Soft Wipe for Episode #2 ? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oplek

oplek Avatar

I didn't realize I was playing the "make progress - progress invalidated - make progress - progress invalidated - make progress - progress invalidated - make progress - progress invalidated" genre.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to dictate whether we're playing "the wrong" game or wrong here. The "contract" of the game can be set up in any way the developers see fit, as long as they stick to it. In this case, part of that was the promise of persistence.

2. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm not sure I understand this. Is EP.1 being completely abandoned and taken offline, and all new players will start in Ep 2? If not, then they'd have to fix the questing in Ep 1 so as to not keep losing new players there.

Boris Mondragon and Chatele like this.
  3. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

Just my 2 cents, if they wipe my progress to enter EP2 I will quit...anyone that says there is no difference between AL 80 and my level of 108 is wrong. I have worked hard to get certain trees to 20 resist and my 120 and 130s do considerably more damage since my level 80 days ..i know because the speed in which I can kill is drastically different . we shall see.

Rowell, FruityTooty, FrostII and 5 others like this.
  4. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

No, no. I simply posted my own theory that the team would make a new starting area in EP2 and start new players there. They could go back and do EP1 if they wanted, but no one would be forced to complete that EP1 content. Its just a theory and no basis of fact.

5. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I Just just did a respec from mage to melee / ranger for some fun and was now going to try another mage build , however as you mentioned, I dont want to waste resources or coin until I know what is going to happen. If for example our materials / gold all can be moved over just not gear I dont want to waste another beetle or anything if it means I can take it with me... even so if I cant take it with me then why would I want to grind any further in ep1. this is where logic prevails showing that until the paths are clear its hard to decide if I should even bother progressing further in something that I will have to drop to start over. @Chris help us OB One your our only hope.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Well I just recently bought a greater item of unlearning and cotos for guidance potions lol oops.

7. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

They could do what a lot of games I have played done... Is scale a lot of the new scenes to the players level.... so in a scene it doesn't matter what lvl you are, the mobs and the rewards scale to your chars lvl.... so EVERYONE gets to enjoy..... They did this to mostly dungeons and stuff.... works out great...

Cyin, Cianna, Boris Mondragon and 3 others like this.
  8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I agree on this 100% this solves alot of the issues.

Chatele and Cordelayne like this.
  9. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

They won’t wipe we made persistence. They promised. I have faith in Port and LB. They won’t screw us out of our hard work. We earned our levels and gear; and we will use both in Episode 2. As promised.

Osiris3, Elwyn, Redhammer and 6 others like this.
  10. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

i wonder why they are not anwsering and saying this aint true then... ;p

11. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

They are too busy working hard to deny a rumor without truth to it? If they wipe the game dies. If they mitigate our levels and gear, the game dies. To try to get new users at the price or losing those who paid to make this game (and pay to keep it going) would be financial suicide. LB won’t do that; we have too much invested.

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Too upsetting, just going to wait till I get further information before making drastic decisions. If they go thru with it I'd probably just stay in E1 and enjoy it as much as I can, also wouldn't feel the need to add any more monetary support since I've already paid for what I'm using, I would guess all funding at that point would be E2 related and of no benefit to me. The worst case scenario is moving on and playing occasionally. We'll see.

13. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

As the interview with Chris mentions this idea was to be considered further in a meeting on Wednesday ( later today, at the time I'm writing this) I'd be surprised if anyone from Portalarium comments before they have that that 'formal' conversation about what they think is the way ahead - I'm hoping for, and expecting, something from them after that have got their intentions lined up properly, ideally pretty quickly after that meeting, since I think it's certainly something they should be talking through with us before any 'setting a plan in stone' happens.

14. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

This is not a rumor. Chris discussed this during his 'Ask Atos Anything' interview linked earlier in this thread.

Chatele and Brass Knuckles like this.
  15. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Agreed.

How can a player economy restart every time an episode is released? And as you said, investing years into building up a character, then having to start over again?

Not logical. Definitely I'm against a wipe.

I'm working on Alpha/Beta testing other MMO games (such as Ashes of Creation). There are updates planned. And none are talking about blowing away years of work so everyone can start again.

I'm fairly certain this thread will come up when the Dev's get together to talk about EP2. Hard to miss. I'm not panicking. I am hopeful we'll have an official response. Perhaps during the next live stream to help settle things down :D

16. Caernarvon

Caernarvon Avatar

I think it's because they themselves don't know what they're going to do for certain at this point in time. IIRC Chris said they were discussing the matter on Wednesday (i.e. today) - so that's probably why there is radio silence on the matter for now, no doubt they will be gauging feedback in this thread. I suppose, all we know is that it's an idea and possibility at this point, and there isn't too much to go on in terms of any specifics, so all we can do is speculate, and some of it is probably wildly off the mark. I guess we just have to sit tight and wait and see what they have to say.

17. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Anyone who wants a wipe is simply jealous of those who have succeeded. I am a modest level avatar who is frankly not very good at playing SOTA. But I love playing it. It bothers me zero players are way better than I, or have way better equipment than I or even when I see 100 plus GM avatar. I have 60 GM’s. Been playing since early releases. Way before persistence. And I love to play. A wipe won’t let me catch the 100 plus GM guys and gals, as the skills that caused them to be that good will allow them to replicate their accomplishments. Which is great. Skills will always be necessary to play well. As they should!

No wipe LB. No fake wipe, viz., making mobs relatively strong compared to player level. If someone earns a 200 GM god avatar, let them enjoy their avatar and kill all the mobs they want. It won’t change my fun. Nor anyone else’s. Live and let live. And don’t take away what we earned. Please.

Osiris3, Rowell, Cianna and 15 others like this.
  18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

^^ this

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Why would new users do what’s considered endgame content? Well excluding ut because they do that.

Mhtic likes this.
  20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I guess what I’m haveing a hard time understanding since eps 1 is free why won’t new players start there they have said esp 2 quests will follow up on the eps 1 ones and imop that’s level 80 content.

Based on that assumption eps 2 will start out at level 80 is from the story line. Or am I wrong on that?

FruityTooty, FrostII, Mhtic and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.