Selective multiplayer+drop chance solution.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinok, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

My 2 cents in pills

Problems:
    -The incentive to choose private mode over multiplayer is huge.
    -Multiplayer mode is disincetivized.
    -Even the most popular zone "UT" is often empty in multiplayer mode, the fact that almost every adventuring zone has no players in mp is a bad symptom, and often discourages new players.
    -The private farming is flooding the market of the game, whether this is denied or not it is what is happening.
    -Private farming allow people to bot and to game the respawn of bosses.

Solutions:
    -Stop incentivizing private mode over multiplayer reducing xp/drop rates in private mode (you already have all the scene for you, you can't pretend to have the same rates as multiplayer)
    -Incentivize multiplayer mode, more people are in the zone faster is the respawn.
    -Make some bosses spawn in multiplayer only.
    -Put a big cooldown to switch from multiplayer to private, in this case just who needs to do it will do it and not everyone just to take advantage on respawn.
    -Fix cheating on respawn time.
    -Make people feel like they're playing a mmorpg and not their personal private playground.

Spinok and Spungwa like this.
  2. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

This i like.
    Incentivising multi open is a MUCH better solution. But it does no completely fix the problem. Why for example does adventuring incur no gold sink, only crafters incur gold sinks.

Though I would still argue that flooding the market is a symptom of lack of demand in the economy than over supply. No amount of changing drop rate is going to fit the problem that in this game as the player base increases the rate at which stuff is gathered hugely out weighs the increased the demand from the more players.

Making the resources so scarce to achieve this with the current demand would involve all casual players that only really do the gathering play style to leave as they will go out and find nothing to do. And only people that have the time to farm the bosses in low population time zones would be selling to everyone else.

Regards
    Spung

3. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

And this one still has the problem (without massive changes to the game) of there being no competition. I get some boss to 1k HP, a sword user unstealths, coup de grace, i lose.
    Where is competition?

4. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I agree on this point, the loot and xp should go to who did most of the damage imho.

Aldo likes this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Where is the evidence for this "botting" that you refer to ? @Antrax Artek

Aldo likes this.
  6. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Additionally, pushing everything to mp only will not solve the botting problem. Bots will just be rotating on fixed node sets preventing normal players from getting those nodes. See TESO's botting problem for details.

7. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I didn't say i have evidence of people botting, i just said that private mode allow/eases botting, which is a logical fact, doesn't need evidence.

I wrote there a dozen of different points, please don't focus on the botting one, as i said before private mode allow/eases botting but it's really the last of all problems.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Spinok likes this.
  8. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

No it's not, there is huge difference, so false statement.
    You can still can get experience in private mode, the drop chance and respawn rate can be raised SIGNIFICANTLY in MP and Private, there is very easy to raise numbers of mobs for Devs
    Sure if avatar dont like MMO and would like play privately for most time, why avatar should benefit from MMO features, and not even benefit, but destroy balance of MMO features ?
    Most games where zero resource competition even dont have open market and trade between characters...

P.S. There is common opinion that nobody should deny the play style of others, as MMO guy I`m ok with it(I can't kill the person by the choice, I cant steal loot in private mode, I cant get good loot) I just want same for private guys, again I`m ok with your style of gaming but you deny MMO guys for playing MMO by flooding the market + we cant get good loot in SOTA because everybody can grind 24x7 the private mode, negate this is just not honest its hypocrisy at its finest...
    P.S.S. BTW loot will be significantly higher in private mode as well, the only limitation is no trade for this loot, what is the problem? Its win-win for 95% of Sota population.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Dhanas likes this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

again this is based on what or from what POV? if you say market tehn you are not playing the game to play the game you are playing for personal Gain / Profit.

Every item can be gotten if you apply yourself, even if that means you look for player to help you get items if you clan not solo them.

again there is no problem go play offline you can get all the items you want that are not tradeable and never have to worry about another player, or them selling what you are looking for, for more than you have.

You keep saying the people playing in Multi Player are somehow denied or handicapped, this just is not true. UNLESS you are like me and play a specific style and do not grind for or use the template of the day, sorry.

10. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Check the Antrax comment, you will see. So another false statement. Each of your 2 comments here based on false statements... Ignored you thx.

