Can equality solve some of our conflicts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mac2, Mar 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This is tongue in cheek: If you have 1 PvP'er, yes, there are not enough targets. If you have 2 PvP'ers, then each has one target, and so on... If the argument is that as a group PvP'ers have no targets, well, that's just nonsensical.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  2. sotasota4

sotasota4 Avatar

I do not agree with items-buff working only in pvp areas --- pvp also occurs a lot outside, they should only work against players maybe -)

3. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

This, I think, is the core "problem." Some folks just find it terrifying to be attacked. Reason, balance, equality will not alleviate the emotional reasons that people don't PvP.

Speaking from my own perspective, the "thrill" of fighting another player is no such thing - it is, rather, a queasy, shaky feeling of too much adrenaline. I don't like it. As I've said, I'll gladly volunteer to be cannon fodder in a big battle, but day-to-day, nothing will get me to PvP where I'm actually expected to fight. It just makes me feel physically awful.

As I've also said before, I won't condemn PvP, but neither should I have to face a school of sharks every time I leave my house.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

3 runs is level 62 :). I have done so many alts, too many.

5. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Rather than another lengthy post, I think I am just going to go with

lol

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  6. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

That right there is why you have no PvErs playing PvP. The "sheep" term needs to stop being the draw here. If all you want is a poor defenseless target, go pick on a moving target dummy. If you want something more entertaining than taking advantage of anyone coerced into the zone due to promised greater riches in the PvE realm, then you need to think a little differently than the "sheep" to the slaughter issue. This seems to be the big divide. PvP just wants "sheep". In that case there really is no risk vs. reward as they are way over powered for the sheep and will never have any difficulty. There is no way to satisfy PvP if that is the only goal. All I ever see is how to we get the PvP players more targets and coerce PvErs into the zone? Simply if you have to passively force players to PvP, then your PvP system isn't worth playing.

The next complaint I always hear form PvPers is how much they lose in exp or $ to PvP over PvErs.. well sorry but if you want to PvP it is an entirely different game and you should not care about PvE objectives. The game should have objectives for you of course and ways, within your system, to support yourself. Now normally, like in WoW and some other games, PvPers can join battlegrounds and other such things to earn currency. These games last about 15 minutes tops. The gear that can be obtained is much better than a PvEr can get in general areas and competes with raid drops. Again you have the anger and disparity in the quick leveling and greater gear that said PvP player just turns around and uses in PvE. Its uneven and PvP players just love it. Thankfully some games realized this and changed these rewards to boost PvP stats more than the PvE stats.

The next argument PvErs have with PvP is the balancing that happens just because of PvP. This tends to make PvE mobs harder for us non-PvPers and it just causes all kinds of nerfs and changes that would not have happened if PvP didn't exist. We tolerate that though as we get you have a right to play your way if you want to. It would be nice if this didn't impact raids and other boss mobs though and favorite skills. It is just a headache.

So all these disparities are why there are Battle Royale type games and why any game that feels the need to capture both audiences has a heck of a time doing so. PvErs are more than happy to try and work with PvP, but in a fair way and interesting game play way. PvPers seem to have far less give in that direction. At any rate if Port can solve this one; then they will be the best game out there.

7. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

I will start off by saying I am not a pvper. With that being said, I have mixed feelings about unique mobs/drops in only PvP zones. Stuff like the artifacts, recipes/blueprints don't bother me so much. Things like the dragons do. The reason for this is the amount of time/exposure required to get lucky enough for a dragon head to drop is beyond reasonable for a non-pvp minded person. Chris has said in one of the livestreams it's like a 1in 50 chance to get a dragon head. Anyone that has hunted dragons anywhere looking for a dragon head knows the odds feel much worse. Risk vs reward is 1 thing if you are talking resource gathering or normal loot drops. Skinning and odds from a dragon or other animal put that beyond the realm of feasible for most of us that aren't into pvp. So then we are left to pay extortionate prices for the items if we want them. Oh and forgot to mention... where do you think the pvpers check first when looking to pk a player like me? Maybe the only spot that has a white or green dragon?

