female-only main roles (Metroid, anyone?), so you play what's available.

In MMO and roleplaying games, however, it really depends what the storyline involves. I've played a collection of both in various RPGs and tabletops, but each with their own personal story behind them.

10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I have gender swapped several times. Sometimes when you are staring at your characters butt for hours on end you want a change in "scenery". :)

11. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--Well, after the Tomb Raider series, I have decided that if I'm going to stare at a toon butt for hours, I prefer staring at a female toon butt. Usually I make one female character (typically the most evil in my collection of avatars) as it just seems easier to have my rogue be evil, and female. With the one character limitation in SOTA, Frida probably will not be appearing, alas.
    --I do miss Frida the night elf rogue (and her dancing). Sometimes I watch the music video on youtube "Soulbard" in which she stars (Krisskar films). Really really pretty song by Jaimie Verlander playing in the background.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I don't mmo, as I said before, but I do tabletop rpgs every weekend. I never cross-gender at the table and I discourage it in my players. Too confusing. IF I played anything online I wouldn't cross-gender either. It's strictly a one-player crpg activity for the reasons mentioned above.

13. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I GUESS IT'S BECAUSE I'M SO CONFUSED!

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Need? Its called role-playing. I've written stories, and just like I've written female characters, I've also role-played female characters. I draw art, and just like I've drawn female characters, I've also role-played female characters. In pen and paper as well as in a computer game. For some of us, this just isn't a big deal and isn't an issue. People who make a big deal about it to me sound strange, it makes it sound as if they've never written a story with a woman character before, or have never really gotten into the spirit of role-playing.

As I mentioned in the other thread, for computer games, it often does come down to which character model I like better, but only because of creative preference. Sometimes the female model is pretty, but I choose the male model because I'm happier with the male model. If you give me an option of more than one character (like in UO), I likely have more of a mix.

Sir Edreamer _MGT470 likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Back when UO was young. Females can wear male and female armor. Males can only wear male armor. If you play a female you never tossed/sold the good armor.

This is still true but with armor enhancement with imbuing it does not matter anymore.

Mordecai likes this.
  16. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Why does it matter what gender character/avatar someone plays in a game, regardless whether it is online or offline.... as long as they arent hurting anyone, it is nobody's business but their own... I don't care where you are on the gender spectrum in real life (cis-gender, transgender, etc)... for some it gives them an outlet to better express themselves. For others it is just fun. Some just like the better aesthetics. There are so many possible motivations as to why someone chooses the gender they do in a video game. Sometimes it is due to deep motivations, sometimes it isnt.

fumblefingers, Akeashar and Khloec like this.
  17. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Because I can

Kambrius likes this.
  18. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

It actually bugs me more, personally, when a person will only play one gender (whether it matches their own or not) than someone who will switch back and forth.

19. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It just depends on how they're drawn. Playing Korean MMOs (Lineage, Aion, Tera, etc.), the females are simply vastly better drawn. Anything with some anime to the style, you end up with waify looking males. Most RPGs really aren't first person. So you either see yourself as traveling around with a woman, or a little boy. Normally it's only the younger people who player the males.

To the extent that this game is more first person, a greater emphasis on role playing, only one character, very non anime styling, etc. it's unlikely that I'd play a female character.

20. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I challenge you! male with female avatars, to explain why do you think you understand women enough to roleplay one?

I can`t. And that fact make amaze me every time i discover something new about them.

Grak, Mordecai and Gracekain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.