player-run servers for SoTA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodchuck, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

and some of the best online RP'ing fun I've had. Though not sanctioned, they showed just what a determined, creative (all volunteer) team could deliver to their population.

Woodchuck likes this.
  2. Helverian

Helverian Avatar

Sorry but there arent enough player for even one server...

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  3. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

They would be better off selling this game to EA.

4. Gigafunk

Gigafunk Avatar

The magic in a game like this is the living breathing in game markets that create emergent oppourtunities. And the more people participating create more interesting nuance.

People complain medium level crafted items are not worth anything, but if there were tons of new players all the time, a market for that level would emerge.

Player run servers split the population, and the people participating and is a clear harm to the possibility of cool stuff happening when more and more people play on the same server/market.

Elwyn likes this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Player owned shards / player ran servers means one thing. Those who are running them are running them to only make a profit and dilute the main server(s).

I never understood why EA did not sue all of those player ran shards.

Elwyn and Rufus D`Asperdi like this.
  6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Hi Woody! Hey, I believe you own many people here an apology. Without kickstarter this game wouldn't exit and we would not have the pleasure to know you.

7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Fun Fact: The creator of one of those emulators for UO is a LotM here....

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Here's another fun fact.. an emulator was used to design homes for UO. (One actually got put in-game)

9. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

It never ceases to amaze Me, how threads like this seem to draw out of the woodwork, "Some contributors" that have a very low "official" post count, to support threads like this?....
    Have the Reddit crowd been made aware of this post or what?
    So many ex-players seem to be sucking Sour Grapes & want to destroy the current future of Shroud.

Seriously... Player Run Servers, should be an "end of life" option for a game & Shroud still has a long way to go in spreading its Wings...

Maybe sometime in the future @Woodchuck 's concept "may" become a reality, but it is definitely "Too Soon" to contemplate such a venture.
    Give the Game & the Devs a chance...
    If you don't like what Shroud is right now?
    Move On & google the game that sits right for you :)

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

if i offended you i apologize. i didn't know RMT people = kickstarter people

i dunno who to place my hate on right now, either Portalarium for destroying prices on some of the RMT items that i paid a lot for, or the RMT people who sold those items for very high markups.

Why don't you tell me who should i blame?

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Or yourself for making the assumption that Portalarium had any duty to protect or regulate or even consider what prices their digital assets fetch on the Real Money market.

Elwyn likes this.
  12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

i like this game. what i don't like is the constant nerfing of this and that, seemingly at the whim of 1 person or as others have complained a very small select group of individuals that have Portalarium's ear. how about taking more time and care and consideration when releasing something so that you don't need to "oops, we better nerf that" later and disappoint everyone.

also, the constant neglect of things that need fixing in favor of new "features". we know it's not fun to fix bugs and problems, it's not fun or glamorous like introducing new shiny features and systems. the mountain of bugs is not going anywhere. fixing bugs and polishing existing stuff should always come before shiny new toys.

and the few new items with each release is disappointing to say the least. do you think we would not notice re-skinning of items? it's insulting.

has anyone tried to contact support for issues, help? there is basically no support.

etc. etc. etc.

as you can see, it's a stewardship issue right now. it's the incumbent management of this that prompted me to inquire if there was anyone that was also disappointed and is making their own server for this.

maybe i'm not being fair, because all these issues are due to lack of resources (money to hire help).

but then what is being done about it? there's no communication regarding this.

do they plan to hobble over the next <<make your best guess here>> years to make it to Episode 5?

these important issues are never addressed, never talked about, it's the proverbial elephant in the room that nobody wants to acknowledge.

the blatant disregard is frustrating. where's the leadership? where is LB/RG? is he still involved with this game? does he care? has anyone heard from him? has he abandoned SoTA?

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

i knew you would say this.

here is my reply. again, you give a robotic technically correct answer. you are the undisputed master of technically correct answers.

Portalarium is not naive to RMT. Portalarium by not prohibiting it, moreover, by offering an RMT forum channel i had the impression that they are very friendly toward RMT. The web store also offered new player bundles which had items exclusive to those bundles not available by any other means.

I apologize for not reading the f***g fine print. I apologize for not anticipating that one day, these items would be simply sold at a fraction of the price on the store.

Also, I get the sense that these major changes are communicated to a small group of inner circle RMT peeps, yet for the rest of the populace no warning given at all. Their co-ordination and teamwork is fantastic.

