NPC "attitude" and the future of quests

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Vladamir Begemot, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

This is my hope for @Sannio, who quite obviously (based on the last livestream) is working around a lot of limitations on not just the quest system, but the ability to communicate emotion.

One big problem that I see is that of the emote system's inability to deliver emotion in an acceptable way.

Take for example the "cry" emote. This is used by many NPC's, but is triggered AFTER a keyword is pressed, and stops when it runs out and the NPC is back to "Derp a derp, I have no emotions".

In order to properly cry, the NPC needs to either be sad during the entire dialog, or start crying when the player says something that causes it, and continue for the rest of the dialog, even after the player walks away. The emotional state of SAD needs a way to be visually represented without it being a one off emote.

Whether this is some emotional blendshape facial animations that are blended in for the course of the dialog, or some other method, I don't know.

But I do know that the future quests will still feel hollow if the quest creators have to continue to rely on a system that is the equivalent of "Ok cry now for 2 seconds, ok you're done." @DarkStarr, please budget some time to this problem, lets get emotional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.