Soft Wipe for Episode #2 ? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I was wondering when you were going to join in... ;)

2. Nomalice

Nomalice Avatar

Pretty simple for me. I'm not going to rebuild a character that I have spent years on. I am not going to reinvest time and assets into crafting that I spent years developing. I hope they post on this topic soon to clarify the situation, game direction and intent so I can do the same for myself.

3. smack

smack Avatar

At least for me, I don't feel this way and I support this proposal, despite the lack of information. From what has been said though, you are simply switching characters, so nothing is lost for your Ep1 character.

And for those asking about whether Ep1 is required before playing future episodes, this has come up many times before and even during the KS. They've answered this multiple times, such that you can play any Episode from scratch.

If the Ep2 content was only tuned for high level players or required that you finished Ep1 first, that breaks this original design goal.

All that said, a lot has changed and continue to change. I want to know more about their designs around this for Ep2.

4. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I would call end of storyline 1 lvl 60ish.

Surely having skills wiped for ep2 content is the equivalent of playing two different mmo's. I love lots of different ALTs and love the beginning but I like to do it with different ideas for a character not have to repeat the same.
    New players would be attracted to episode 2 because it's new, why would having double the content (1+2) put them off? That makes no sense, assuming they fix the questing system/journal for both.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  5. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Wow, what a sh1tstorm. “Pitches a tent”. So some agree and some disagree. I will keep it simple, no way in hell I can take back the clock for all the hours I put into this grind fest we have without an end game. No way I would “attune” magic skills I seldom use to get magic resistance again.

This idea is the biggest brain fart ever conceived in SOTA history in my opinion, and would effectively destroy every QOL change done to keep players and hopefully bring back the ones that left.

How difficult is it to create a couple of simple quests to transition to the new lands and make a t-3 and t-4 zone for the new players. Instead bring new mats into the new zone and let people keep what they “earned”. Give us and endgame instead of taking away our efforts.

“Steps out of the Sh1t storm and leaves the tent up for those that don’t want to get splattered”

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Since this seems to just persist lets look at it this way.

What are they trying to fix? The possibility that players ahev reach "end Game" at such a point that they cant keep up?

Long ago player kept telling them that they need to figure out how to reign in players before they hit a level that they can waltz thru any and all without any difficulty. Thjeir reply was, this wont happen. They reelased more "harder" content and it was "completed" in hours. Rarae items are not rare withing minutes of an update.

Ep 1 is still not close to be a true finished product, there are many flaws, bugs, incomplete parts that it is sad, but they have to continue to "proceded" because so many players have nothing left to do but sit in a single placve a Grind.

Now they also sold 5 episodes and they have to make them entertaing and worth while, however they are completely stuck on what to do.

One possible solution is make so players will want to coninute to work from a new slate.

We will not completely destroy what they did but they will basically have to rework from the start.

They do not have anything really new, so this will get gamed from the first hour and those who just actually want to even stick it out will have found the scene they can game and regain 5 mill exp before the sun sets on the first day. right back to where we are now.

SO the fix, will not work and one thing it clearly will do is a lot of players who are at the "end game" NOW WILL WALK.

Soooo how do they address this problem? ? ? ?

That is where they are at. Now I may be wrong but I have been able ot say ITYS for 80% of this story so far.

so do oyu want to help the devs.

Give them a way out?

Sadly I see a wipe as the only "solution" to the true problem, the secondary problems is how to you prevent the same thing from hapaening again,, That is a "soft Cap"

Sorry but decay worked as a soft cap, it may have been a bad mechanic but it did have the desired effect.

The other solution is make it HHHAAARRRDDD to kill or famr, work on the AI work on the system.

This is not diablo that oyu kill him in easy mode then switch to hell and use the stuff you gained in easy, this is a Persistant MMO that was supposed to have player generate economy, chalanging and inventive. It turned out to be a grind to get to the most GM the fastest.

give up for now bite the bullet stop EP until you can create what was desired in the first place.