Weins201 likes this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I am glad he ignored me as he does not want to try and validate his reasoning, or debate it.

he calls my statements and specifically quoted mine as false, and tries to use Antrax post (no idea what specific comment he wants my guess is the bot one) but they do not substantiate his reasoning. by h

Refusing to reply to the point that he is making that he is being denied / handicapped (using his own words) "because he plays in multiplayer" is how he is trying to validate his request to make his desired change.

If you are going to request things, you need to have logical, true support, if all you are going to do is speculate and counter accuse you have no valid request.

Also posted in General and not wish list leave you open to General Discussion.

Aldo, Admiralloyd and Cyin like this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Here is my one and only time I tried open mode while in an adventure area and doing some harvesting (this was when I was first started playing):

Hey look! A cotton plant! Oops, there’s a bandit by it. Let’s take care of the bandit and get the cotton!

Fight bandit.... meanwhile... another player runs straight for the cotton plant and harvested it.

I then clicked private mode, and that’s where I will continue to play.

Barugon, Scanphor, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  13. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

The funny thing is that there is no DEMAND specifically BECAUSE we have a private game mode, because everyone gathers in private mode, because everyone grinds rares and bosses in private and friend-only mode, and then all those resources and rares all shared between all the online modes on public or personal vendors. How do you even imagine to create a working economy and generate an appropriate demand, in a game where resources and bosses and rares are easily available, by just switching to a different game mode... Do I want Private game go away - heck NO. Where am I supposed to then get resources I need for my personal interests :p? The private game mode is like a cheat, that everyone uses, and then they complain that nobody is buying their stuff.. bwahahahaha... sorry, I know.

For what it is, the OPs suggestion actually deals with the issue of market getting over-saturated by the items and resources from the private game mode. It makes sense that nobody likes it, because it would have a chance to balance the game wealth across different pillars and not just sway the balance towards one. Its too late to change everything now though. And I can see the sense now, IF all our stats were wiped for Episode 2 and private game mode would be removed. But I don't support it, I don't want to grind again... it was enough to do it once, and if anything like that would have happened, I don't believe I'd be back grinding... but you never know ;).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Dhanas and Spinok like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is a solution looking for a problem.

15. oplek

oplek Avatar

One thing at a time. I'm still trying to figure out how we can have a working economy when most things cant be lost. You craft a house and it lasts forever... or at least until players, who own the house, quit.

I'll grant this issue only for highly sought after boss-level loot. There's already so many zones, which are empty, that it doesn't matter if you're private mode or not.

16. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Those zones are empty because there is not enough players to show activity at a time when WE are there. Also, we are only guessing here. It's very possible that there may be 10+ people who run through those zones on daily basis. Depending on what T we talking about as well. I understand that developers created several zones of similar difficulty mobs, to provide variety. In regular MMOs, zones are much bigger, so you don't need so many of them.

You just create a one new big one with amazing different vistas and places to explore, plug a few dungeons into geometry, some secret tunnels, etc... The SOTA approach is almost episodic, as if these small isolated zones were supposed to play a role of an area in specific quest episodes, OR they were just created for shear variety. Nothing wrong with that, other than we don't see anyone in them, when we are there. Again, you can't see, if anyone in those zones playing in a private mode. Yes, we are back to a private mode subject. But it's all connected.

17. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Read the link in one of my previous posts for how to make demand for EVERYTHING that is completely independent of the amount of supply as it is infinite, BUT still requires player time investment to actually turn that demand into something useful.

As I said, this one solution, is not the only solution, and my point is this solution creates as many problems as it fixes, just different problems.

Regards
    Spung

18. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I believe it would be the most difficult to change people's perspective on this, because in fact, it is. Then again, SOTA was never meant to be an MMORPG. It's more of a single player game with different online coop modes. SOTA doesn't have several key components of MMORPG - two of the biggest ones are big zones and raids. It's not big enough to get lost in it, and not too small to step on each other's toes, and I believe this is what attracts some people to SOTA, and it did myself. You can play it alone and not bother anyone, or be bothered by others, or you can get together and play the same game with yours friend(s). I personally like this about SOTA. It doesn't bother anyone, it's like a family oriented game, with great community and great features to make the social experience even better. It's like a gaming social experiment...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    calkano (PAX) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.