Do you like the current crafting system ? ( Vote)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Apr 16, 2019.

?

Do you like the current crafting system ?

1. Yes

15.0%
  2. No

42.1%
  3. Yes and No

42.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Feel free to leave comments with what you like or dont like .

the Lacedaemonian and FrostII like this.
  2. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

I love the fact that the best gear is (still mostly) crafted but the current system has serious issues (the huge rng element making most of what you make trash being the big one of course)

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

My issues with it come down to:
    • RNG or difficulty in obtaining recipes
    • RNG in enchanting/MW
    • The nullification of good loot tables

StarLord and Hillt like this.
  4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

UI needs an update.

At some point the devs are going to cave and make non-crafted loot better than anything crafted. I just have a feeling.

Hillt likes this.
  5. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

I should be able to enhance my sword with the blood of Atos or the skull of Darkstarr. Not only does it take a lot of mats, it isn't possible. It is out of balance with everything else. Producer xp is hard to get compared to adventurer xp. It's all wonky. The super secret Chris RnG math is very random and not in line with other systems. I know Chris has nothing to do with crafting but his RNG does!

Time Lord and Feeyo like this.
  6. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Yes and No
    FYI, I craft deco and costume, not weaponry and armor.
    From the beginning, the devs have zigged where I thought they should have zagged. Patterns, dyeing, rudimentary raw materials and components...I won't go on.
    The basic system is still capable of delivering on some of my desires. I remain hopeful.

7. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

I really hope you're wrong about that.

I answered Yes / No, and I'm probably split 80/20 on the Yes/No ratio. Overall it feels like a pretty good system, and I enjoy the complexity. Most of my gripes are about specific things that I feel should be there but aren't.

- My favorite aspect of the game is that player crafted gear is mostly tops. I think it should be best in slot for everything. Hopefully their upper tier crafting rework will address that more.
    - I like the rarity of recipes. Feels good to finally get a hold of a missing piece, even if it can be frustrating at times.
    - Back slot enchants / MW was added while I was away from game, and I love that they added this.
    - They continue to add new recipes in the year I've played, at least semi-regularly. Hope this continues.

Love/Hate:
    - The grind for crafting XP. Type 2 fun, for sure. Feels way more meaningful than adventuring XP since it's so much harder to come by.

Dislikes:
    - You can't rename gear. As it stands, it's nigh impossible to tell what you sold as a crafter (ie, they're all "hard maple bow +9" etc, no way to distinguish further and develop a line of gear).
    - No craftable belt items (how is this not a thing?). Give me reagent / potion pouches at least.
    - No gem socket enchantments for bows (why was this not included in the initial build? I still have not heard a good answer on why this decision was made).
    - Quantities of materials needed for crafting. It kind of feels ridiculous to have to cut down ~6 trees to make one bow.
    - Only a couple of the crafting tools are craftable (cleaver and cooking pot), they should all be craftable.
    - No gold / silver scraps, though it clearly looks like it should be in game. Hopefully someday? Feels pretty unfinished the way it is.

8. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

NPC buy prices need to be higher so we can populate the loot tables more.

Also, I love that the crafting table UI windows remember where they live, same can't be said for the crafting book. Grr.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  9. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

The main problem with the reward cycle is that crafted gear can cost you a fortune but net you a marginal gain over your previous gear. Nothing exciting drops from the hardest mobs. Artifacts are a pointless mechanism. There are no ultra rare items that are worth hunting for. Crafters being the end-all of items is silly. There should absolutely be some things that are insanely rare but also immediately better than the best crafted gear. Such items should be called Artifacts.

The artifacts we have were designed by a person with a shite sense of humor. A nihilist. Definitely not designed by someone who knows what fun is.

Create one-off items that are named and 10% better than a +15 item crafted. Make them always exceptional. But make them drop only once ever. There can be such items for each slot and then again for each melee type, armor type, and mage weapons to include a staff and a wand.

All you have to do is create one of each uber Artifact, assign it enough value to be attractive and useful AS IS, and that's it.

The Staff of Death was useless. The Crossbow of Accuracy was useless. There haven't been armor artifacts. What about universal armor-type helms that look COOL and are powerful. The cabalist hoods are too common now.

Let's be creative. Let's pretend we want this game to survive.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Rada Torment and Boris Mondragon like this.
  10. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I voted yes. Overall the system is a yes. There very specific things in certain recipes that need changing, but leaving this at a high level

Non gear crafting is fine.
    Material component mechanism is great.
    Tier 2 costing significantly more mats than tier 1 for a significant benefit.
    Tier 3 components as drops. This should be expanded.
    Crafted gear generally being comparable or better than loot.

Needs improvement

Non final product recipes, Eg refining and components, should take less player active time. It is boring gameplay for the hours you have do it.
    Don't mind RNG but want more certainly of MAX cost to making something specific. Give way to convert X number of failures into what you want.
    No way for low level master workers or enchanters to level up without making something no-one wants.

Regards
    Spung

11. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I like it in the main, my only real issue is RNG is a bit too much and some of the material costs for selling don't make sense and some of the tier 2 material recipies don't make much sense either. Poles requiring twice as much wood as a board for example just puts furniture costs for a basic table or chair through the roof. You can sell a bolt of cloth for less than the spools of cotton for less than raw cotton that they take to make.

Just needs a bit of common sense tidying up.

