Simple Fixes to improve player retention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I meant as a passive skill that gains from gained xp. Othe passives pull from the pool, but this one would not. It would just be on the skill tree so folks stop seperating it from you skill levels which are way more important

Alley Oop and Barugon like this.
  2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I was referencing general movement. Even at "run" speed it's extremely slow and unresponsive. The default run speed should be double at least. If movement was slowed to prevent an exploit, fix the exploit another way. Players interact with the character more than anything. Movement and animations are crucial in an MMO as this is YOUR interface into the virtual world. I know it's not the engine because other Unity games don't have similar issues. This issue is far more noticeable when you take a break from SOTA, play another game and return. Movement in SOTA is miserable!

General transportation is perfect now. Unfortunately it took these DEVs years to FINALLY get it right. I would like multiple bind stones/scrolls and group teleportation but that is being greedy.

The random deck system was one of the original significant complaints in SOTA. Just about anyone who complained about it long ago left. If the locked hotbar with heat system is default now, this has finally been "fixed" thankfully.

Our quest system is slowly being fixed by E2 (Right?) This will help a lot.

What SOTA is lacking is a clear vision. It tries way too hard to deliver everything to everyone and ends up delivering a steaming pile of inconsistencies. Housing and property ownership is wonderful some of the best in the genre but serves no purpose outside naked dance parties. Housing needs to integrate directly with crafting and gathering as I previously discussed. Think Star Wars Galaxies and Archeage.

SOTA can't be a PVP game this is a wasted endeavor in Unity. Crowfall has their hands full trying to deliver performance under Unity, and their development team is vastly better funded and staffed. Keep it niche in an arena environment for people to feel special.

Reality is the course is set and the game will continue to fumble along. Oh how I'd love to be proven wrong.

The SOTA community deserves much better.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Astirian, Cyin, Gorthyn and 2 others like this.
  3. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Seems like they just need to make a few tweaks.

A lot of this is going to be nasty because of how long these things have been complained about + how easy it is to fix them yet for some F^#^ing reason they continue to leave things as they are and try to improve them with neverending forms of BS that leave important things broken to this day.

1. Movement speed - U increase base speed and decrease the speed boost gained from skills to achieve the same cap.
    You don't have ppl moving around like a turtle forced to cast dash every 3 minutes

3. I have spent significant time playing nearly every style of video game there is and this is the worst crap I have ever seen.

After what 4 years now?
    YOU CANT DESIGN GROUP PVE THAT EXISTS IN PRACTICALLY EVERY OTHER GAME OF THIS TYPE,
    YOU CANT DESIGN GROUP PVP THAT EXISTS IN PRACTICALLY EVERY OTHER GAME OF THIS TYPE
    COMBAT IN GENERAL IS THE MOST DYSFUNCTIONAL TRASH I HAVE EVER SEEN

But hey, instead of listening to the people who have been telling you this since before persistence,
    Lets continue ignoring them and try to make our pos system work. It's a great design. Really!

4. People running around in-game with a list of supposedly GRANDMASTER skills that is too long to even fit on the screen. .....what a joke

5. You got 1000s of examples of decent loot in other games plus tons of forum suggestions
    And our loot still sucks..... lol

6. Tons of ways to make lots functional as well as aesthetic

9. Talking about PVP is a joke with our current combat.

10. Or all the other games who have somehow managed to get most of their major systems functioning

11. At least not completely. They usually pick a minor complaint and improve it lol

Unfortunately it's the major complaints that are the real issue :-/

Cordelayne likes this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

The game went F2P and had a large increase (likely several thousand) in players that simply didn't stick around. Any other content or issues beyond those first 20 hours is irrelevant if the goal is to retain newly acquired customers and to stop them from quickly dropping off. So I'd argue if that's the goal, then only some of the items in the OP would apply, as well as some other subsequent suggestions such as quests and everything related to it.

Anything and everything you've done before needs to be re-evaluated. The game, your processes, everything....and be willing to make drastic changes and sacrifices in support of that goal. But hey if "this is fine"...then keep on keeping on.

5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I haven't really thought about run speed only that the dash sound effect sometimes borks. But then again I'm in leather (Ooh!)...

Would love to see housing get implemented into gameplay loops such as NPC tenants etc... (Innkeeper? Barracks? Quartermastery? Shipmaster? Farm Animals?)

Let's assume performance continues to improve...

#1 is quest experience and UI for me.
    #2 would have to be weight and feel of combat. Deeper, more impactful sound effects.
    #3 more environmental sound effects. In some areas it's deathly quiet with the music off.
    #4 visual polish. Guards with swords permadrawn at a 90 degree angle while doing 180s looks pretty bad. On the other hand you have patrolling guards that look great.

It tends to be uneven and I can't help but feel like a lot of the things in scenes were set up manually in Unity rather than through dynamic code.

I dunno, just... More polish.

No question they work hard though imho.

majoria70 and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Gear locking hasn't been around for two years. Not even one year.

[edit] I agree with being able to repair locked gear though.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.