Ways (means) of communication or Lacking are starting to become a detriment to player base, Streams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

https://steamcharts.com/app/326160

The only hard number we can get is the steam users. Take into account the spike a few months ago (November 2018) is when we went free to play. August 2016 we went persistant.

Weins201 and Spinok like this.
  2. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Didn't look at this for a long time. 115 average players... almost 3 years minimum... I don't have words :(:(:(

amarious, Weins201 and Brass Knuckles like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I have never posted and hardly every look at other threads or forums about this game.

My opinion is all from experiences, what I see, and reactions all over in the game and here.

I hear nothing but Bad things are said on every other forum but here.

Steam can give numbers as shown, and they do not look good either. Their posts are also mostly negative :-(

All I am trying to do is get thru to the dev team and have them take a breath of fresh air instead of the stagnant poop they have been breathing in lately.

I still play, I still find some "enjoyment", but it is hard to tell people all is good and getting better.

Try and telling a player to listen to a live stream every day to get a feel what is going on and not being able to point them to a page that might show progress is fruitless.

A written word goes 1000 miles in this matter. 10 seconds on a feed is nothing.

i.e. the recent housing contest - announced on the live feed, zero real explanation, STARTED before there was any kind of official posting. That makes it look like total armature hour. That is looking from the inside, imagine what it looks like from the outside.

TY for showing me this link with numbers.

4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Aside from the click-baity title and an opening line about player population that totally derails the topic and aim of your thread about methods of communicating to players... I agree.

I agree that streams are a very poor and ineffective method of disseminating information to the backers. I know we have over 100 players tuning into streams at any given time and that devs prefer a stream of conciousness approach on livestreams and perhaps that is "backer engagement" but I can't watch every stream for hours. When it was once a month I made time, every time, but when it's every week or every day or odd times of the day and this is the most popular method and the first method for transmitting information I find it frustrating. You ask questions but no idea if they've been asked before or if they were answered in the few minutes before or after you tuned in or walked away for a moment.

Streams are a nice way of backer engagement and probably correlate with players making purchases and funding development, but they are not engaging players who use the website and forums who can't watch 10+ hours a week of videos.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I hate to say this but I wish we could help write that email. It needs to highlight the additions, and changes etc. Many barriers were taken down, mail system, looking for group, teleport to zone, ability to bypass sieges, decay removal, destruction of crafted items removed and now loss of durability, universe chat which is a global chat.

These are things people left for. We need to tell them things. Not everything people complained is done but I believe the importance of addressing those complaints has hit home.

Please @DarkStarr let us help to get the word out when you do that email. We can provide feedback if even on a pm with you. There was a great thread players were talking about this and listing things that would be perfect to put in that email.

Edited

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Sentinel2 likes this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I like the game also and I do like the streams though I wished he played some with each build etc. there is a huge disconnect with the actual game and their perceptions of the game. In fact I put in 20-30 hours a week in since early 2014 one can say I am a fan of the title.

The steam trend can only be used to show a trend. The biggest staggering number to come out of that the F2P bump was almost non exsisting and vaporated immediately. The other staggering data is currently is the lowest pop since the game launched in 2016 on steam.

amarious and Stryker Sparhawk like this.
  7. Lained

Lained Avatar

Or they switched to the SotA launcher after a couple of patches. *shurgs*

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I will adjust TY

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

As for this "Email" if it being sent t0 player who have already played and have left there is nothing they can say that will really work, as a result of them coming back in and seeing what state the game is still in and how the future is actually dim not bright will just make them leave and never ever come back.

Sure there have been some improvements and sure Mail in game is nice, but removing regions thow good intentions actually reversed concept.

All the steps forward have resulted in 2 backwards and sideways.

so trying to plead with them to come back and see "what has changed" I fear will result in just more negative and harsher departures.

Lipsitck on a pig so to speak will be easily see thru.

What they need is assurance thru productivity that will keep those of use here, here AND paying to support the game.

10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea ur right I’m sure the true in game population is in the millions :). Kidding I’m just looking at the trend numbers if what you said is the case then that data is reflected in all the previous months as well and we still have a viable trend.

Other supporting data could be the monthly revenue I’d say friends lost but xee has a friends list explosion going on that disputes that data. Last three months on steam show a down turn that mirrors the revenue data -not scientific I know.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok case in point they are working on 65QA, there are ALOT of things that are not complete or broken, yet when I switched over to the Main page to see what happened to server since I got disconnected two times and QA up so checking to update and there is Chris. Streaming about looking at houses being done for the contest.

THAT SHOULD NOT BE ANYWHERE ON A TO DO LIST. THE ONLY TIME HE SHOULD BE THERE IS TO OPEN LOTS AND POSSIBLY SHOW HOUSES FOR VOTING.

Complete waste of time and resources.

S O R R Y to those who think this is good but . . . . .

Cordelayne, FruityTooty and Rentha like this.
  12. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

@Weins201 You should start a game company. You have all the answers. Seriously! Eat you later.

13. oplek

oplek Avatar

We're too busy trying to fix this one up. Thanks.

Cordelayne and Weins201 like this.
  14. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Oh! Is that what you are doing? We all appreciate it. Thanks!

Jaesun and Weins201 like this.
  15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Any chance you are handing out $12 million start up funds to make that happen? I'll take one too.

MrBlight likes this.
  16. Lained

Lained Avatar

Once again Chris streaming is done after his regular work day I think he mentioned yesterday he had already done ten hours before starting. How about when you get home tonight instead of having dinner, relaxing or spending your time doing whatever you feel like you go back to work because someone on the internet used all caps.

Jaesun, Scanphor, jschoice and 2 others like this.
  17. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I spend my time after work playing sota. AND eating dinner while I play it.

Isn't that normal?

:)

Jaesun, Lained and Kaffien like this.
  18. oplek

oplek Avatar

This actually makes it worse. If they had re-allocated work hours from using their central primary communication, to streaming, there'd at least be a reason behind it. In this case, the allocated work hours for communication were straight-up dropped with a switched reliance on voluntary "free", wildly inefficient, extracurricular efforts.

This indicates problems with time management, and poor operations-level decisions. The fact he put in a few extra hours after 10 "in-office" hours, is not applause-worthy. It's not an indicator that good things are happening. He shouldn't be working himself to death.

That $5k/mo they supposedly have for marketing... they should be hiring someone, at least part-time, to focus on that, and communication back and forth with the community and their questions. Failing to do this is shooting themselves in the foot about as much as if they axed the CS position. Let Chris do his streaming thing, without it being an off-hours load-bearing wall, for us having a clear vision from them.

19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

This is not accurate, unless his workday ends at 2:00 PM CDT.

I know this because I am at work when I receive the emails from Twitch alerting me to the livestream and it's always around 2:00/2:30 PM CDT.

Weins201 likes this.
  20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

considering he often starts around four or five in the morning...

Jaesun and Lained like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.