If a wipe is validated with a true game behind it you might have a chance at saving the progression.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I really hope they will reconsider because I'm not interrested in playing the episode 2 that @Chris was describing during that podcast.

8. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Weins201 ; Brother I understand your passion for this game and intent to make it survive and succeed.

My idea of an endgame is not about killing the next high level mob or clearing the next created scene, it is about conquest, glory and power. I have an idea to present to all of you interested about a new “endgame” within SOTA that could involve PVP/PVE/RP/Anyone else left out.

I plan to drop this concept for all interested to help
    Construct and present very soon. This idea began on 3 December 2017 with the first battle of Dragomir and was a planned battle and a very successful event.
    We took it a step further with the help of @Antrax Artek , @Dhanas and many others. We have just scratched the surface and will have another one this Sunday in Dragomir Mori. We did all this without the help of Portalarium. Imagine what we can do if they help us. More to follow on a separate thread. Look at the New Heaven twitch video and see what was created by us the players.

Maybe this kind of thinking will end the idea of a soft wipe for EP2.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I am this is great news if true, have a link?

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  10. Drasvar Spiderglum

Drasvar Spiderglum Avatar

I remember reading an interview with, I think it was Richard, a year or two ago when he was talking about each episode being a stand alone game. That didn't make much sense to me at the time, I just thought I was not understanding what was being said, because it sounded stupid for an mmo.
    So this isn't a complete surprise, but I will be playing Ashes of Creation, not sota ep2.

Katu, Sentinel2, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

AoC is Windows only. Maybe I'll check out Undone's game.

12. smack

smack Avatar

So maybe SotA isn't an MMO after all? :D:p:rolleyes:

Sorry...couldn't resist.

13. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I've a couple of suggestions to manage entry to Ep2.
    - A new character is created, but experience gained also transfers back to your old Ep1 character, essentially doubling the points.
    - Ep1 characters AND GEAR can enter Ep2 but cannot progress through the quest or enter any quest-related scenes.
    - Characters can move freely from one land to another, given the above constraints.

I came up with these in about 10 minutes. I'm not a professional and I didn't go to the meeting. I suspect our team at Portalarium can come up with more and better solutions.

Astirian likes this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

From that ^^^ I take it you play alone... How would they "scale" a scene to a party that includes AdvLvl 110's and AdvLvl 20's ?

I think that you're forgetting one pretty obvious thing - which is - if they are New Users then Ep1 is NOT "older content". To them it's brand new and can enjoy it and build their chars just like we've been doing here in Ep1.

Malimn, Cyin and Brass Knuckles like this.
  15. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I've no idea whether scaling a scene is possible given the base that things are built on. For those that just wish to increase the difficulty of Ep2, I've gotta ask, do we keep scaling difficulty for each episode? Do new players have to play through all preceding episodes before being viable in the latest episode?

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Did you leave out an OR in there, such as:
    "- A new character is created, but experience gained also transfers back to your old Ep1 character, essentially doubling the points.
    OR
    - Ep1 characters AND GEAR can enter Ep2 but cannot progress through the quest or enter any quest-related scenes."

17. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Yes

However there would still be lower tier scenes, but if the story is to be a continuation, surely it has to start from where the previous episode finished.

Otherwise it might as well be a separate game.

18. Drasvar Spiderglum

Drasvar Spiderglum Avatar

Well that's how most MMOs work. And I've played many when I've joined the game late and still enjoyed the older content. What is wrong with that?

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They could use level/skill capping, which is already implemeted and working tech, and progressively raise the caps as you progress through the story. They could even come up with a story contrivance for it (just like they would have to do for wiping our characters).

Jaesun and Cordelayne like this.
  20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Idk but I feel they owe the community some information ASAP , this state of flux is bad for the game bad for the community and definently bad for the business . Universal chat is effected, guild chat is effected, discord channels be blowing up.

Either way they come down I’d like to know sooner vrs later. I realize not everything is worked out yet but it’s almost like eps 2 was a surprise to them ;).

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.