Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Tridents will now only apply poison once

Discussion in 'Release 63 Feedback' started by Barugon, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I thought the whole point of pronged weapons was to get things like triple poison:
    So what's the point now? To have a shitier spear?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    kaeshiva and Mishikal like this.
  2. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

If things like puncture, push, pull, off-hand attack, etc. hit 3x it might be okay, but those don't even work. Auto/Free attack is the only thing that hits 3x. now we're just left with a broken item that fails delivery on its promise and has already been nerfed. Nice Deco though I guess. I was REALLY excited about this one too. So sad.

kaeshiva and Feeyo like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

[​IMG]

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

What a surprise.. Another system that is implemented badly. How hard can it be to implement a correct working algorithm.

5. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Hey guys, I can't realy understand why are you saying that, it is excatly like a normal spear but it has 10% push damage, 10%pull damage and 3 hits more with autoattack.

[​IMG]

Comparing a Meteoric Iron Trident with a Meteoric Iron Spear, the trident has damage 8-25 same as spear, critical 6% as spear, strenght bonus Average as spear, and much more parry than spear 8-25 instead of 5-16.
    Trident has same item effects as spear but he has 10% push and pull damage more than spear, bonus from head and handle are the same.

I would use as deco the spear and craft a trident, cause it is definitely better.

6. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Did some side by side comparisons against practice dummy. You are correct, the trident is better than the spear. Though the autoattack is considerably weaker against armored mobs because the 3 weaker strikes suffer greater from mitigation effects. The problem, however, is when reality falls short of expectation you end up with disappointment. If everyone had assumed pronged weapons were going to apply poison 3x, or that triple push/pull would actually work (w/e that means anyway), that would be one thing; but we were told specifically that's how they were gonna work. So we expected a, base-stats-wise, weaker weapon that hit 3x (not just with auto-attack, but abilities also, and that included poison being applied 3x as well) But that's not what we got. Why? For the poison side of things at least, because PVPers cried OP, and instead of making separate rule sets for how poison is applied to players vs monsters, we wound up with, not a weaker triple strike weapon, but instead a comparably powerful single strike weapon that only does triple auto/free attacks. I'm not sure why abilities don't result in 3 weaker hits also (except leg sweep and spinning attack - since those don't really stab) - but push, pull, impale, puncture.... Those are all stabbing maneuvers that would result in 3 separate puncture wounds with each attack. Yes, in the end it turns out it does trump the spear, but it's not what we expected and, as a result, we are disappointed. We have human brains, and that's what happens. It's not complicated. It's the most basic form of psychology. I'll probably end up using a trident but I still wish it performed as advertised.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Did you actually try it? Those three hits do 1/3 damage each. Just like FitzOwen's triple crossbow.

8. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Yes I tryed it, and I noticed it, total is the same dmg of 1 hit of other spear, by the way, is not a trash item, it has more pull and more push damage and same base damage of other spear.

I agree they should have make separate rule for PVP and PVE and allow poisons in PVE, but that triple punture you are talkign about is OP even in PVE. Spear is definitely a good weapon tree, and the new trident is not a weapon worsethan the actual spear, is the same but with more bonus to 2 skills. Also push and pull are CC applying 3 push or 3 pull in 1 hit is definitely good even in PVE.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  9. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

The triple hits do 1/3 dmg, so there's nothing OP there. I just means effects are applied 3x and damage resistance is more useful against it. Though with puncture being able to ignore armor that is one exception, but the 1/3 dmg would counteract that. As for the 3 push/pull, that mechanic isn't even working in triplet.

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

I have a death mage as a character and she uses a trident when facing skeletons and other undead. I’ll see how it is later. I’m not minmaxing with her anyway.

11. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

SO in other words they screwed up a potentially Great weapon...nuff said

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So to keep it in balance with other weapons, what should it do? Or should it just be the best weapon in the entire game?

Spungwa likes this.
  13. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

UP.

Trident is better than spear in all possible ways.

No idea whey they added a new better weapons instead of make better in some things and worse in others. We need variation, not better weapons to make old ones useless. Whats the point of spears now? this needs a balance pass asap.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How so?

15. Rada Torment

@Dhanas explained perfect in this thread.

It has same weapon damage and crit but with +10% damage bonus to two skills (push and pull) and more parry.

We need make weapons different, not some better than others! its one of the basics of crafted gear design for any game.

Dhanas likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The only question is: can you kill stuff faster with a spear or a trident?

17. Rada Torment

Did you tested both? I don't think so tbh.

Lets asnwer your question: same speed killing stuff, but if you use push/pull you kill faster. Oh and not only that, you have a better parry (better defense).

Now my question, which one you would use? ;)

Dhanas likes this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Probably still going to use a sylvan spear :) .

Lazlo likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I asked because dividing the damage by 3 has an impact on your overall effectiveness. Comparing the FitzOwen crossbow to say the Darkstarr crossbow, I can kill stuff faster with the Darkstarr crossbow.

[edit] The trident is also supposed to have a slower attack than the spear.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  20. Rada Torment

True, is what they said but we tested and both has same auto attack speed.

Jaesun and Barugon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.