1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Things I've Created for the Spring Equinox!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

But that's not a Spring equinox table ! The way you can tell is the strawberry cream cake, which is eaten at Midsummer.

Scottie likes this.
  2. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Heh, heh! But aren't you just slightly tempted to open up a bakery now Atogrim? This stuff kinda makes me want to... ^_^

Yeah,...the specifically Easter-like stuff might make limited appearances as decos to use and enjoy (the egg basket and perhaps the confection bunny heads)... But yes, just as you mentioned Craftymethod, I created the rest of the dessert offerings to be of a more "general" nature so folks might enjoy serving them at birthdays, displaying them in a shop of general baked goods and confection treats, and offering them as plates of food at parties and dinners they may host...

I actually plan, at some point, to continue the food theme as a whole by creating deco objects out of all the plates and platters of food I made for the Hall of Unending Feast in Artifice... And, of course, there's a full list of food recipes that I could choose from to make deco objects out of eventually. And much like I themed a few of these specifically for Springtime, I could do the same by creating holiday/seasonal-themed food at other times of the year... Heck, folks in the Middle-Ages had all kinds of seasonal festivals they celebrated with food, all of which could be great inspiration for deco objects... (can you tell I love food?) ^_^

3. Scottie

Once you folks have these eggs in your hands, ANYONE with property can host an egg-hunt on their own properties! For awhile it wasn't as feasible because of the deco placement limits (which still exist for the individual player house properties), but now that those have been raised in player-owned towns as a whole, having a "town-wide" egg-hunt is totally on-the-table! It should be fun to do!

Oh, so you mean a different kind of egg, like the plastic ones you can open up! That might be a cool thing to add for next year! You wouldn't need to dye them, necessarily, and they may need to be set down in limited numbers (along with the dyeable eggs for an egg-hunt), because of the container placement limits,...but I'm assuming you'd be able to fill them with a small number of useful items, like gold coins, reagents, gems, etc...(stuff that would be inventory icons only)... That could be really cool!

4. Scottie

That's a cool idea! And glass-lids of that kind could be multi-functional for a lot of different uses... I'd need to experiment to see if they would look good enough, though... Glass panes for windows work fairly well, but creating any kind of "free-standing" glass objects that look good is difficult in a game like ours, because the "material shaders" we use don't really include a decent "glass renderer" material... Glass always seems to be something that, to get looking right, requires the use of shaders that get REALLY expensive for frame-rate...especially when you start having such objects as decoration all around you all of the time (like in towns and cities)... You can look at an alchemy station and see the glass vials and bottles there... That's about as good as we can manage at our current technology limitations... Would that work visually, in your opinion, for a glass lid for those confection trays and stands? If so, then I'll see if I can make them with the next set of food decos we offer during the next holiday season! ^_^

5. Scottie

Ha ha!!! But that's the March Hare right there enjoying it... So it MUST be acceptable for Spring! :p:D

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that looks good enough for me!

Scottie likes this.
  7. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

@Scottie Now which one of those cakes in the mind altering one? ;)

Scottie likes this.
  8. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

From weekly update:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=104925

Scott "Scottie" Jones has been busily creating all sorts of Spring goodies for our Avatars! The Confection Eggs and Confection Bunnies will be new loot on the Arch Lapin! A lot of this work was making placeable decorations for food items so some of these new items will tie to existing items like cupcakes for the Lord British Birthday Cakes or a placeable and dyeable Cake Slice to go with the existing Cake Slice Recipe. The whole dyeable cake will be available in the crown shop as a decoration for those looking to save on decoration limits (versus placing individual slices). Some of the new confections and dyeable cupcake will be part of the Spring Equinox Replenishing Platter which will be available on the Crown Shop. The new dyeable eggs will also go on the Crown Shop but there will be an in-game recipe for a plain dyeable egg as well. The Confection Platter will be available on the in-game decorations merchant for gold while the Confection Stand will be available in the Crown Shop. For more details on Scottie's process read below:

9. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Scottie likes this.
  10. Caernarvon

Caernarvon Avatar

That stuff looks absolutely fab, really nice job.

Scottie likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I suddenly find myself quite puckish.. love it!

If only they would ask you to make deco versions of all the craftable food! (@DarkStarr hint hint)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Scottie likes this.
  12. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

[​IMG]

Scottie likes this.
  13. Brazen Spirituality

Brazen Spirituality Avatar

@Scottie You rocked it, as per usual! I am hoping to see you soon, perhaps at the List. *hugs*

Scottie likes this.
  14. Scottie

Happy Ostara everyone! The Spring Equinox is here!

Scottie ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.