Sailing ships still planned for episode 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Mar 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

where is that gif from, a movie?

2. eli

eli Avatar

What's the point though?

Why would you find pvp in the middle of the ocean when you can't find it in pvp zones already? Is the point pve? Standing on a premade ship fighting a mob is not much different from standing in a premade dungeon fighting a mob.

Transport is already fast and free.

It just seems like an overengineered fishing platform, unless they are delivering it in the context of a larger experience.

Amelli and Gorthyn like this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

MAKE ALL SEAS FORCED PVP MULTIPLYER!
    *grabs popcorn*

4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Optimal implementation = large sea maps. If we can get large ocean maps to get that open world feeling and transition across them with things to avoid then errmageerrrd.

And if they had transition tiles into ports....

5. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

someone needs to make an armada of caster/archers that sail around in dingys

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

NO!

7. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Those will be great until a galleon breaks them in half :)

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

No clue. Did a search for Happy dance and Pirates lol

9. Curt

Curt Avatar

Make it so most of the actual sailing is done on the worldmap so don't need to do animations of sails and all deco details.

IF dragged into a roaming encounter can have the ship unable to actual move.

On the worldmap have

• Reefs
    • Wind direction/strength
    • Currents
    Most ships can't sail well near reefs, perhaps here is where PvP action can be (dragging into an encounter where you has to manuver your ship well or else.
    Row boats has an advantage against the wind.

Boris Mondragon and Alioth like this.
  10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

They already have the deco mechanics to "stow for sea" in place: The property manager. With a little modification, it is completely doable.

I could see it being handled like this:

• Add options to Plot stone to "Stow for Sea" and the ship's wheel for "Set sail!"
      • "Stow for Sea"
        • Basically a property manager slot into which current deco must be loaded prior to being able to "Set Sail!"
        • Once used, it changes to something like "Rig ship for docking", which allows you to reload the deco onto your docked house.
      • "Set Sail!"
        • Undocks house from lot, and leaves placeholder deco to show the lot is claimed.
        • When ship is pulled into encounter, if ship is stationary (which I totally hope is NOT the case), then the wheel becomes the "Exit Scene" item.
    All accounts with a ship type house deed automatically get one "Stow for sea" locker to allow for this without incurring initial cost. While travelling on the seas, if you are going to enter a town scene, you must have an empty claimed water lot large enough to accommodate the ship. If not, the option to "Enter Port" from the overland map will be grayed out.

Add other options to taste and bake at 450 for a year...

11. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

They have to catch them first :) Perhaps they can use gust to give themselves a short speed boost to avoid the larger ships

12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I am glad we are thinking up ideas for this to work. I propose a crew of 8 (current max party size) per ship with an option to board once the ship hit points get low enough. Imagine the combination of party members/boarding/fighting tactics :)

CatherineRose and majoria70 like this.
  13. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@ErikRulez : your idea of a dinghy does have possibilities if they could be placed one per ship as an amphibious landing device. My idea goes even further to possibly have ship to ship and ship to town with movable cannons for ground defense. This could open up a new PVP scale warfare as we progress. :)

CatherineRose likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

But we do need a raid system too in this game for combat and other things large concert bands. Please please @Chris don't forget. The raid system should allow you to heal and rez those in your raid group unless a certain area had restrictions to that. ;)

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’m not even sure the devs are active anymore in the fourms, they use to be super active here and apart of the conversation.

Now and I’m not saying this is bad they do weekly live streams. Quick touches in the fourms would be welcome again.

I like that idea, or looking in to it, we will see, I’m aware of your concerns, thanks for feedback (they do sometimes but usually when a thread details) even a Brass ur an idiot would be ok from time to time.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  16. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

just want to ram all your all's asses then drop my hook on your deck before coming aboard and
    Yea I have been dreaming of that one forever 3 years. A whole new bunch of skills for a Shipwright/Sailmaker/Cartographer/Treasure Hunter/Merchant Mariner with special skills needed to use a boat with maybe even some official titles and duties held by all working together to make the ship run properly and do battle as needed.

Boris Mondragon and Astirian like this.
  17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sure I’m just saying the amount of touches today vrs the early days is very diffrent

18. oplek

oplek Avatar

It's understandable, but as you say - it's their job. Or, ideally, an ombudsman / community manager. Reality doesn't owe the company existence. A lot of simmering / wrath happens because they don't come in and try to diffuse it, and they are sabotaging themselves by not proactively dealing with the community.

This isn't the first game to die, and in terms of an average "timeline", we've entered the "lights are on but nobody's home" stage. It was noticeable to me months ago that Darkstarr seems to have mostly checked out. RB before that. Chris seems to be calling the shots more, and that wasn't really his job. The standup notes have ceased for almost 2 weeks. Setting aside Scottie's contributions, and the bug forums, the last substantive response from a dev-leader was March 4. So while it may or may not be the factual, it feels like the ship is slowly being abandoned.

So it'd really be nice if Portalarium decided that demonstrating a higher level of life and responsiveness, was higher priority.

19. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

RRRicardo Britannicoooo!

eli and Boris Mondragon like this.
  20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’ll admit it does seam like so esp here on the fourms. It’s impossible to have meaningful back and forth dialog I know the player base is massive and dropping in on a legitimate post and having to respond is tedious but I think there are so many missed opportunities to touch base with the players here. The video format isn’t bad but there is not back and forth dialog they just pick some stuff they want to talk about and show. Would be fantastic if there was better back and forth with the people play their game it’s obvious they don’t play much this is a good way to learn what’s going on in game from the people who play it.

Some times they do respond to private message on things but I feel many times this information would be better in a public dialog vrs 1 person getting/sharing info.

Anyways back to topic- Go boats!

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.