I came back after a month....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stonetrew, Apr 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonetrew

Stonetrew Avatar

Love the changes but it is still the same, as most MMO's are (which is fine I suppose) those that have no life get way far ahead...

When I joined I was under the impression be stronger than anything dropped, not the case unless you spend 10x the time crafting. to be real there is no point in crafting, will probably show me the door, I love the community but the community is so high they won't dont wish to bring me along (may be a bit of me too), but I have played this game way too much, for crafting to not be my strength,,,, I enticed my Girlfriend to join and possibly play. I have tried others but they just don't wish to put that much time into IT.

When you can have people max out in 5 min go gather get artifacts sell them buy anything the crafting is useless unless it is self serving.

Nothing against all ya that have that time.... if there was a way I would say I have well over 1000 hours scince r42 even taking 7 months off..

Just my opinion I hope the game goes great. However my Girlfriend and I dont wish to just mindlessly do ut every hour....... We just wish to play and be somewhat competitive...... the majority of the gamers are upper levels.... and there is no hope for someone starting new to have a niche in the market.

Not that i am leaving.... just my thoughts...... and before you flame my thoughts they are just exactly that my thoughts.

Gia2, Rada Torment, Brink1123 and 7 others like this.
  2. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

I hear you and it's a common lament by some players. The fear of being too far behind to compete is a real thing. I don't think it applies as much as it seems because eventually every player quits or stops playing. In time I'll be one of those players new players hate just through attrition. There are LOTS of us who are not high end but play every other day. I'm not here for the combat alone...it's far down my list. I'm building a dungeon right now to keep it interesting.

But we need a good way to get people of a similar level connected so they can adventure. The looking for a Group feature is a start.

Boris Mondragon and Elwyn like this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

A guy in my guild (adv level 60ish i think) was under the impression he was too low a level to do anything other than grind levels because folks had told him he was. I told him adventure level didnt mean much and to ignroe it and pay attnetion to his skill levels instead, and found that his primary offensive tree is quite high. We then found out that he does the same DPS with a bow that i do (im adv level 101). I taught him how i fight with it and he started hammering out over 300 dmg a hit with his shots at adv level 60ish.

even at lvl 60 he would be a good asset in a boss fight or control points and already has the potential to out-damage some adv level 100 people on end game content. There is still WAY too much emphasis drilled into newbies on adventure level, which apparenlt is distracting them from what REALLY determines what content they can handle, which is their deck build and skill levels. And stats. Str/Dex/int/attunment VERY important but can be obtained with buffs consumables and gear in great quantity

4. lyosha

lyosha Avatar

So this post is just to insult everyone who plays the game? Do you feel better about yourself as a person now?

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Adventure level just means you've gotten a lot of XP. But the way this game works, that generally means you've thrown them into GM-ing a bunch of skills you can't use at the same time. It also don't mean you know how to use them effectively.

Jaesun and Boris Mondragon like this.
  6. Vero

Vero Avatar

This also comes down to how you play the game. One does not need to be very high level to do some harder content. It's more about putting xp into some skills which help you mitigate dmg, heal etc etc. Learning about game Mechanics brings you wayyyyyyyyy further then mindlessly grinding xp. And pushing only a few skills to the higher regions

Also stating higher players have no life does not help into getting people to assist you get better.

You have seen lower level players on groups at spiderqueen, t10 zones, bosses etc etc and that works just fine as long as newer player listen a bit and learn from advice given.

We have some AL80-90 guys in our guild who are getting very smart in the game and are able to run higher tiered content. They asked for help, got help from allot of other players

If you want to learn it helps to ask and run with players who are more then willing to help you. (like most of your guild good sir )

7. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

1) If you want to play solo you should put a big amount of the time to be competitive with high-end solo players.
    2) Much easier to play in a party, the group can be competitive, also good guild usually shares knowledge about the game.
    3) I know a guy who comes in September 2018, now he is 128 lvl.
    4) LFG+Upper Tears give the ability to get levels very fast.

8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I love what Neverwinter did …. Every major scene your char's lvl is changed to the lvl of the mobs in the scene, and if a lot of people enter the same scene where the mobs are lv 30'ish and you enter at level 60, another at lvl 70, another at lvl 40 etc, you are all turned down to that scene or area, and are back to normal lvl as soon you are out of that area or scene ….. so everyone could play that scene no matter what your lvl (as long as you are higher then the mobs in that area).... so you never feel left behind, awesome.... not to mention their scenes are HUGE and load super fast, it has a normal flow feeling to it. I think SoTa could learn from them,.... oh and you still can go to a lv 60 scene at lvl 50 or so, but will be a lot harder for you, having a strong pet helps.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Cordelayne and Boris Mondragon like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, what's the point in developing your character?

