POT Contest - Please tell the news outlets!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It will be soon they said. So hang on a little while.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I know hits has been up a while and I have replied once but I have to ask

What places of "news" does anyone think this would be good in?

I am vary sorry to say this but SOtA and Port have a negative ,if not totally toxic, reputation on almost every forum I have even looked into or heard about?

So how is advertising like this going to succeed? As son as it is posted there will be an influx of replies that just condemn the game and Port, and ,sorry, but they are not always wrong.

Looks it is simple new players that show up are met by US, the community. We are the only ones keeping this boat afloat. It has stopped moving and is slowly getting lower in the water but. A new player comes in and is greeted by any of many players taken around given help, . . . . and after a month they are just doing it over and over and start questioning what is going on?

Dungeon are not going to save us, especially if they progress like every other thing they have tried. Almost all are left unfinished and dysfunctional.

That is the game and company that is out there and it is not changing? Soo how do you advertise a failing game and dysfunctional company?

I know a lot of people here do not see this, and even more who have do not come here anymore BUT, I AM NOT OFF THE MARK.

Cordelayne likes this.
  3. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

Someone aid in global chat that this has already started. How much gold is it to enter? Where can I find out? No one is game chat knew exact gold amt. I might enter, but do not know how it works.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Someone already posted what we know at this time earlier in the thread. More details coming soon according to Chris Spears. but here is what was posted earlier in this thread and yes some have started placing their deeds to get in the contest. Chris is Atos in the game. So read below and you should have an idea where to start and watch for the official announcement that is said to be coming soon.

think Chris said it multiple times during the stream (I think at least 4 times) that there will be an official announcement after DS has reviewed his draft on monday.
    He also mentioned that he just starts to let people claim lots because he has been asked by a lot of avatars who heard him mentioning the upcoming decoration contest during his prior streams.
    No one knows what the rules will be but a lot of avatars simply wanted to start to decorate and I do not think if you have most likely 3 weeks to decorate additionally 2 days will make a difference.
    If you do not like to do a blind bargain simply wait a little and read the announcement before you decide as there is always room for more lots even if they need to create a second, third or fourth PoT to let everyone interested participate.

The only info about the contest I remember are these:
    - send 100000 gold, 1000 cotos or 1000 bits to Chris if you would like to participate and Chris will place a marker and reserve it on your name
    - if the current event PoT is filled to the brim Chris will create additional PoTs
    - you will have likely 3 weeks to decorate the lot
    - during the last week you will most likely not be able to use the magic mover
    - there will be different categories like the “best dance floor”
    - Chris will present every lot by flying in ghost mode 2-3 minutes around and inside and then there will be some kind of tool to measure the viewers liking
    - there might be a possibility to join the live stream and say some words about your lot while ghost-Chris is flying around

Hillt likes this.
  5. oplek

oplek Avatar

Here's my prediction. Chris came up with the contest without consulting Starr, and now Starr is in "wtf mode". If there is an announcement, it'll be trickled out into a 12-hour stream.

(parts of this may be sarcastic and/or hyperbolic)

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

and again this thread just keeps showing how bad they actually are as a dev team.

NO ONE SHOULD BE STARTEED YET , IT IS A TIMED EVENT (3 WEEKS).

2 DAYS IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE. EVERY LOT SHOULD BE THE EXACT SAME IN SIZE, AND LOCATION, NO TREES / ROGKS / ANYTHING SHOULD BE DIFF ON ANY OF THE LOTS.

STARTING EARLY DOES MATTER, ESP SINCE SOME STILL HAVE ZERO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON

PISSS POOR, but exactly how thy are handling everything.

Cyin and Cordelayne like this.
  7. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Lol... remember the video contest where they simply missed the fact that I created 70+ videos. Then at some point they gave me an ONBE that they never sent. So yes, I can very easily see how they are messing this up. Port, the pooch is already screwed here, cut your losses...

1. Cancel this event
    2. Replan this event
    3. Relaunch this event

First rule of holes is to stop digging...

Humbert_Humbert, Cyin, Sarek and 5 others like this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Players judging = bad idea.

Get some outside judges who don't know any of us. Get Streamers from a community that will interest their viewers. The Sims streamers for instance. This is deco after all. Or have MJ from Massively judge it. Or a real home decorator, one who has a show or youtube videos or live streams their work.

Mhtic and Weins201 like this.
  9. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

Wait, they have started already? Do I mail my gold to this Chris person? Can I pick any size lot and place it anywhere in that town? I'm confused. If it is a timed event how and when do I get to start?
    What are the categories? Can I make it any theme I want?
    Someone please help me figure this out. I did fishing contests that was fun and had rules. I can't find the rules on this post or in forums. It's 1pm here EST and I go to work soon and can't play again until 3 days from now. So I will lose time to place a house decorate. People in game chat said rules were going to be out this morning.

