how do you get ready to PVP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alioth, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

So I am a PVE player but interested a bit in being able to explore some of the PVP zones. I wanted to visit the RP / PVP town of Kahli for the first time, and it took me about 30 minutes to cast off all my stuff that I didn't want to lose, and then to find some gear I didn't mind losing, so that I could be "PVP ready" and not worry if I got ganked and lost my stuff.

All in all, took way too long for me to swap stuff out from PVE to PVP mode.

I am probably doing it wrong - so for any of you who switch back and forth between the two, how do you manage it?

Thanks for any tips.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  2. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Kahli is a no ransom PvP town now. No need to bank your good stuff anymore.

Before that, admittedly, it was a pain. I had decks set up to use different armor and the PvE armor in the bank when not on a hunt. Meant that right before entering a PvP zone I banked my PvE armor and weapon and changed to the decks that used the PvP equipment which I had chosen due to its low ransom cost despite decent stats. This practice sometimes left me naked in the middle of a fight when I forgot to change my equiped and alternative deck to the one using PvP equipment. I also had a backpack full of junk equipables and cheap food which I simply put in my inventory when in a PvP zone for a lower risk of having to ransom my actual armor or weapon.

Speaking of which, please support this request that sadly got very little attention.

3. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Practice with friends.

4. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

That's great! How would I know that? Is there an indicator I missed, or is it just an if-you-know-about-it kind of thing?

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

what if you play this game solo? >_<

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Does that mean there are 2 types of PVP areas?

so "no ransom" areas is for PvP with no risk of losing personal items

and "ransom" areas is for PvP where if you die they will loot you naked?

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Some player owned towns have a [No Ransom] suffix and most all others do not.

Areas that have the [No Ransom] suffix, means you can PvP, but if you die, none of your items will be taken for ransom. Also, the obsidian trials also are no ransom.

The rest of the areas in the game (like say Shardfalls) still have ransom, so if you die, you might lose something.

If you visit Dragomir Mori, Crafters Town, Kahli and others, when you enter them you will see “Player Owned Town [No Ransom]” under the name of the town.

9. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

Bags. Anything not in a bag should be something you are willing to loose.

PvE Bag
    - Gear for pve
    - Precious items/arties that I have/need for pve
    PvP Bag
    - Gear Needed for pvp
    - Precious items/arties that I have/need for pve
    Regs/Resource Bag
    - Everything else
    (Expand to however deep/complex you want to go)

This isn't a perfect way either because if you change between multiple decks with different gear it all gets defaulted to your main inventory, there is still some management needed to balance to play styles. But some find that fun, some times the risk leads to the reward. If you run into someone that has poor inventory management and you get the kill, you could get a nice ransom. The flip side can be the same for you, you might have to pay a nice ransom as well.

With the more bags you have and maintained your inventory is, the switch from PvE to PvP mode is easier by just dropping off or picking up at home/bank

Woodchuck and Alioth like this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It is new that some towns can contact Chris to get them no to be no ransom which is wonderful. I wish we would do no ransom everywhere in this game it is not a good feature for a game like this and we need to give much better reasons to pvp than ransom. Well and to do many other things.

Remescao, CatherineRose and Montaigne like this.
  11. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I don't do PVP often but here is somethings no one told me before I did it:

If you do PVP very much, you should use the 'bag' concept to keep things separated.
    Something I learned 'by accident' was that in PVP areas with loot (Ransom) that you can randomly loose a piece of armor and an inventory item. Or a single 'stack' of items (aka regents, food, etc).

The item is random and not selectable by the opponent.
    So here is what I do.

I put a lot of armor in my inventory that is total junk.
    (usually stuff looted from PVE kills, Lesser Staffs, Shoddy Bows, Rusty armor, Dirty armor etc)
    Choose the things that are light and put a lot of them into your inventory.
    Wear armor you have either gotten as a new player or from the store.
    (It will have a value of ZERO and is not able to be looted)
    Separate your regents, food and other stacks into small separate stacks..
    i.e. 4 stacks of 25 Mandrake, 4 stacks of 25 Nightshade etc.

The last time I did PVP I only lost one piece of armor.
    The only piece of armor I lost was a fire attenuation ring that I had paid 200igg for and I did not pay the ransom to get it back.

I did not know to do this the first time in PVP and I had to ransom a lot of good gear.

I know most will say, that I can't be successful with shoddy armor and weapons.
    Unless you are a very skilled avatar, the great equipment will not make any difference to your survival.
    :D
    Let the flames begin.​

12. Vicious Malice

Vicious Malice Avatar

I would not wear store-bought armor and weapons. You need every edge you can get. If you are David fighting Goliath, at least be equiped with something better than a toothstick.

Have some decent armor and weapons crafted that use not too rare components (no bone armor). You can even get it enchanted and masterworked. Empty your inventory so nothing else is there, and then go to an area with a trusted friend, where ransom is not disabled, duel them (or make sure it is a PvP area) and let them kill you until every piece of your eqipment has dropped as ransom. Note the ransom cost. If it is too high, replace that piece of equipment with something different and try again. You will see that most crafted stuff is relatively cheap to ransom. Playing around with a friend will help you find the sweet spot between "too little protection" and "too high ransom".

Don't bring artifacts. Most of them are ridiculously high to ransom. Bring small stacks of reagents. There is no need to run around with 300+ of each reagent.

The thing about the bag full of junk that others have mentioned above is great. Be sure that there are no things with 0 durability, because they will not go into the ransom. In addition to looted armor and weapons also add a few small stacks of things like lesser potions or worthless food like banana breads.

Good luck.

And looking forward to seeing you in Kahli!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

@Vicious Malice hahaha! banana breads!!

i fills my inventory with nothing buts banana breads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

[​IMG]

14. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

There's the whole buff mania aspect which I don't know much about. All I know is that buffs are also quite important?

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What are the buffs for banana bread?

Woodchuck likes this.
  16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

I suddenly haz banana breads cravings!!!!!!!

who else wanna banana breads!!!

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I guess the buff would be +5 Banana Bread Craving. :)

Boris Mondragon, Jaesun and Woodchuck like this.
  18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

no artificial craving buff necessary!

100% naturals!! :D

19. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I was talking about everyone having stacks of buffs all the time for PVP... that still a thing?

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.