BEST SKILL TRAINING!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flytripper, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flytripper

flytripper Avatar

OK,,,,, If I'm not out of pooled XP, does It actually help if I stop training on other skills? EXAMPLE wiki says if you want to level "range" stop advancement on all other initiate skills.....ect.....

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, if you want to concentrate on advancing a single skill then it's best to lock all other skills.

Jaesun and FrostII like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

4. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

There are two approaches to skill growth (better way to understand than "gain") and most people use a hybrid of both:

Adventurer: Leave one or a few skills unlocked to improve. Lock and unlock skills to match your exp growth so that you don't shrink your pool.

Power Gamer: Leave lots of skills unlocked and choose activities that reward large amounts of experience to keep up with the unmanaged consumption.

It depends on how you want to play the game. Of course everyone wants quick satisfaction of skill gains, but the SotA skill system is organic, and you don't have to get on the experience treadmill if you don't want to.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This actually doesnt matter unless you're saving experience to train an expensive skill.

Sara Dreygon and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  6. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

That's true. @flytripper might find old posts where people talk a lot about a "minimum pool," and quite a few veterans still do.

Some folks say that the amount of skill points moved from the pool to the individual skill each time you use it is a proportion of your total experience pool size. In other words, skills will grow faster if your pool is larger. I can't confirm that from my own experience, but it seems to be gospel.

Other folks just find big experience pools to be satisfying in of themselves.

In either case, SotA will provide the gameplay experience that you want if you manage your skills accordingly.

Feeyo likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is true but you have to earn that experience first. If you pump it into skills as you earn it, that actually saves time.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Yeah, that's my preference. Other folks like to build a huge pool and macro on a dummy........

To each their own, and the amazing thing about this game is that just about every style is accomodated mechanically.

Barugon likes this.
  9. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

yes it is important to disable other skills to train a specific skill faster. Also the bigger your exp pool is the more % goes in to that specific skill you are training.

Also an important thing to notice is, some skills will only use exp when used. some other passive skills will always use exp. as an example if you get hit by mobs that passive skill will use exp.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I always work in steps of 20. Till level 40, everything stays on, once it 40 it gets turned off till everything I want is 40. It only costs about 1.275 mil to get one weapon and the rest of the skills to 40, this is a nice base to work from cuz you have opened up all the skills, and have 4 glyphs of each. Then I start to take skill to 60 and 80. Your main attack skills you want to get to 80 so you get the 5th glyph. Depending on what your killing and your exp rate, you can train like 4-6 at a time and keep a pool of 500k aprox. Dont take things past 80 till you have all the skills you want at 80. Then go to 100, usually only 1-3 skills training to maintain a decent pool. This will get your good bang for you buck on exp.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Dhanas, Boris Mondragon, Gia2 and 6 others like this.
  11. flytripper

flytripper Avatar

Thank you everyone, as a math major(RL machinist) im taking all your advice and testing with actual figures..

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Let us know when you find the bugs :)

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Some folks say that the amount of skill points moved from the pool to the individual skill each time you use it is a proportion of your total experience pool size. In other words, skills will grow faster if your pool is larger. I can't confirm that from my own experience, but it seems to be gospel

VERY Valid

This actually doesn't matter unless you're saving experience to train an expensive skill

It does matter

one of the worst statements ever (it is said over and over and is completely misleading) since if you go below certain amount of exp in your pool the of exp used is reduced to a less and less %exponentially so you have a hard time taking your pool down to zero. So at a certain point it is becomes so little (slow) you are basically not going moving forward.

Also understand that once a skill is above 80 it ALSO starts to take a % of your pool, so if you have 10000 and it takes 10% = 100 but if you have 5000000 it = 5000 (just #s to show an example)

NOW I will again say that it does NOT change the amount of exp needed to gain a level just the time needed to get there is 100x more or less

So in then end the size of your pool matters ALOT.

Listen to who you will but be FULLY informed.

Dhanas likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You are always moving forward as long as you're gaining experience. If your pool is consistently low then you're moving that experience into skills as fast as you're earning it. Leveling skills can only go as fast as you can earn experience.

15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

This is the best way to do it in my opinion. Very specific and great info here!

16. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    I try to keep a decent sized pool going and I also lock 98% of my other skills. I got skills from 0 to 80 pretty quick that way.

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Gotta have that pool.

18. Katu

Katu Avatar

Pooling dedinitely helps with skills, that have big cooldown. If you have no pool, you are pouring some 1000 xp at best to skill, then wait 30s to cast again. With high pool, it can use 20k+ and more with decent pool per use.
    So, while your statement is true, its not the best way. Its even more visible problem, when training innates.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think that's something of a matter of opinion & perception. The time it takes to earn the experience in the first place is always the same (relatively speaking to your level and ability). You can either train the skill during that time you're earning the experience.. or you spend additional time training up the skill after the time is spent earning the experience.

The real question for me is.. what skill is going to give me the most bang for my buck to make gaining more experience easier.

Barugon likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Did you miss the part where I said that you cannot raise skills faster than you can earn experience? I even highlighted that part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.