Weins201 likes this.
  10. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Sometimes things happen, like such things:
    - only for a few weeks I missed the possibility to pledge with Royal Founder :( I got the information a few weeks too late about SotA ...
    - I got the Alien Pledge - and by misunderstanding I didn't use it! So I missed the $20 gift - and it's still in my account page - without any possibility to use it anyway :(
    - I couldn't take part to the quest about Shooter Jennings (awful! Me, who did every quest since beginning a few times!) because at that time I hadn't a chance to play :(
    - I am bug reporting for years - and I still don't have all bug hunting rewards :(
    - I never won in a lot deed raffle - hundred thousands of gold lost! :(

And ... ? I am still alive! :)

So, yes, there are always possibilities to feel sad ...
    Isn't that, what Murphy's law tells us? ;)

Like in real life, I always try to have this kind of view:
    to be happy for/with others :)

About the latest Stream:
    I came there by accident (like most times) while playing and saw Chris in his POT and I just thought:
    Oh, great, living in the town of Chris - he sells places!
    And I teleported there to receive a place - not aware of the contest ...
    I heard it later and thought: oh, nice idea!

Well, understandable people feel a kind of sad, like me in those cases I told above.
    So - what could the rules be to grant a 'fair play'?
    - All information should be placed on forum (announcements) first?
    - In this special case: should owners of POT's should have possibility to take part?
    Someone could cry out: "They have decorated so much! They have advantages!"
    If we try to exclude people who gave so much into this game - is this fair?

And: should the streamtime of Chris also be announced in forum?
    I think, Chris likes to do things flexible - and he wants to do special things when he has an idea to do so to get players interested ... ;)
    And may be sometimes some people don't like it ...
    Sometimes the well intentioned leads to the opposite ... unfortunately ...

Besides:
    I don't know how many places are in his POT still available - it is huge ;)
    And if someone really likes to take part:
    to have 2 or 3 days more or less for decoration shouldn't be important ...
    Do you really think, you can't have fun, because others started one or two days earlier?

That's like the whole discussion: "A new player can't compete with players at lvl 100!" (Of course they can't! That's a logical fact.)
    May be we are thinking too much about what others can do instead of what we can do ...

Does anybody think, others are doing deco stuff from day one 8 hours a day? I don't think so ...
    How will you manage it, that people only have 4 hours, others 10 and some 20 hours available? We can't!
    And it means not, people who invest 40 hours will win ;)

... this is about to have fun ...

P.S.: @Chris, calling my so nicy squirrel a "chicken" is not fair - he is as good as any dog - and even faster ;)
    And to be clear at that point: I also like dogs :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Hillt, Mhtic and Cordelayne like this.
  11. Thxforthememories

Thxforthememories Avatar

Yes to steps 1 through 3 above.

I remember when Chris ran a contest to win one of the first cloth maps, signed by the whole dev team, and you had to either spend a significant amount of money to win or make a purchase to win randomly which he promised to send out "shortly" after the livestream.

He then neglected it (as did support emails) for over six months and then sent a random map with only LB's signature on it, and failed to ever respond or correct the failure. It only cost my husband and I a fair chunk of money to learn how well Chris and Port plan and (fail to) follow through on contests. Long story short, Chris may not mean to cause problems, but Port needs a professional back handling contests and events. Or again, don't ever show this stuff to any potential player, and hope you don't fubar it so badly it costs you previously very loyal players (like us).

On the plus side, you now have a no purchase necessary option to livestreams now due to past haphazard actions - because it is the law.

Weins201 and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Yolo SoLive

Yolo SoLive Avatar

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this. was there an official announcement on the main web site or here in the forums? I am not able to make all the streams- and something as big as this I would like to see an official post similar to posts about the patches.
    I understand there was mention in the streams, but can we get official rules posted instead of I heard this here or there?

did I miss the official post? Anyone have a link?

not trying to be a grumpy gus- it is exciting- but because real life calls I don’t always have time to watch and rewind on the streams. Help a girl out....

Cordelayne and Weins201 like this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

only iffff . . . . ..

14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

15. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

"Players have until Sunday, April the 27th at midnight to enter."
    Isn't the 27th a Saturday?

Edit: What time on the 4th does the judging start?

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

The announcement is on the forums now. Not sure where else yet since I haven't checked.

Hillt likes this.
  17. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

18. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

For some reason it won't let me post over there. Perhaps I'm too new?
    But does anyone else see the issue with the date he listed?
    "Players have until Sunday, April the 27th at midnight to enter."

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Wow this thread has accumulated a huge amount of bullshit.

Barugon likes this.
  20. Lained

Lained Avatar

Poor sentence structure, he's not saying Sunday is the 27th but the deadline is Sunday, explicitly at midnight on Saturday the 27th.

Hillt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.