Elwyn likes this.
  10. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

To the OP; Hint, stop looking at it as a competition and do what you like whether it’s farming mats, crafting, RP or PVP. Hope I did not miss any SOTA genre and if I did my apologies.

To those who are high level, congrats as you put in the time and effort to reach whatever level makes you happy. BTW I am what is now considered a medium adventure level 117. Would I spend hours in UT? Nope, too monotonous, would I craft stuff to compete, Nope. I can make my own stuff and tip my elite crafter friends to do the MW/Enchanting for me.

I would rather go where I want, write pirate stories and start up big fights on a monthly basis. I don’t think anyone can beat me at that. That is my niche so find yours and you will enjoy the game until something else piques your curiosity.

“Waves to his crew to hoist the anchor as it’s time to stir up a War somewhere.”

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

11. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

to progress further you have to.. for instance you cannot go to a lvl 60 zone below 60 and survive, you could but it would be hard... Your char only goes to the lvl of the scene if you are far above it.... so if you are lvl 70 and you want to do the quests etc ln a lvl 60 scene, your chars lvl drops to the lvl of the mobs in that scene. BUT if you are going to a lvl 60 scene at lvl 59 and below, you remain at your regular lvl since you are not higher then the mobs in that scene .... so you will need to lvl up your char to proceed thru the story line :) YOU only drop to the mobs lvl if you are above it's lvl, so you can still compete and redo the scene if you already out leveled it.... Hope I explained it well, I am not good at that :) But it really works out great …

Cordelayne and Boris Mondragon like this.
  12. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Yeah it's a funny one. I mean I'm different than that, I'm not playing as an MMO in the post-UO sense. I want to immerse myself in single-player then when I'm done with the main quest I like to just... live in the world, man.

And I know I could be making like, 6k an hour maybe(?), but I like to log on, potter around and make stuff to put on the public vendors (only maybe 2 or 3 of them because of traffic issues). I have some great weeks and I have some terrible weeks but at least I know my stuff goes into the loot table for people, that's kinda nice. Knowing they might be out there using my stuff. :) A great week is where I make 5k.

We're so used to the treadmill Blizzard established that this return to the more open ended style can seem broken I guess. But Blizzard's style was so rote. Do X, do Y, do Z, then do Z+, then Z++, then Z+++ and so on... Crafted gear is always inferior so why bother?

Set your own goals man, that's the fun to be had here.

As far as I am concerned, when it comes to crafting, two things leap out at me; traffic... I.e. what happens when your vendor is off the beaten path? UO was better I think because people ran everywhere on the one map, so people were more inclined to discover you. Here (on account of scenes, which I don't mind now the load times are better), the world seems huge which is fantastic but why on earth would I visit a town ages away and go to the upper north-eastern corner of that one particular map to somehow accidentally discover a vendor?

The answer to that is stuff like random treasure maps. Coming Ep. II hopefully. (And other reasons to visit Shitsburg maybe?)

The second thing is, I can't even break even on NPC vendors. Surely making a little bit more profit wouldn't hurt when my public vendor listing flops?

Screws are a bit tight right now but I love the concept. Absolutely. I have legit never played a multi-player game as a merchant before.

13. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I always encourage new players to play the game, not the AL.

Unless you're into PVP, the content of the game narrows as you outgrow the scenes, not broadens.

I think it would be cool if some scenes would scale up (but never down) for player level and number - like using memory fragments in the Lost Vale. That would open things up for players who like a challenge.

Boris Mondragon and Minerva like this.
  14. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I play with Jason and his guild all the time, its not a good session if they haven't had to save me at least once during the night, come join us, when we go out any level is always welcome from complete Newb all the way up.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  15. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

those that have no life get way far ahead...

Good start!! You'll make friends quickly :)

Cordelayne and Minerva like this.
  16. Stonetrew

Stonetrew Avatar

1. Not after friends. After gamers (I only met one gamer in my lifetime in games i PLAYED. From Australia, In UO back in 98.
    2. Work way too much but love to game. However when you have mechanics that attenuate in 5-15 min then go do whatever..... redo and rinse those that can't play or play only 3 hours average night will loose out.
    3. This Forum is is nothing but if you don't see it my way I will flame you. (myself included).
    4. 4) LFG+Upper Tears give the ability to get levels very fast. Ruined the game...... I will with my other half most likely find another avenue....... When if I do I wont be back. It will be something me and my love enjoys..
    5. when I read the reviews back around r42 it stated it was a Niche game..... I believe that to be true.

17. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Perhaps if your guild is leaving you behind and wont take you that you should find another guild :).

That Said Havoc is always welcoming people and taking them on all adventures no matter the level. I have ran both new players and high through lots of content myself. As to crafting you are right its a long haul to get high level, but if you do it as you level you can keep up with your own gear needs. If you need any help or want to look at another guild let me know I would be happy to have you and your Girlfriend join ours

cheers,

Xee

Boris Mondragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.