Path of Love forces PvP combat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daemond, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golruul

golruul Avatar

Always amusing to read all the replies that are in favor of new players getting killed and completely ruining their game experience while they're just trying to do a main questline.

It's bad quest design, plain and simple. The default behavior/hints should be the longer, safe route. After that there should be a mention that a much quicker, optional route exists but is really dangerous. Through this optional route the Oracle won't be able to protect the player from other Avatars.

The comments "well it doesn't matter because there's no one there anyway" are completely missing the root issue. The game's unpopularity is the only thing saving these new players from getting ganked. If the game was really popular, it's guaranteed there would be people camping the scene and killing the new players trying to do the quest.

And LOL at the comment of "just rename 'PVP' to 'unprotected' and don't warn the player."

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

This ^^^^^ . Very succinct and exactly correct.

3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Nail. Hit. Head.

4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Can I reset my AL then? :p Nahh come and kick my butt it can take a hit or two!

Dhanas likes this.
  5. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

What do you think guys if Ruins ( PVP zones where you have to go for the quest) were NO-RANSOM zones? Could that work?

I ll take it :D

Violette Dyonisys, Elwyn and Mac2 like this.
  6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Are you saying you cannot flag until a certain level or are you saying once you hit a certain level you are automatically flagged and cant turn it off? I know some crafter/miners that are already 120+.

7. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I'm saying that once you hit Adventure Level nn that you lose the ability to have the Oracle protect you and you are flagged PvP. Once again, this is a half-baked idea but it is an interesting thought. I believe ArchAge does something similar when you hit their level 55 or something.

Safe <= nn < PvP

Mac2 likes this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Forcing PvP on folks is wrong

Elwyn, Curt, Synergy Blaize and 5 others like this.
  9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ya, that will create a lot of flak. It breaks the promise of consensual pvp. If that was not the case, its a good idea. I wish age of conan had that. so many level 80's killing lowbies in the noob zones, it killed the game. My friend and I did what we could, but as soon as we would leave, they would just go back and start killing the noobs again. Something like that could have saved that game.

Elwyn likes this.
  10. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I agree with it would break the promise but then again I think the question still has to be asked. The game is not in a good place. There is fragmentation between sides on what should be there. The question that has to be asked is what needs to be or what could be done to put the game in a better position or state. No use in keeping to a promise if in the long run it kills the game.

Imagine this: We made this promise. This promise has hurt us this way. We realize we should have not made this promise. To correct it we are going to do X. We understand that people will be upset, some may even leave. We wish there was another way to do this but there isn't.

Promises should be kept but some promises have to be broken. It's not that they were lying. It's that they made a promise based on incomplete information. In fact, the mistake was ever making the promise in the first place. Saying we striving to keep the game with consensual PvP unless we discover that there is a real demand or need to alter that.

I'm not saying this is a great idea or that it will help the game in the end. I just floated it up so people could marinate on the idea.

And BTW Mac, thanks for the participation and insight!

Gravidy and Dhanas like this.
  11. golruul

golruul Avatar

This game will, guaranteed, be in a much worse position if PvP is forced on people when they reach X level -- just like how the game is worse off "forcing" newbies to go through PvP zones for the main questlines. For all the vocal newbies that complained about it so far, there's going to be a lot more that will just quit instead.

However, if "level X = PvP onwards" was implemented it would be hilarious to watch all the complaints and droves of people leaving the game, though. I'd be curious to see if the developers would be able to connect the dots that implementing this led to the fall of the game.

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Connecting the dots took Port way too long in terms of the old death xp loss and crappy xp gains that were finally rectified in the Quality of Life changes.
    It does seem to take too long for dots to be connected in SotA.... IMO

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

There are things in place that are detrimental to the future of SotA, but mandating PvP in any form would most certainly be a death knell .
    There would be no dots to connect in a very short time.
    Once again, MYO.

Mishikal likes this.
  14. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

As I stated... this was an off the cuff thought and not fully thought through. I think it has merits but not something Port could do, even if it made sense. They are hand cuffed by the community of players that they have created and the six years promises and decision they have made. In short... they've made their bed and they now have to sleep in it.

15. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    Oh, suck it up Buttercup! If you get killed by another player that just means you can start quoting the Black Knight from MP.

16. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Interesting in a "let's get rid of 80% of the huge playerbase" kind of way?

Call that a NO ;)

17. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

80% … so 160 people? ;)

Scanphor, sotasota4 and Mishikal like this.
  18. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

200 are just the users from steam, most of the users use normal client, so they are a bit more, but yeah, I agree with you.
    If they just could get rid all those promises that make this game just for a small niche and open it to masses should be a great move.

19. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

"The legend lives on" :D Can you please provide the source of these info/numbers?

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Another thread where I long for an "ignore thread" button.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.