Fix Your Mac Client

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quindorrian, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

After a long time of refusing to play this game, I finally decided to give it a try again... Well, time to uninstall it and shelf it again. Mac client is unplayable. My Mac is a very good, high-end machine and this game constantly crashes no matter what I do with the settings. Hard crashes are a show-stopper for me. I can't even get out of the opening area of the game. After years, you still can't fix your game? No thanks. I have better things to do with my time. :/

2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Try this.

When you run the launcher, click on the gear icon in the top right to open the options, then in the "Launch Arguments" box, put in the following: -force-glcore

Jaesun and majoria70 like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Quindorrian Hopefully the fix that you were told about works for you. We do have a lot of Mac users playing this game. For gaming Apple is a bit slow to the party but I think they will catch up one day. I'm a PC person only but I'm hoping you can join us. Good luck and best wishes.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Did you just update to 10.14.4? Because apparently Apple broke something in the Metal graphics system (again). That's why the "-force_glcore" option is needed, to fall back to OpenGL graphics.

tl;dr: if you haven't yet, don't upgrade to 10.14.4 until people figure out what is going on
    Also, Unity is in charge of the low level graphics, and they're the ones that constantly break things, at least when it's not Apple doing so.

Jaesun, majoria70 and Echondas like this.
  5. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Quindorrian
    I am sorry for your problems. I would be happy to talk to you to see if we can fix this for you. I am an early kick starter and have played this game on my MacBook Pro 2012 laptop since the beginning. Recently I bought a new iMac and both my machines are now running 10.14.4 and each have 16gigs of RAM. The iMac definatly runs the client better due to its better graphics card.

There have been lots of problems with the mac client but several settings can help. ry them all and see if they help.
    1. The -force-glcore has made a big difference recently.
    2. Set all graphics to the Fastest Quality Level as a test and if it runs you can increase some settings a little at a time.
    3. Even with the Fastest Lever setting my MacBook Pro still have texture problems because of its built-in Intel Graphic Chip. Patterns like walls. signs, even my characters hair will look like a cork screw in motion. (The Built-in Intel chip is not a supported item in the FAQ).
    4. Double clicking to interact rarely works. Use the "E" key to interact with doors, chest, and other things.
    5. Opening containers is a long wait you just have to wait for it.

If all this fails PM me and we can talk about other things to try. My In Game name is same as here Warrior B'Patrick. Good Luck.

Sean Silverfoot and majoria70 like this.
  6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

This is usually the result of a low frame rate, as the event loop (probably in Unity code that Portalarium has no access to change) only checks for input once per frame. The time it takes to render one frame becomes shorter than the double-click threshold, making it impossible to detect a double-click. In my experience a couple of years ago, this happenes at about 10fps, but the fps meter is inaccurate at low speeds, and no longer reports slower than 10fps. (it used to go down to 3fps)

7. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Elwyn
    You are correct, it is a timing issue which is why sometimes it works or responds seconds latter. It can be helped with lower graphics setting like Fastest Level but if it is slow enough to not work at all it could be the mac or the network speed. To checks speed use www.speedtest.net. I run the game in Baku on a 8mbps ADSL and it runs fine at fastest Level. Apple also likes lots of background update settings that you never know are running, I should know, I was an apple support technician. Creating a game user or even another partition on the hard drive and only installing system and Port Mac Client could also help but that gets into a much deeper conversation.

If anyone is needs help with Mac problems please feel free to PM me. I will do what I can. Do read the FAQ for Supported and Recommended equipment list first.

Mac OS X
    Minimum:
    • Processor: Quad Core 2.4 GHz or faster
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 11 Compatible NVIDIA 960 / AMD 560
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection (Not required for Offline Mode) *No mention of on-board Graphic chips
    • Hard Drive: 22 GB available space
    Recommended:
    • Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
    • Memory: 12 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 11 Compatible NVIDIA GTX 1070 / ATI Radeon HD 5870
    • Hard Drive: SSD

Also if you know how to change these settings on your router they also help. Unfortunately I can not change my routers config so I run the client without these open but again it runs fine for me in this country.

Besides the system specification to run the game, the following firewall ports must be open for the Launcher and Game Client to run properly.

Launcher:
    • TCP 5074
    • UDP 3544
    • UDP 6881
    Game Service:
    • UDP 5054
    • UDP 5055
    • UDP 5056
    • UDP 5057
    • UDP 5058
    • UDP 5059

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So we never heard back from the OP. I am curious if he/she gave up or was able to fix their problem hmmm. Hopefully all is well but still no answer regarding it and I'm not seeing any activity on the forums since this was posted.

9. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

@Elwyn, do you know if Apple fixed this yet? I am holding back on updating to 10.14.4 but would like to go ahead..

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I don't have a Mac on which I can play SotA. They haven't made hardware that I've been willing to buy for quite a few years now, and what I have won't even run 10.14. It's hard to get a SotA-tier GPU without soldered RAM or glued batteries and screens.

11. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

hehe I am not a mac fan my solutions involves 2 stories and a payment for a gaming rig. That said I do have friend that plays on a MAC, and just like the Linux client it sometimes has issues but usually corrects itself down the road. If I was a developer I would probably have focused on a single client/platform as is hard to maintain cross platform and give the size of the team that is alot of extra work they make for themselves.

No realistically I am very happy that we have these other people on platforms here, as it does open up the game to more audiences.

Alley Oop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.