Soft Wipe for Episode #2 ? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I know this is already getting some attention but if you do not lknow this is how Eps #2 is being considered.

They are consider a "Soft" wipe of skills and Equipment

What I gathere is all equipment crafted is Barred from continuation /use in Eps #2 Content.

Also it appears that in Eps #2 Content your char is basically starting from scratch, and you will get X2 exp until you reach the leverl of exp you now have.

This is where I am gathering my knowledge from;

Atos: My personal desire is to make every episode a soft wipe. Content in each new world resets your character and you retain "Residual knowledge" that is basically your old XPs that add to any xps you earn [9:53 AM]
    %$*&%%: @Atos if only the experience, not the gear. it is a good idea, in my opinion [1:12 PM]
    Atos: Yep! My pitch is that it works like any Ultima. You reform on each episode
    *&(%$&$#&^*&: Same here. If it is just xp i am ok with that [1:26 PM]
    Atos: Well, your XP would carry forward but you wouldn't just get it. Instead, it would increase the rate you earn XPs in the new world [1:26 PM]
    *$^%*&%:) Yeah that's great [1:27 PM]
    Atos: So if you had a million xps in episode one, when you move to episode two you have zero BUT for every point you earn in ep2, you get an extra point for the first million xps [1:27 PM]
    Atos: so basically doubles your xp gain rate. [1:27 PM]

$%*%*$*&%8: Does it works just for the new world or we lose xp even in actual world? [1:28 PM]
    Atos: Old world stays as it' is

I have seen replies form a few of the highest level players and they will walk.

Imagine what this means to someone like me who "Plays" the game and only has 15 GMs, all my time and effort is completely wasted>?

I see nologic in this sorry.

I am pretty sure in the end this will not happen, or hope this never does.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Bom, By Tor and Sorthious like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think we need additional clarity on how this will work before we panic.
    I'm not sure how you'd make it so you couldn't use gear/levels earned only in the new scenes? How would that work?

Bom, Jason_M, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

one great question, no idea.

I am not really panicked, I just read it for what it is and what I see in other posts that hit on it the reply was. "I'm done" from more than one person

Bom, Olddog and Cordelayne like this.
  4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

how can we find out how much XP our avatar has earned so far?

5. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

I see exactly why they want to do this. Imagine enticing new players if they think day 1 has 100+ GMs running around the new land laying waste? It's the perception of being unfair that gets most people, even on a game that is free to play. Someone having 100+ GM skills has zero impact on how I play the game; after 5 years I have only 2 GMs to date., But I can see how it would turn some folks off knowing whole groups on the new continent can take down the majority of the creatures.

My personal thoughts are this: the new continent should have a weird effect arising from some magical mcguffin buried deep in the ground that dampens your learned skills. They are 1/3 of their previous strength. As you gain in experience you gain immunity from the effect, allowing your skills to return.

That or offer a whole new set of skills to encourage people to shed old ones.

No solution is ideal.

Sole, Elwyn, licemeat and 2 others like this.
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Offering a new skill tree that only could be raised in the new lands would be interesting, but not sure how they'd work that around the existing xp pool mechanics, unless they added a third XP pool. I don't think you'd find as much opposition to something like that.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  7. Floors

Floors Avatar

New skills would be fun

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Do couches make the transition?

9. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

everquest had AA an alternate exp that you could spend on new dedicated skills. you chose what % goes into normal xp and aa xp.

Bom likes this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I see this all the time, sure it hold a little water but not much

That player with 5 Billion EXP (if they are even still here at the time) will outpace any new player buy leaps and bounds and in a day or two (again if they are even there, which I doubt they will be) they will be so far ahead of any new player that methodology is nixed.

In the end attempting to "wipe" us is going to cause prob more than 75% to just walk.

Now there is also the items, which is a whole other issue.

I had more here not worth it.

Bom, By Tor, King Robert and 2 others like this.
  11. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Soft wipe sounds ideal

Net, Alleine Dragonfyre and licemeat like this.
  12. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

What a silly idea, why don't they just make ep2 tier 5 plus, new players would then have masses of content to enjoy while experienced players get some new fun too. I mean why would you not want to do the ep1 stuff if you bought ep2.
    I know they talked about every episode being stand alone but at some point they need to get a grip.

Bedawyn, Bom, Feldon Grimshaw and 3 others like this.
  13. oplek

oplek Avatar

The fact they're even considering this worries me, to the point where I feel like I'm most likely wasting my time even playing now... so I'm less likely to play.

Osiris3, Bom, By Tor and 10 others like this.
  14. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I don't get it. What's the point? I get to spend hundreds of MORE hours rebuilding to where I was already?

I've been hearing rumors of this. I'm hoping it's not true. After all, I already have a job. Not looking for a second one :D

I'm guessing this hasn't been thought out and is still in discussion. I hope

Osiris3, Bom, Sorthious and 10 others like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I listened to the interview and to me it seems they are just thinking and having players do questing in episode 2 seems problematic due to so many levels of players is what was said. This was one thing that happened for episode 1 quests, I know just one thing since there were many issues ;). If you have not listened to the interview from Justyn and Woftam with Chris/Atos I would recommend you do. It was a great interview.

At one time I was in the camp that thought this game needed to release with a wipe to start fresh but the sales of so many items, pledge items and services to other players would have been a fiasco since the pledge items would go back to the account it was bound to and the services would be undone. It would have been crazy. So selling account bound items to other players if not transferred from one account to another would be a dangerous wipe to have.

But surely all of this is being considered and it would not be a full wipe. I too would rather see another way around this so players would not lose their hard work. It is so easy to raise in this game compared to other games that everyone who cares about it will be raised before they know it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

You got this scientific number from where ? lol. I see pros and cons of both.

17. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

terrible idea, i have played 3900 hours with the information that Sota is a persistent game....this is not diablo 3 for grind over and over again every season...

Osiris3, Bom, By Tor and 10 others like this.
  18. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I don't think it is tenable to ask new players to start at Ep1 before they can tackle Ep2. What happens when we get to more episodes? Should new players have to play through every previous episode?
    I think a leveling of old and new players is a necessity.
    If not a "Soft Reset", what solutions do you offer to make Ep2 attractive to both experienced and new players? I don't think arguments from self-interest will get much traction unless they also address the progression of the game as a whole.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

+1.

By Tor, Sorthious, Abhann and 6 others like this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

well hopefully they will want to. I think that the main story part of the quest system should build on each episode so for main quests of course it should be required to do the main story from start to finish. Side quests and stuff it would of course not be necessary. In other games you cannot even go to some areas if you have not unlocked them yet. This is part of reason to do things that have been lacking in this game. Everyone want everything right now and I do understand that we have been spoiled in some ways. But going forward we have to give some thought to lots of reason to do things in this game that are missing and get the achievement system and basic systems updated. Cooking system included. Why raise cooking other than to be able to make the only viable higher tier food in the game. No reason to use the lower tier again well unless you are too poor to afford higher tier then you gobble the lower tier since you really do now need these buffs finally.

Bedawyn and Floors like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.