UT R.I.P. player run dungeons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Feb 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I'd happily play through player dungeons as long as we don't see awful player written NPC dialogue.

Everyone spamming UT is unfortunate but I think it's a side effect of the age of the game.

But yeah, fix the quest experience first. ;)

2. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

UT is broken. It is so out of wack when compared to most any other area in the game, that it is the go-to place to get gobs of XP. It's so broken that Portalarium has to institute a time-based cap of XP. It's simply poor game design. Why? Because so many people go there to get gobs of XP.

The fix would be to adjust the other areas to give more XP, so they balance out. Instead of implementing Attenuation to cap XP, they could increase the spawn time of the mobs that start the event. I've only done UT a couple times, and even then I thought the amount of XP being fire hosed was insane after scraping XP in other areas.

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

Another fix, which I've seen elsewhere, and mentioned before, is that you essentially max out on zones. You'd get less and less XP on the creatures/monsters until you hit zero... forcing you to go to another zone. If you've been away long enough, or done enough other zones, the diminishing-returns would lift. That'd let Port actually increase XP around the world without worrying about any particular one of them turning into a farm-fest.

I mean, how much experience (in terms of the real-world concept of experience) can you get from fighting the same thing over and over? You should have to mix it up.

Edit: And this could apply the player dungeons too - one more place where you're mot maxxed-out.

4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I am not a fan of UT and have gone only a handful of times. Now if instead of the same place and wave of mobs that is so monotonous they could and can do something else.

How about a rotation of a similar type encounter in POTs that sign up? So you have your UT and one or two daily similar high XP that can also feature POTs.

R/Boris/El Pirata.

5. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Upper Tears is not the only place to get Fast xp, one/two man groups we attinuated killing Yellow Dragons, Ruined keep, The Rise (20 minutes). Upper tears just happens to be a lazy 8 man 40 minute attinuation.

Elwyn and Mac2 like this.
  6. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Forcing me to go somewhere else because i want to farm obsidian Fill In the blank, and they only spawn in 5 areas in the entire game, would punish me for farming these creatures? Not a good system if i am being honest. 1/2 xp until you stop gaining 1m+ in an hour period is a fine system....

Elwyn likes this.
  7. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Don't forget all xp was doubled from what it originally was, some things have been adjusted over the times but the base xp for all things is still X2 compared to what we used to get.

Mac2 likes this.
  8. oplek

oplek Avatar

XP Attenuation is not a good system. It punishes players for playing too much, wasting their time. The fact is, there is no perfect system here. It only comes down to which set of problems we want to have.

But I guess we can cut to the chase and rename the game to "Upper Tears: The Only Zone".

9. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I guess if you play from the perspective of kill kill kill your right there would be some kind of punishment. as there should be. When you go out for one hour and you destroy 500 guys and you choose not to come back to town and rest up, sell your wares, then you should be punished. because the unfortunate person that only casually plays and is just seeing 500k/hour does not feel punished. They are just taking the time and enjoying the game. If you where in another zone and you where killing in a party of 8 and just playing it is a lot harder to attinuate, but keep using the 20 minutes of Ut with 40 minute rest as the base line for the entire game, i forgot because the top 10% do it that is what everyone does...

Elwyn likes this.
  10. Katu

Katu Avatar

Top 10%.. theres constanly multiple groups at UT. Im there also and spend attenuation time to sell and buy stuff. If no groups for me, I go ulfheim.
    Claiming that just 10% or top players are there, is false.
    I go there and have fun. Its no different than running dungeons in wow or champ spawns in UO.

Elwyn likes this.
  11. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Let me break this down because it puts everything in a view that makes it simple to understand why this system is the way it is.

Adventure Level 100 Player : Upper Tears, Control Point(s), Other Content That Generates 1M+ 30 minutes Or Less. Avg Play Time 4 hours. : 2M xp/Hour 8m xp

Adventure Level 85ish and below : Gets to play average of 4 hours per day : Avg 750k/Hour 3M xp

Does not look so bad......

Solo/Duo group 100+ : W/e the flavor of the month area is Upper Tears, SOLO 10 hours game play average and gains 4M xp/Hour : 40m xp.

Using all these same stats

Adventure Level 100 Player : Upper Tears, Control Point(s), Other Content That Generates 1M+ 30 minutes Or Less. Avg Play Time 4 hours. : 1M xp/Hour 4m xp

Adventure Level 85ish and below : Gets to play average of 4 hours per day : Avg 750k/Hour 3M xp

Solo/Duo group 100+ : W/e the flavor of the month area is Upper Tears, SOLO 10 hours game play average and gains 4M xp/Hour : 10m

It just keeps it fairish as possible.

12. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I am one of the people there because i like the offset in time but i also like to just do it solo for the loot when i need money. But i also enjoy a lot of other content and attinuate the same in 20 minutes or less. But i dont stop because the game is just not about XP.

13. golruul

golruul Avatar

Just going to throw out the comment that not everyone can solo UT, so using that as a base XP comparison isn't really valid for the vast, vast majority of players here.

I'm not saying this use case shouldn't be talked about or considered, but it seems like this thread is devolving to min/max solo xp, which vast majority of people aren't going to be able to get anyone near.

Elwyn likes this.
  14. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Player made dungeons and grind zones are just two very different things. When it was announced that they were being added, the devs specifically said that they didn't want them to be as rewarding as equivalent adventure scenes.

The appeal of player dungeons is that players can have fun designing and building them, and there is nearly limitless potential for content for other players to explore. I don't expect player dungeons to ever be a hot grind spot, but even at this early stage, I have seen a decent amount of players in game that are having fun exploring other peoples' dungeons.

I also don't really understand how UT gets into every conversation. I hardly ever go there, but I'm glad that a lot of people enjoy it. Once you progress to a certain point, you're basically always going to be attenuated when fighting level appropriate content. Unless your goal is to play as little as possible while doing something else, there's quite a few choices available.

Elwyn likes this.
  15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That's why we have varying XP requirements for skill levels. A mob which gives you 100 xp at a low level when it takes 200 to level, will still give you 100xp at a high level when it takes 200,000 to level, so there's no point in making it give 10 or 0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.