Soft Wipe for Episode #2 ? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I appreciate the video but unless I heard Chris wrong .. he said a soft wipe was "unlikely". That's encouraging but I would've been more relieved to hear him say it was a definitive "NO".

Cordelayne, Osiris3, K1000 and 2 others like this.
  2. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Considering there was supposed to have been a "team meeting" a week ago to discuss this very topic and other options on the table... more info would be more than welcome :p

Osiris3, K1000, Mishikal and 2 others like this.
  3. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I'm curious what the other options are as well.

The livestream yesterday, I believe he mentioned it was a possibility (again). I'm hoping they move on to some better mechanic rather than forcing vets to start all over again. Other MMO's have new lands and content added all the time. No player base restart necessary. And to choose which of 5 economies to play within. Well, doesn't that split up our player base even further?

I'd have to select which world to stick with?

By Tor likes this.
  4. Asari

Asari Avatar

Yes but they also "restart" the loot and economy by adding easily obtainable start loot that is better than the best the previous version of the game had to offer. This way it starts out with a level field. New materials, blueprints etc are introduced which are better / worth more than the so far existing ones which restarts the economy.

Those measures make sure that new players are not turned off by getting into a game where they have no or little chance to ever catch up.

I don't see Port. doing any of that. Which will make exiting players happy... but I thought we want to grow the playerbase ...

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  5. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I disagree. Also it goes against a player economy if we keep restarting it for every episode.

And catching up to what? I keep hearing that from people. What are they trying to catch up to?

I started yet another character and after two months of casual play, I have GM'd a skill. Both pools have about 1 million xp banked. I'm already taking on tier 5 zones.

Then my main character. That's a LOT of work to pretend it just didn't happen.

6. Asari

Asari Avatar

And THAT's why this game won't grow.

Brass Knuckles and FruityTooty like this.
  7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

and THAT's not an answer.

Answer the question please.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  8. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

If you think new people join and see there was a wipe even after they said there was no wipe your dreaming,there will be another one in ep 3, then ep4, etc which supose to happen every year lol... i think the hammer has already hit anyway just saying this information WAY too earlier. I dont see why, with any effort, people would join a game before a wipe happen.

And every week passing without them saying it wont happen or that they gonna find a new way to do so is just adding a new nail in the coffin.

9. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

Do we have any official news on this subject? A lot of players in my guild have been waiting for an announcement. Most are a bit discouraged and haven't played much in the past few weeks (myself included).

Sentinel2, Brass Knuckles and By Tor like this.
  10. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

To be honest, I haven't really been playing much for the past month or so. What's the point in playing if all the skill levels/xp/gold/recipes earned are simply going to be wiped away. That's there's no official word, even after 24 pages of talk about it, is disheartening.

No, wiping is not a way to make the game grow. That's a sure way to kill it.

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

What the heck @Chris . I’ve changed my mind let’s have a wipe for ep2. As long as offline mode is there and at the same or above amount of content

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There seems to be a lot of misinformation now in this thread. Nobody at Portalarium ever said that the current game would be wiped. What @Chris said, and what they were considering, is that when you travel to the episode 2 lands, you would start there with essentially a new avatar. When you travel back to the episode 1 lands, you would resume playing as your current avatar.

Elwyn, Net, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

And he was very very very very specific that the soft wipe for episode 2 lands was unlikely to occur.

Brass Knuckles, Net and Barugon like this.
  14. Katu

Katu Avatar

Just one (1) post, could clear all the misinformation.

22 days since this thread was started.
    20 days since devs answered anything at all to any post ( excluding patch notes and such )
    Last 30 days, there's something like 2 threads, where devs gave any answers ( excluding bug reports )
    Just realized, that they are not that active on boards, they lurk here and I bet they read stuff, but for some reason, no answers. Ofc, they are not obligated to answer, not lawyering anyone..

They are supposed to get EP2 out at end of year? and they don't even know if there's new character required or not. How can they design any content or anything at all, if this has not been locked yet ( one way or another ).

Brass Knuckles, K1000 and By Tor like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

And this is the only reason why I’m still logging in, the less likely any wipe will happen the more likely I’ll play.

The bigger cost is in dollars, I’m not spending any money until I know the plan for the wipe.

Chris did say esp2 wipe is unlikely esp 3 wipe is very likely.

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The soft wipe will not occur. Clearly they have already catered to a leveling treadmill culture in this game by eliminating any curbing of experience or skill level gains. And there's no way they would risk losing 75% of an already small community who stays for that gaming aspect. Aint gonna happen.

Brass Knuckles and Spinok like this.
  17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

18. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

i spent 2 and half years grinding like hell to get crafting skills to 120. no way in HELL will give up 6000 hours of work just to play ep2. if they do any softwiping, me and most likely 3/4 of the player base WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN THERE.
    simple as that. they just dont realize the commitment we put into our characters. 6000 hours(its counted on steam).
    btw, i made a second character and after 7 hours in UT he had no problem mining tier 5. that was in 3 days.
    my guild leader has a town ready to go for ep2 lands and i have 2 village lots with a crafting pav and a new player inn ready to go.
    wasted stuff if they do any resets.

Rowell, By Tor and Brass Knuckles like this.
  19. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

And that's why I'm asking again. Unlikely isn't a no.

I was hoping for a definitive response. Since they had a meeting recently to discuss this.

Cordelayne, K1000 and By Tor like this.
  20. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Sure they had a meeting and nothing was decided. One meeting, or two or ten or 100,doesn’t mean that decisions are made. This is especially true when designing systems far into the future. I doubt that the design isn’t going to be finalized until the last minute so that they can be as flexible as possible. Anything else is just speculation, but so many people like to react to speculation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.