Longbow vs crossbow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Feb 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

1. seems like if you are gonna spam multi-attack then the crossbow is better as it'll hit everything harder.
    2. if you are a free attacker also probably crossbow unless speed increases its charge time
    3. The speed boost from the strings is s single target boost(auto attack)
    4. Poison is gonna be boosted more with speed and not at all by + damage %
    Nobody commented about str vs dex thou...

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Speed bonus does affect charge time but the crossbow will still get more damage over time.
    Yes. However, only those poisons that do immediate damage and not those that are DOTs.
    They both get exactly the same damage and critical bonus from strength and dexterity.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Diab Blackbow and Mishikal like this.
  3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

So I'll ask here, this is a good thread for it. What's the best weapon buff for a ranged weapon?

I.e., ignite weapon vs the various poisons.

Thanks!

Also, I don't know how someone could stand to use autoattack with ranged. I'll take my 670 point crits with free attack, tyvm. ;)

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can use both.
    Because while you're plinking away with auto-attack, you can charge up a special like Rapid Fire or Aimed Shot.

5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Well that's awesome!

What order would you rank the potions in (best to worst)?

Hm, in the time it takes to charge those up to 6, I can get off several charged shots plus some rapid fire, aimed shot, etc that aren't charged. I tried what you're saying, and it didn't come off as worthwhile to me.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I assume you mean poisons? They have different purposes. I like the basic poison potion because I find a lot of them as loot. I also like corpion poison. Spider poison is good if you're fighting something that has a fast physical attack. Festering death is really good for mobs that heal or regenerate fast.

[edit] Corpion poison was super fun with Fiona's triple crossbow before they nerfed it.

Fair enough.

Mishikal likes this.
  7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Ok, thanks! Since I farm corpions for the claws, I have a million stingers I can make the corpion poison potions from. :) And plenty of the basic potion from drops as you note.

FrostII and Barugon like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Thx for that xadoor , made me laugh and I needed that. ;)

Barugon and Mishikal like this.
  9. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

gonna look at the parts again but you left crap out...the strings boost dex and either aim or rapid as well.

How much dex does it take to bump crit 1%? 10? if so thats half a percect crit.

We really should make some threads with ideas on how to build:
    1) for single target
    - auto attack
    - free attack
    - to max for poison use
    - to max for physical damage
    2) for multi target - UT is what I'm thinking, thou I generally dont go there
    - same crap

You've all convinced me that there is no best bow. There are lots of them dependin on what you are doing and what rotation you are using. I totally can't imagine free shot with non powered skills out DPS'ing a single target VS auto-attack and all 5/6 stacked aims/rapid fires but I know I wanna check it out now.

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Fully charged flurry @ level 100 (currently for me anyhow) is an important part of that equation, since it means I can rapidly charge up a free shot. ;)

Barugon likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Speed boosts don't apply to Aimed Shot or Rapid Fire. The damage bonus does though so you're looking at +25% total for a crossbow with hard maple and imbued string vs +20% for a longbow using the same materials.

I don't know how much dex will affect your critical chance but the longbow will get 5 more dex from imbued strings of speed than the crossbow will.

Mishikal likes this.
  12. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

I meant the strings have a straight +% damage to rapid fire assuming we are talking about speed strings. Does anyone one think the precisions are better? would like to hear that side if it exists as well.

Mishikal likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I lack the physical dexterity to WASD effectively. I use free attack in the instances where i"m pretty much standing still, but that's rare.

Mishikal likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The +25% and +20% numbers I gave are the total damage bonuses for Rapid Fire.
    They're not anywhere near as good.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I found that I'm more effective using auto-attack and charging up the specials. YMMV.

Mishikal likes this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That is typically what I do. Or, for some harder hitting bosses, I'll let autoattack do most of the work while casting heals. (And occasionally throwing out an aimed shot or rapid fire.)

Barugon likes this.
  17. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I never really liked using auto attacks because of the durability loss and I simply found it boring. I haven't played in a little while but crossbows have always hit harder and out DPSed long bows for me. Especially after the STR buff to crossbows.

Mishikal and Barugon like this.
  18. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I also found the extra range from crossbows very useful in some situations but a lot of times the mobs just leashed back.

19. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

This is what I was gonna look at next time I play....if things are really close but Xbows get a str bonus that could be the tipping point. If they get a str bonus that's gonna improve almost every attack(just not posion/fire) which could really add up.

Thanks for the great thread everyone.

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I thought bows already got a strength bonus. Crossbows didn't initially because they (sort of ) don't rely on user strength like a bow does, but then Chris decided that without it, crossbows were too inferior to bows, so he added one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.