Soft Wipe for Episode #2 ? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

As an MMO, I have no interest in this.

K1000, Cordelayne and Brass Knuckles like this.
  2. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Yeah and as we know how buggy some systems could be made, you noticed even not worst way how it could be :D
    The only possible way of soft wipe how Atos call it for me, its no att cap fo ALL amount of EXP you get in EP1. All others like x2 on exp and etc are just unacceptable and will will force huge amount of avatars to leave the game.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  3. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Surprise stream! I suppose you will have to tell us what your expectations of Portalarium staff usage of the twitch.tv stream before they sign in and use it at random times to show their experience of the game? Or is there a protocol for ad-hoc usage?

Sean Silverfoot and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Watching it now. From what I'm hearing, he said they were getting feedback from people. It was being suggested.

The way he explained it, sounds like a Solo play game. Not an MMO.

I believe they need to decide if it's an MMO and go that way, or not. I've played in other MMO's. Not a lot. But some. New episodes added didn't mean we had to get wiped. New lands or continents didn't mean you started over again. There was a LOT of scaling going on for most that I've played.

Hopefully they've received enough feedback and alternative suggestions from people here.

Chatele likes this.
  5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I am a fan of the devs playing, thanks @Chris

The ONE positive thing about this. You don’t got to be good just doing it is enough :)

Sentinel2 likes this.
  6. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Seriously dude?

I'm curious what solution you see working here. Chris in the livestream has valid points. Which is why I'm here talking about it. Looking for a better way to move forward.

Astirian, Jaesun, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  8. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I listened to the Twitch Stream, where Chris spoke further about his visions for a softwipe and I'm still against it. I understand the desire to balance episode 1 and 2, however I have spent many, many hours getting myself to a decent level and I sure as hell don't want to go through all the fizzling again. Nor do I want to have to tame a zillion creatures again or spend the time raising any of the skills I've gained previously.... This to me would be a total pain in the backside and essentially two steps backwards.

I have played WoW and Everquest and I prefer the methods they introduced where a player is 'Soft' reset in an expansion through higher level content. Players in these games don't lose what they've already invested countless hours into, but instead, go on to learn new skills/levels and their characters are seen to be Progressing not Regressing.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I think once Chris gets 2-4 years in as a player he will understand better.

10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

49 minutes into the stream. (still watching it). Chris mentioned the most likely solution will be scaling. Not a soft wipe. "Honestly the more likely option" he mentioned. I can work with that.

11. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I regret every cent i have placed into this game to get wiped out. Also regret the numberous hours spent to discover bugs and exploit and reporting them. Also regret trying to convince people that this game would be the greatest game of all (Sorry all, i was wrong).

And Sentinel2, do you think its a good idea to mention a soft wipe months before it happen? Who is gonna join and play now? Cmon, every decision they taking is not thinked at all, i can do this kind of **** decision every day by not caring about anything. And yes there is solution, but who am i to work hours as a designer when its clearly not my job and im just a player? Send me 500$ Ill find you a solution. Im sorry but this cant be good. And i saw how ep1 went from persistance and it was a bunch of tries do and dont. Why would it get better in ep2 ? Cause chris said so? I wanna be a believer too but im not stupid.

FruityTooty, Chatele, K1000 and 10 others like this.
  12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I don't disagree with you. However we're reacting rather than moving this into a better path. I'm watching the stream still. See my comment above. Chris said we're not likely to have any kind of wipe. Scaling is the likely solution.

I don't see a problem with that. Going to tougher lands, I expect my older gear to be not as good now. I expect to get my rear kicked. I also expect to be able to grow and progress further. it's an MMO. Right?

:D

Chatele and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  13. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Are we expecting a $60 dollar package where one character on one account gets a boost to have enough experience for advLevel 80, or whatever the expected minimum survival level is? - Yes, its a sensitive topic and a topic of how the MMOs approach new expacs..

14. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Good question. I don't think anyone knows anything quite yet how any of this will play out. Like Chris said in the livestream. They wanted to toss the idea(s) out there and see what the response would be. And I'm ok with that. I like it when the dev's come to the community asking for help and guidance. We're not going to always get everything we want. However I think having the dialogue and helping them understand the problems guide us to a solution.

Chatele, Bodhbh Dearg, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Hmmm... I don't think there has been a problem like this in the history of online gaming. If only there were a few examples, both good and bad, on how to deal with all this that they could have learned from?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

To be fair, nothing has been implemented or even decided on yet, so everyone please temper the doom and gloom.

17. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Honestly, I can't say if a soft wipe its something good or not for this game until we get an official post explaining the system (right now this is all speculations), but was not a good move to talk about it at this moment not even close to middle of the year, probably too soon imho.

Jaesun and Sentinel2 like this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You guys are going ballistic over what you imagine is going to happen with what are so far are vague toss-around ideas, as though they were already done deals.

Episode 1 is and will remain free to play, but Episode 2 will not be. In today's stream, Chris was talking about that they might make that go free when Episode 3 work starts.

A DAY? A WHOLE DAY? HORRORS! THEY SHOULD BE ON CALL 7/24!!!

Chris is trying to get practice doing more streams. He announced it in Discord and will probably do another one tomorrow. The stream title is wrong because he wasn't logged into the shroudoftheavatar account to change anything, he just had the stream key set up in OBS.

Here is the link:
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/391407762

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  19. CICI

CICI Avatar

20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Cordelayne and CICI like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.