Boris Mondragon and kaeshiva like this.
  8. Mhtic700R

Mhtic700R Avatar

Pretty cool post, thanks for sharing yalls opinions!

I always liked pvp in many games, usually it's a great end game content.

But in sota i was always turned off by the unbalanced and ransome.

I sure would love to see no loot battlegrounds like a capture the flag or something. Would be pretty cool if it was more balanced many average players would also join im sure. Just need to find some kind of reward system.

As for now, if there would be no ransom im sure more people would aventure into the fall and try fighting unfair fights just for the fun of it and alot of people would cry much less.

Then again, it would be quite hard to make it rewarding in open areas to avoid cheaters killing their own alts/friends to farm points.

So make it rewardless, but fun? Heh

:)

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I believe you are correct that equality is what will merge the two communities. Drop all forced PvP zones now everyone can go everywhere. Drop all benefits (carrots) for being Flagged (PvP). The benefit one gets from PVP should be titles and prestige of being the best and winning the fight. It should be fun to PVP, you should not have to be paid to PVP, Trying to entice players (lead lambs to slaughter) with PVE rewards is what is building a huge rift that most non-PvP players and a lot will not even enter a PVP area Just to show how against it they are.

Crafters in PVP? Why? When did PvP become stepping on ants over a good challenging duel?

Open the scenes, make PvP fun, split dmg calculations by Player vs Player and Player vs Mob, add in imbalance where as certain builds do destroy others but can be destroyed by others, add a cap to attunement benefits in PVP only...promote more things for the obisidian trials.

Mhtic and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  10. sotasota4

sotasota4 Avatar

You should not have to be paid to do PVE --- You should be happy with titles and prestige of being the killer of mobs )) Why baiting pvp players to pve with carrots?

11. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

PVE is the game currently. PvP is end game and comes when players need to test their skills after raising their character through PVE. If you want a MOBA then they really need to focus on the obsidian trials and a smart matchmaking system. The days of UO hunting crafters, gatherers and people that don’t even want to PVP is dead. I have not heard a single popular game title that has adopted this model and been successful.

And MOBA is the direction all popular games are going currently. The one aspect that this has it takes time to level your players and bring them into the arena. Time invested and skill would be important to the outcome. I wish they would realize that sooner than later. And try to catch the younger player demographic that has a really short attention span.

12. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

But in a way there is this in sota, and stealth included. Nearby players window, you can see the ? . I watch that. Hide if I see someone come in the zone and scope them out before I decide if I’ll stay or go. Between the nearby player window, stealthing, the examine key, listening, and that most zones are huge, there a lot to work with in the basic zones and I’ve never been snuck up on in a pve area.
    Even in the pvp zones where you can’t see the nearby players until you’ve targeted them on screen, there’s still stealth and listening. I spend a lot of time farming in the pvp zones and maybe it’s attention to the little things, or the lack of other people popping in, but I’ve only been snuck up on in a pvp zone once.

13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

In other MMOs that I have played that were heavily PvE populated, the one thing that really jump started PvP play was rare events with rare rewards. For example, some of you may remember that a few years into original EQ there was a GM hosted PvP event for each class, with the winner getting a title unique to that event. Tons of people that never PvP at all spent weeks dueling to practice for that thing, and it was super popular and created a lot of buzz.

Having rare/rewarding PvP events in SotA wouldn't necessarily need to involve dev interaction at the time of the event. It could all be done with game mechanics. An event could open up roughly once a month in some place like obsidian trials that has a structure that is enforced without dev assistance. If the reward for winning such an event couldn't be obtained any other way, it wouldn't need to be anything OP to attract a lot of interest. Interest in the events would help encourage PvP play outside of the events, because people wanting a shot at the prize would want to practice throughout the month to be prepared.

I think that the best kind of prize for an event like that would be something that is mostly a status item, but maybe with some kind of minor but unique functionality. You definitely wouldn't want the only prize to be some piece of PvP only gear, because it wouldn't draw as many people off the sidelines. No reason there couldn't be multiple prizes for winning though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.