Discussion bout chris streams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Today's stream showed exactly how painful @Chris 's singing is, he managed to crash the stream while singing.

Jaesun, Mishikal and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

He did... I was there.
    Freddie Mercury reached down from Heaven and said "No." ;)

Jaesun, Mishikal and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  3. MythosTMC

MythosTMC Avatar

Any more info out what Chris said about taming. I thought the Wyvrens and Destroyer were a one life pet? Or was that not implemented?

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

None of the current pets are un-rezable. Future pets, that will be higher tier than what exists now, will be one-life and once they die you will need to go tame another one.

Grimace2 and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

None of the current pets were meant to placed in the higher tier brackets. Things got confusing when they started talking about higher end pets at the same time the wyvens and the new bears came out. The assumption from the players became theses are the higher end pets the are talking about when in fact, I remember them saying it, these were still regular pets.

Elwyn and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  6. jmcclain

jmcclain Avatar

Hmmm. Is this gold ore or gold coin? are we finally getting the pay to win system everyone wants?

K1000 likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Either way, how would that be P2W?

Jaesun and Feeyo like this.
  8. jmcclain

jmcclain Avatar

Some people in this game can make a million gold+ in a week other people have played for years and don't have a million gold therefore making a situation to where if you want to be competitive you need to P2W . If its gold ore is pretty equal as far as time spent to obtain it.

9. oplek

oplek Avatar

My stance on this has changed considerably over time. I now consider "pay to win" to mean anything that isn't 100% strictly cosmetic.

Now, I'll grant that the label is mostly a misnomer, mostly on what it means to "win". To focus too much on the "win" part, I feel like is using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law... and largely missing the point on what's objectionable... improving your situation in the game by throwing money at it.

Purchasing gold improves your situation in the game (in this case, overcoming a gold sink, that people who don't spend more money will have to deal with). So do tax-free properties and commission-free vendors, which give you a financial edge over others. A big part of the game is property ownership (you can't even do dungeons without one)... but you can simply purchase it.... advancing yourself in the game.

That's objectionable to many people, who want a level playing field, that's not going to reflect whether a person is rich in real life.

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I don't see the link between property ownership and doing dungeons... and now property is given away. Is a tax free deed nice? sure. But rents are dirt cheap now, so a taxed property isn't a burden like it was. Plus, anyone can update the deeds they are given to TF w/o ever spending real life $.

Generally P2W is very specific to giving an advantage to people who spend real life $ that can not in any way otherwise be obtained. I think Port has overall done a very good job of avoiding that. If you ever played archeage, that was P2w to the hilt.

11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

this thread is a waste of space it is all over the place.

Is this going to be a run down of what is coverd or a scrablmled pick a topic.

I know the intent was to highlight what is being put out, it has good intentions BUT

Devs sorry but you all need to just get with it put out info, and just do away with the "need" to interpet anything.

Thanks for trying

FruityTooty likes this.
  12. oplek

oplek Avatar

Maybe my definition is too broad, but this is too narrow, as was my point.

You could spend real life $ to purchase a deed, for example, without grinding for many many many hours to earn enough gold to buy enough COTOs, or being a very unlikely lottery winner. There is no other way. If you want to be a property owner without doing all the work... you can just buy into it.

The fact they are *now* giving away *taxed* deeds, is way too little, way too late, and just means that the game is less mindblowingly P2W than it was.

The fact that property taxes dropped by %50 doesn't magically wipe away their P2W-ness... it reduced it by 50%. You don't believe that tax breaks or commission breaks *don't* provide an advantage? Those COTOs become much easier to earn without them.

This is one of the reasons why the game is reviled and avoided, alongside RMT in general. Fallout 76, for about a week, gave a +15 health bonus for parties who were wearing storebought-only costumes, stepping out of their cosmetics-only microtransactions, and the gaming community raked them over the coals for that. This is what you, and your ... definition... are up against.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Gold ore and gold coin are not real money and are not sold by Portalarium for real money or their surrogate crowns.

14. jmcclain

jmcclain Avatar

You can buy gold or crowns for real money right now in the forums. Sure its not port selling but still.

15. jmcclain

jmcclain Avatar

Either way the point is when you hear things like "future proposed gold sink involving a whole new higher tier of crafting." that is never a good thing. Gear is huge and i bet alot of people will feel the need to spend real money to stay competitive. But in the end we know nothing of how this is going to be. So no need for a back and forth over a snarky comment ;)

16. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Wait a second, the Tech Director is not involved in the crafting system? To busy with livestreams? *facepalm*
    Maybe it's time for Chris to catch up on some SotA basics.

Weins201 likes this.
  17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

random interesting bit in today's: even though steam patches are ten times the size of the standalone launcher patches, there is a use case where they're preferred; the tiny standalone patches don't take much time to download but they do take a LOT of disk access to apply and cause a lot of file fragmentation, which are painful things on a spinning drive.

Mishikal likes this.
  18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I can tell you don't play actively.

a) The lottery system ended a while ago
    b) All players are rewarded with a ROW deed when they complete the beginning missions in just *one* of the outskirts zones
    c) All players are rewarded with a VILLAGE deed when they complete the main story arc.

Thus ALL PLAYERS are given TWO FREE deeds just for playing the game. They do not need to buy GOLD or COTOs to become property owners.

Additionally, in the near future, new players will have an option to skip the outskirt zones entirely and they will just automatically be given a FREE row deed. No gold or COTOs required.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Wth... Is this a financial game or something, where the goal of the game is to earn igg ?

As far as most players, IMO gameplay is king, always. I think there are ways that microtransaction models affect gameplay, and I think it also affects SotA in some negative ways, so I'm often a critic. But if you had a super fun, engrossing game and the only issue was that you could buy a lot deed with RMT, I don't think that would matter much. Or at least not any more than the fact that you have to buy Hearthfire to build a home in Skyrim.

But, to me, the complaints about "Having to grind igg to buy a deed" just underscores problems in the game feeling too grindy. If the game feels too grindy, IMO complain about it being too grindy, not about the fact that "rich people don't have to grind." I might dislike microtransaction models, but what I dislike more is when people bring politics into gaming.

Sean Silverfoot and Mishikal like this.
  20. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Today's stream highlighted Chris's frustration with the Unity editor freezing, but some of this might have been due to changes made my OneandOnly...
    Other announcements were that the change in POT devotionals being deco instead of NPC buildings will not be happening. Darkstarr has shot that down as he feels we should have to make a choice when decorating our towns... (personal feelings here is that this only benefits very expensive high end towns and is not a deco item, but a town service option. My guess this is more financially based as town upgrades and POT owners spending on deco is a big money maker for Port. Apparently some viewers also felt it is perfectly fine to shell out another $5k+ to get full use of NPC buildings; since they did it and I should be ashamed I can't. Sadly that kind of thinking is what is driving this game down.)
    The credit toward a house upgrade if you upgrade a deed is still going on until 9 pm CST today. You get 1/3 the upgrade of the deed cost toward a house. You send Chris the difference through in-game mail and he will send you the house you want. If you have one of the bundle houses and would like that upgraded with your lot, you must send the smaller bundle house to get the bigger size from Chris.
    Other discussions on removing mob leashing went on. Chris thinks it might be a nice experiment.
    Again I didn't catch all of this stream... and adding the disclaimer that anything said in the stream as to what might change, is totally up in the air.

Mishikal, Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.