The Imbalance of Dark Unicorn Poison with the Archer Class

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by sappersteel76, Apr 21, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sappersteel76

sappersteel76 Avatar

So, as many of you have discovered the Archer class has seen a rise in utility and popularity, and it has been a long time coming. I myself began the game as an Archer as I have in other games. With the advent of the Xen bow and other items it has breathed new life in to this forgotten build.
    However, another item has given to this build "god-like" power. It is Dark Unicorn Poison (DUP). You may ask yourself, "How could a poison that is available for use by every class, tip the scales so much?". For those of you who maybe unaware the DUP strips another player's buffs one shot at a time, coupled with the range an archer gets plus the ability to hit multiple targets(Multishot) or hit a single target multiple times(Rapid Fire) leaves most other classes effectively neutered. This is especially potent against mages, who rely heavily on buffs to be competitive, considering how long it takes to reapply buffs.
    As a result of this egregious imbalance, PVP has become a bit of a one sided event. Whichever side has the most Archers with DUP will win more often than not. Some may argue that the player skill coupled with good equipment i.e. the Xen bow and Spider Silk Belt makes the class formidable, however time and time again the DUP is the catalyst that takes an average player to Over Powered. Many of us have endured this imbalance hoping the Devs would take notice and take appropriate action.
    Now I'm not saying DUP must be completely removed from the game but, it definitely needs to be reworked. As an alternative, have it remove only one buff and then make the recipient of the debuff immune for a set time to negate the rapid fire's ability to provide multiple procs. Another alternative available is for everyone to respec into archery as many have begun to do, however I believe this is in direct contravention of the game's vision and intent. I appreciate your time and attention to this matter as it heavily impacts the game in a negative manner!

Theraysa Claire
    House Of Mangar

Mhtic, OzzyOsbourne and Adam Crow like this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont think rapid fire applies poison more than once per use. If its re-applying on every hit, thats a bug because it doesnt do so on any other poison.

And in reality, every build relies heavily on buffs.

But i think the introduction of poison(particularly the poisons that dont benifit from a poison effectivness bonus) to ranged attacks has made ranged the go-to by a mile for PvP poisons.

3 that arent affected by a poison effectivnes son weapons is Choatic Corruption, Festering, and Black Unicorn blood

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

My opinion is that the the problem is in the buffs.

We shouldn't have so many that it takes people two minutes to apply them all.

So many that they were overflowing the screen until they finally got condensed into stacks of buffs on the buff bar.

It's dumb.

4. Mangar

Mangar Avatar

For the 1st 2 and a half years of the persistent game we have been applying buffs. All was fine for the most part and then The Dev team did not know how to balance Archery and some Melee SO Atos & Team can up with this Genius idea. It's horrible and ruins the PvP scene. The buffs are needed for most classes as without them ur MUCH weaker, an Archer can strip almost all ur buffs at a distance and make u SUPER vulnerable to his arrows and ALL other dmg - and you're dead. It's fccuking Stupid beyond belief, the poison should strip one buff at most maybe two if you have poison GMed every 15 secs even 20, the current model breaks the game. Only way to compete is to make an Archer & do it too … Hello .. Anyone who disagrees is full of horse manure.. ATOS, Fix this **** ..

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Doesn't help that "Cure Poison" is a one time use thing and doesn't apply a buff against future poisons. Which it probably should.

Yes, another buff. I'm sorry.

6. welostluke

welostluke Avatar

New to game, pvp is broken due to unicorn poison. thats all

7. sappersteel76

sappersteel76 Avatar

Barugon said:
    I just want to point out that poison is only applied on the first arrow of Rapid Fire.
    Theraysa Claire responded:
    This is not the case with DUP... It removes a buff with each additional shot until there are none. It does not behave like other Poisons. When I get hit with a Rapid fire or auto attack while the Archer has the poison active then each shot removes a buff. I unwittingly posted this in the wrong forum. You can find supporting posts at this thread: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-unicorn-poison-with-the-archer-class.154343/

8. stefania1988

stefania1988 Avatar

Lets keep facts and feelings seperate: Rapidfire does not remove more than 1 buff everytime used. (I can demostrate to anyone who doesnt belive this).
    However auto attack does and its very op. Biggest Issue is Xen bow and it raw power combined with this.

9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

The fix proposed (an immunity timer) would correct this issue. Since we all agree that auto attack definitely removes one buff on each shot, this fix is a must in my opinion.

And since you can have multiple archers attacking the same target, you should be immune from everyone (not just the player that removes the first buff) after the first buff is removed, until the timer runs out.

It's kind of irrelevant if rapid fire does this or not, because auto attack has such long range and speed. Rapid fire isn't the issue, an immunity timer would fix this problem either way.

Mhtic, Spoon and Dhanas like this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Cure poison should stay in your bloodstream.

Adam Crow likes this.
  11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Something else that should be noted (when someone can verify it) is that Multi Shot, like Rapid Fire, also does not work as the OP describes. Main target gets hit with the primary effects and two extra shots, all others in the AOE get hit with normal damage.

Adam Crow and amarious like this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Or maybe they could create a new resist poison potion. It could give added protection from poisons, without negating it completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.