New Player question

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Rhyiann, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhyiann

Rhyiann Avatar

Hello. I am a new player and enjoying the game very much but I find it hard to keep up in battle. My health bar goes down fast and regeneration seems to be extremely slow. I looked in some guides to find if there is a way to 'rest' after each fight is over-like .. sitting or resting, or if there is another way to do it besides potions. Any recommendation, and a link to shed some light, will be match appreciated. Thank you in advance

Sentinel2, Sonja and Boris Mondragon like this.
  2. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

Hiya Ryiann,
    Firstly,
    feel free to friend me in game if you like. Happy to answer any questions as they pop up if i am in game.
    Secondly,
    Out of the gate, i would suggest you get some health potions on your bar to regain health quickly in a pinch. Also, you will want to get into the habit of "leaving combat stance" immediately after each fight since your health and focus will regenerate much quicker in "peace" mode
    Thirdly,
    Make use of the devotional buffs that you can find in many POT's (player owned towns) Knight's Watch has all eleven and they are max buff status which means you will be get full benefit of them. For myself i almost always use the 1.5 combat health and 1.5 combat focus regen buffs from them.
    Finally,
    Find some good food. you can learn to craft some simple foods that you can eat before each fight that will help your regenerative abilities, as you grow and can afford it you can get fancy foods that have lasting effects (4-8 hours)

PM me if you need directions to get those types of buffs

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  3. skeggy

skeggy Avatar

my advice is you can take 2 food dishes to help regeneration of health and focus also when you are not in combat you recover faster.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Hi @Rhyiann
    In addition to food buffs, find a player owned town with an Honor devotional (1.5 combat focus regen per second) and a Sacrifice devotional (1.5 combat health regen per second). The Honor devotional is also available in the NPC town of Kiln and the Sacrifice devotional is available in the NPC town of Northwood.

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Raise your Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Health and Focus. Get all of these to Level 40 asap.

This will provide you with a very solid base for your character.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I will answer you question - get oout of combat to regenerate the fastest.

Then two devotionals

then food

THEN potions.

Elwyn and Boris Mondragon like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Also the myriad healing spells and the summoned water elemental will heal you.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello and welcome @Rhyiann to the game. As mentioned you need to get in the habit of pressing z to get out of combat to regenerate health and focus. As you walk around the map point at names of towns and see what is in them. Look for devotional shrines. These will give you a buff that is over 9 hours long. You can have 2 of them by just jumping in their waters by using the space bar to jump in.

I'm not sure what type of character you are trying to play but there are buffs and passives that you will want to get to help your character. Some basics are 'fireproof' innate down the fire tree for fire resist. Sadly you have to go down the tree a little to get to it even if you are not planning on fire but a fire is not a bad thing either. I have mine at 80. I raised the innates from each tree except I don't do death since I specialized in life and they are opposing attunements. But that is getting ahead of ourselves.

Also you will find food in the world that gives buffs. Hover over food to see the buff it gives and you can have 2 different foods on at any time. As you raise your focus and intelligence you will have more focus. Items you wear can also give you health, focus, strength, dex, intelligence so watch for these too.

If you would like I am also happy to help in game anytime. I'm Majoria. Add me to your friends list and I'm happy to show you around or answer any questions. Also we do have a looking for group which is alt f. You can create a group or join a group. Our friends list is /f and our emotes list is the o key. Again welcome and it just takes time but you do raise fast in this game and we have no caps so you can train what you like as well as the necessities. This game needs you to have strength, dex, and intelligence unlike some games that you choose.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    nursenoid and Boris Mondragon like this.
  9. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Rhyiann, When I first started it was hard to fight and not die. Part of my problem was my deck, I did not understand at the time how to make a good deck and most of the time spells were not there when I needed them. Also my choice of armor/weapon was not in sync with my play style, Run into danger with no retreat! Many people will help you with some better armor but ask around to see what people recommend for your play style. What is your in game name? I will see what I have that might help.

nursenoid and Boris Mondragon like this.
  10. Rhyiann

Rhyiann Avatar

Thank you all guys. Wow! I have never seen so much responsiveness in a forum. Usually I would find answers by searching guides and little help from forums. Its such a good thing for an mmo when its consisted of friendly and active community. Thanks for your answers!

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Always feel free to ask any questions! As you can see, we are very happy to help.

12. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia!

In addition to 2 (different) foods and 2 virtue devotional blessings, one advice I would give is....

Don't hoard your potions. Their resale value isn't great. Use them to conquer challenges or to ease your way. Regeneration potions are especially useful.

13. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Welcome aboard Rhyiann; tell me what you plan to be (Range/Melee/Mage and it may be easier to help you out. I recommend melee at first for survival and avoiding expensive initial cost of regs. With a decent set of armor and a good weapon you can progress fairly quickly. Find a good guild and there are many here and soon you will be on your way to glory. Boris Mondragon in game. R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

Dhanas likes this.
  14. Rhyiann

Rhyiann Avatar

I have always enjoyed playing mage but if recommendations tells me melee I wouldnt mind . As I understand you begin with a classless character and work your way up the skill tree adjusting it to your play-style. Right now I m walking blindly and I think I have already missed a quest (Find Word of Nena's Charges). I walked out of the gate and the door closed shut behind me. Not sure if I can came back to finish the quest. I am enjoying the story line and hate to miss parts of the gameplay and sidequests.

15. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

You can always go back for the quest later. Many mages use melee skills as well so melee or ranged is always a plus if you decide to be a mage later on. You will also need magery from all schools anyway for attunement to each magic schools not only for resistance to that school but also to be able to cherry pick certain spells that you will find useful.

I am a dual wield swordsman by choice and due to the fact I RP a Pirate. The key is to kill things fast so you level fast. Hit Fast, Hit Hard and Hit Often. I prefer chain mail armor for lower spell fizzle chance.

There is a guide for swords out there put together by my mentor @Sara Dreygon which is exceptional and if you have questions on leveling your character in magery ask @Mac2. I still drive him nuts with questions. Go forth, carve a new path and leave a trail for others to follow. R/Boris/El Pirata

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  16. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I,Lloyd’s add one more idea to the pile, don’t underestimate defensive skills. Even if you are a playing a mage, if the mobs get to you a couple of good defensive skills will help. But also make sure that you can slow them down so they die before they reach you (see the water tree).

Most importantly, all styles of play are viable. Some styles of play might be more viable than others.

Also narrow your focus when you first start out. Go into the skill tree and turn off skills, lots are turn on and having fewer skills active will let you gain str/dev/isn’t faster, or your attack skills, or your defensive skills. Focus on gaining skills in one area, get them to 40 then shift them around until the next set of skills gets to 40. Then the next goals are 60, then 80. If you focus on a set bunch of skills you’ll be a beast.

17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

This. It can become less important afetr you gain certain skills, but when in combat mode, HP/focus regeneration is much slower. So exercise that Z key!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.