Jaesun and Alioth like this.
  12. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Aye, the devs might. However I suspect Lord British is a bit more rigid on the subject--I'm with him :)

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Solution: Live alone & Netflix. Craft, watch, repeat, hehe.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well all in all I am used to the crafting system we do have. Many things I don't agree with are there such as basic recipes got put out into the loot table. Imo this was a short cut to providing better and new loot like ok lets give them something they just must have and at the same time something they get to grind for. A lot of anger came from this for sure.

Now what we needed imo again of course is to make those recipes and any recipes discovered while progressing through crafting. Like its says tada with a nice little ding sound or something 'you have discovered a new recipe'. So reason to craft is there and a reward is there and recipes are there where it belongs. Many crafters do not necessarily want to grind for anything let alone their necessary crafting recipes. So imo this was a bad move and frustrating a lot of players at the same time yes so thus a bad move. Now not to say that special recipes couldn't have been created to be found but not your basic recipes that make your gear and weapons. Definitely not those.

During the big feedback days before crafting was brought into the game many players spoke up for systems they would like to see in the game. None of those systems are exactly like this one. No Vanguard Saga of Hero's crafting and quests for crafters that did not involve much fighting at all but sometimes traveling the world from town to town to complete them. Your character experienced some fun some irritating crafting experiences like being injured while crafting and having to be prepared for crafting. I loved the system and yes at times I did not but when you were crafting you were not watching netflix. Also is the case with Everquest 2's crafting. When crafting you are crafting not button mashing well in a different way since you have choices to make.

So since we do have the system we do have what can be done to make it better imo:

1) so as mentioned bring the basic recipes needed back into the crafting genre and not in the combat genre and make them discover-able with crafting and some even with crafting quests that don't involve combat that much but in town crafting quests

2)I agree with @Alioth we need to finally get belts. It was always said we would get belts well in early days, but due to visuals and the way the clothing sims works it was easier to not to have to display belts. Well then don't display them but let us have them. A note could say belts won't be displayed on your character.

3)Add abilities that we learn as we go along. Let us discover not grind for. One problem I see during our progression is that we suddenly know how to do everything. While we are now used to knowing how to do everything immediately even while it is low level and failure happens. Imo opinion it is not as satisfying and since it is fast to raise we don't get to appreciate the experience of learning new tools and being rewarded with those. Like hearing the small 'ding' you have learned a new process. We could however expand the crafting system with new features and do this with the upcoming Episode 2 things that will be added like along with specializing in a craft we then have this to raise our specialization. Such as you get New tools and new experience once you are specialized.

4)Have only cfating things show in the craft window. Fuels in its own place and materials and gear. Tabs could even be there for selections on what you going to do like masterwork tab, salvage tab, enhancing tab, socketing tab that filters out the noise of our over run inventories

5)Crafting window is just huge and we can't resize it. Please let us resize. I agree it could be redone too to include some actions we can take. Things for example as these type of things and even research ability would be fun:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ok that's a beginning. I will add more as I think of it.

15. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

@majoria70 I loved the whole Vanguard crafting. Mixture of crafting quests, an interactive crafting process and the ability to make bespoke sets of gear. Best I've ever seen in an mmo

majoria70 likes this.
  16. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

Imho Randomness + Clunky UI destroy Fun and Meta-wise ways of play.
    I'd mantain the RNG formula in the quality determination of the base item per se, but would like to chose intentionally the masterwork and the enchant (both in the type and in the amount/value).

Would add also that item durability loss is too fast and represents a costant fear/limitation in my personal way of playing. Don't know if anyone else feel the same about it

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well we don't lose the item for a few scraps anymore now that was fear imo. So big improvement to lose that feature.

Jaesun likes this.
  18. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

My thoughts in pills:

-I would love if there were special/rare scrolls for re-rolling enchantments, masterworks, gems with a chance of failure and breaking the item.

-I would really like to see an evolution of the gem system in game, adding new ones with different effects like pve/pvp specific bonuses against players/monsters or specific stats boost like crit chance, weapon damage etc.

-I hate the fact that items don't break anymore with failure, I'd much prefer that players could choose the specific masterwork or enchantment to try but with a chance to fail and if this failed the item would break with a chance of getting back some of the spent materials.

-The salvaging system for crafted items needs to be polished, the chance to get back some materials is really low and selling items to NPCs it's really not profitable at all compared to the money spent.

-I hope that with the introduction of crafting specializations the chance to break the item will be restored, less rng, more risk, better result.

-There is a need for more good modular artifacts like the warlock chain and xen bow, perhaps using the combination of useless artifacts already in game.

-I would love to see a daily crafting quest system added in game.

Feldon Grimshaw and Dhanas like this.
  19. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Yes and no gives people the opportunity to say pretty much nothing. I voted yes, but I do have some gripes, but felt yes and no didn't give a fair indication of my general approval of the underlying mechanics. I imagine there is a very large number of 'generally I like it with some reservations' in that 'yes and no' as well as the reverse.

20. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

The time sink. The massive, massive waste of time in refining materials. That ruins crafting for me. Batch processing is unavailable for so many processes.

That's what prevents me from crafting more. It's a serious deterrant for me.

Gold sink I can understand. I can enjoy making more money.

Complex processes don't bother me much.

RNG isn't such a big deal for me.

But time - wasting time doing a meaningless repetitive task is bizarre and unacceptable. Why would anyone enjoy that? Why would they then impose it upon everyone? :oops:

Feldon Grimshaw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.