1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

POT upgrades for in game Crowns!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=41907

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  2. Godra

Godra Avatar

Well, I guess I am staying at a Crossroads then. I got my last POT upgrade during a sale and my current value is $2,000. So an upgrade to Town would cost me $1,600 (1,600 COTOs). To rich for my blood.

3. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

I feel your pain my friend, hang in there keep the dream alive, I have struggled for 3 plus years to get a viable town up and running. Hopefully you were able to get one of those: Episode 2 Player Owned Town Overland Upgrade Reservation Service Tokens before they sold out. Maybe they will take a second pass at the number of them that they allowed to be purchased and will release a few more service tokens.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    liz_the_wiz likes this.
  4. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

PS... I do love this game and am still hoping for even better days ahead. Just felt like adding that in here. I'm not the best at expressing things sometimes. PeaCe

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Cianna likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I thought it was better than that since they are on sale now. I'm honestly not sure though as I haven't looked into the prices. Sounds like maybe I should!

Also, those here, another thing I'm looking to do is reduce the cost to place City and above lots in towns. Right now they are purely based on square footage. This means a POT owner has to choose between having 32 people join them in Row lots OR 1 person join them in a castle lot. As I've been saying a lot recently, the price is too damn high! Expect to see a reduction in the cost to place a City, keep, or Castle lot in the near future.

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Not sure if this is affecting you, but I bought my town early Holdfast at $750 after they raised the price to $900, I had to also make up the difference from 750 to 900, then the cost, $550, of going to the hamlet. One did NOT keep the discounted price as they upgraded the town for the first time. After that, it was the normal difference. Right now the cost of a crossroad village is $2400.

StarLord likes this.
  7. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

Chris - This solves half the problem (thank you!).

The other half is that at municipality, you rapidly start running out of flat ground in many templates to get a significant practical gain in usable land. Yeah, I know, first world problems :). Would you guy ever consider going to some of the templates and flattening out minor lumps that are currently unusable by anybody? I'm not suggestion that we wholesale flatten some of the beautiful scenery, but there are odd ridges and lumps and several parts of the landscapes that nobody can place deco on right now, so flattening them should cause any issues to current governors using these.

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I bet that would be more likely to happen if someone were to go through their town and make a list using /loc while standing on each lump.

9. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all. Here is a post I did in another thread. It should help.

10. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @Chris. On the topic of flattening areas... Can we just add flattening to the Tree and Grass removers or at least make it act like a platform so we can place other things on it?

CatherineRose likes this.
  11. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Maybe it is a good idea to move to citizens or claimable lot count instead of square meters.
    Currently all sizes of town are evenly dividable through 600 m² (a village lot) as the largest lot to do so. Using a row (150 m²) is four times the claimable lot count.

claimable lot count: as many lots can be claimed regardless of size
    citizens: as many different accounts can claim in this town regardless of lot count and lot sizes
    Code:
    name            villages        rows    ->citizens  or  ->lots
    holdfast         21              84       11              28
    hamlet           33             132       16              44
    village          42             168       21              56
    cr. village      56             224       28              75
    town             84             336       42             112
    city            112             448       56             149
    metropolis      139             556       69             185
    municipality    171             684       85             228
    ---             203             812      101             271

On the other side. Towns reach their limit now, may a good time to revitalize empty towns. So that more towns becomes filled.
    Also i think it would be good, when someone wants to enter a town the one get the same window like the one when enter a NPC town. The window shows all available spawnpoints and the selected spawnpoint of nested towns. So, nested towns can help to give players a home.

CatherineRose and Datendrache like this.
  12. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

If @Chris confirms that it's technically feasible and practical to implement, I will gladly volunteer to go lump-hunting!

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That's the way it's always been.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  14. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

This goes back to accounting done by @dallas back in the day. And the math behind it and the upgrades in the add-on store are a bit funky as a result.

If you spent $750 on your POT, you must make the value of the POT add up to $900 and then purchase the upgrade to Hamlet. I.e., $550 + $150 = $600. This is done (presumably) because of his preferred accounting practices. This information was originally clarified by @Brass Knuckles when he attempted to upgrade Bladewyke.

Its a bit different when you calculate the 20% off specials. The 20% off is calculated against the entire POT total. So, if you try and upgrade a $750 Holdfast to a Hamlet, it would be $410. ( $440 - $30! = $410)

If your Holdfast was bought at $900, then the upgrade to a Hamlet becomes a bargain comparatively at $260. The upgrade to a Village straight from a Holdfast has a total of $540.

I have not checked about the cost to upgrade a POT when the sales aren't on, but from this logic I'd assume the POT owner would have to true-up the value of the POT to non-sale prices before buying the upgrade -- I can't tell because the sales are perpetual right now.

Why this is important for this discussion is two reasons:

1) It means that upgrading a POT is different under the condition of age of the POT and if the 20% discount applies.
    2) There's 50 new POTs going into the game that probably want to capitalize on the "cheap upgrade" of the 20% discounts because of the fact they started at $900, they'll act like a $180 discount on their first upgrade.

Opinion: This is probably just too dang complicated to track individual equity on POTs. However, I'd still like to encourage Portalarium to keep Hamlet -> Village -> Crossroads Village value which was leveraged brilliantly with the 20% discount.

Sincerely,

Engineer

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup I got my pot when they where cheaper when I went to upgrade I had to pay the sale difference then the upgrade cost.

16. Godra

Godra Avatar

@Chris The issue I see is that there were different sales prices at different purchase times for every POT owner. It is very hard to figure out what the cost would be without some kind of scale or list. Plus with repricing things, that adds possibly another layer of confusion. Now, I know the best way to handle this is how you did the Bundles Upgrade with COTOs a few months back. But that would mean emails to Customer Service to get a price quote, then need to send another email to say take my COTOs and upgrade it. I know you are all at max staff limits at this time, so do you think there is a best way to figure out a system or scale to allow everyone an easy way to get an exact cost for their POT upgrade?

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

So if you buy something on sale you should always get a sale upgrade price? If so I bought my first coto from the add on store for 90% off. Please refund the difference of my recent many coto purchases that were not at 90% off. Thx

18. nimueCW

nimueCW Bug Hunter

If you go to your account page, there is a "towns" tab. I just clicked the upgrade button and it told me how much it would cost. I was one of those who got the early price also, so it saved me from math I didnt want to do

19. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

@Chris : We need to be careful on the POT Sale pricing.
    A lot of the PoT owners upgrade their town on PoT Sale days because 20% discount is pretty big when the price tags are in several grands.
    1. If you allow PoT Upgrade at PoT Sale price using Sale Price COTOs, the saving is applied in double (once to purchase COTOs, and once to upgrade PoT).
    2. In many tiers, upgrading PoT at full price means that it can be upgraded for minimal fee on next PoT Sale (I am on Player Owned City $3799. At full price it will cost me 2200 COTOs to upgrade to Player Owned Metropolis. After that I can upgrade to Played Owned Municipality at sale price for $80)
    3. It can get troublesome if we sent in-game mail on weekends (during sale time) and you respond on week day (non-sale time). Do we always get the sale pricing, or is the price determined based on our mail sent date, or your mail processed date ?

Datendrache likes this.
  20. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

Personally I could use a longer (x3 or x4) castle straight wall sections. Placing castle walls manually around the PoT consumes way too much decorations.

Duke Olahorand likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.