Was the situation so dire that these measures be taken?

Did it work? Did it help? How much revenue did these concessions generate? How much longer did it increase the life of SotA?

I would much rather die in dignity and with my integrity intact, than to slowly whittle away in shame.

Weins201 likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Woodchuck

Meh. I don't want things nerfed just because some players complain, but just the same, I don't want to stop the devs from nerfing just because some players don't like the nerfs.

IMO the problem isn't one group, its a more general attitude that the game is like a service that's supposed to cater to you, and give you what you want to get, rather than be a fun gaming environment. When the devs nerf something, it might be a bad decision, but then the players who think its a bad decision have a responsibility to explain why & be constructive about it, and not just say its bad because the game isn't catering to their playstyle anymore. And if, instead, its made about catering to one group of players vs. another group of players, then the whole conversation breaks down and the forums turn toxic.

Anyway, I only played UO on a player-run server and not the official server, but only because I wanted to try UO years after its prime and just wanted to try it out, since I missed it on the first go. If I was around the first time though, I would have done the official server and would have also viewed player-run servers with skepticism.

I'm guessing most people who want a player-run server at this time are upset with some dev decisions and think it could be done better, but I wish those people would just be constructive about this games development. And you know, if if you don't want to do that & help out constructively, there are many other games to play, and you can also start your own, or back someone else in doing so.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

@redfish

you'd miss me too much if i left this game. i wouldn't do that to you

@Rufus D`Asperdi too, would miss me!

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Thank you. That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me in a while.

And I tried to warn you during your massive buying spree... Suggesting perhaps that you might want to slow down a bit... 2 city lot deeds, 4 village lot deeds (were they all tax free?), a Gold Viking village home, a rare, discontinued crafting pavillion... And don't you have a full set of Benefactor/Founder crafting stations too?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Woodchuck likes this.
  18. Katu

Katu Avatar

Because its not that simple. RunUO was completely self made code. No parts of the actual, real copyrighted code was used. That is legal. You are absolutely allowed to copy behaviour of other software, but you are not allowed to copy paste code from someone else source, to your project.
    EULA is not something that can 100% be enforced in court and outside US, its even harder.
    Servers can be ran on coutries, where it is not against the law to do it.
    If it would be easy task, there would be no WoW private servers anymore.

ONTOPIC: With few hundreds of concurrent players, there is no room for private servers. Although, all those backers, who never got in to the game, are potential users of free shards.

Woodchuck likes this.
  19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

@
    Wow @Rufus D`Asperdi. Okay, I didn't go there. You did.

Here are your warnings to me after i purchased the viking bundle that comes with 1 village lot, an extra TF POT village lot and a TF city lot:

[7/11/2018 6:53:51 PM] Rufus D'Asperdi (To Woodchuck): If you want an honest opinion... I think it's a little excessive, and I think you'lre a little insane. ;)
    [7/11/2018 6:54:07 PM] Rufus D'Asperdi (To Woodchuck): In a good way. ;)

Here are your warnings after i told you i purchased a city ship home:

[8/12/2018 12:28:36 PM] [12:28 PM] Rufus D'Asperdi (To Woodchuck): Ah, OK. :) I was figuring you popped for one of the Duke's Water Keeps. ;)
    [8/12/2018 12:29:08 PM] [12:29 PM] Woodchuck (To Rufus D'Asperdi): hehe those are way too big ... it would bankrupt me to decorate something like that lol
    [8/12/2018 12:29:47 PM] [12:29 PM] Rufus D'Asperdi (To Woodchuck): <chuckles> Restraint? From You? Who are you and what have you done with Woodchuck!?!?!

I thank you for all the warnings to slow down my massive buying spree!

I combed through all my chat logs. If you find any more warnings please feel free to post!

20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If the official client was used, that could be a problem. That was copyrighted code that was used. Especially if it had to be modified to connect to private servers. But of course it would only be a problem if EA or whoever cared, even if it said so in a EULA that you could only use it to connect to official servers.

It is also possible that SotA could enforce using the official server with an SSL encrypted connection (which maybe it already does) and verify the crypto certificate of the other side. I'm sure that wasn't something considered when UO was new because people didn't care so much about privacy, and the overhead would have been an issue with CPUs from back then. It would also prevent connection-sniffing bots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.