Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Trophy Weight Concerns

Discussion in 'Release 64 Feedback' started by Weins201, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

[​IMG]

@DarkStarr, @Lord British , @BurningToad , @Bzus

When you guys get around to shutting off the Servers it is not going to be because you failed to bring in new players.

It is going to be because you let down the players who started you out and were willing to stick around and keep the game afloat. I know there are players who beat me up because I asked for the Bunny Heads to have some ID ok NP

However how many fishing tournies have been going on? Look at the above picture I have finally Caught a Pike in Blood Bay. I know players are going to say "so what, who cares" well I do. I took a long time and a lot of fishing in the one of 3 spots I found to fish in the entire area.

Now the PROBLEM is that there are Large and Small tags on these fish Look at the trophy its lengths is 1.8 it weight is 4, and the weight is 4 for Every trophy. So on the top of the pile of unmounted is a 2.5 length 3 weight Large King Salmon, next is a 2.0 Length 2 weight King Salmon, then a 2.0 Length 1 weight Small King Salmon and lastly a 1.7 length 1 weight small king.

Now look at the pike it is a Small, 1.5 length.

All of these fish are caught in Blood Bay, all would make nice trophies however I will not mount the Large / small ones as they will loose identity. The King Salmon will all be called "King Salmon" and will have a weight of 4 when there is a distinct difference between a 2.0l / 2w and a 2.0l/1w fish.

Simple solution leave the Large / Small tages there? harder incorporate weights, but a fix is needed.

The small things like this and all the other "inconsequential" things broken / unfinished are what is going to sink this game. There are significant amount of players who are stopping to give any more $ and will still play but until we see some progress on what is left broken / unfinished well we are done.

You can call me crazy, Insane, half baked, whatever. You can keep ignoring me and my posts, but in the end I will be one of the few left here hoping that you actually take a long hard look and finish what has been started and fix what is broken.

All the new "items" in the world are not going to turn us around, and piling more and more fractured stuff onto an already cracking platform is not going to work either.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@Weins201, I think your suggestion, whatever it is with regards to fishing, would be better received if it wasn't accompanied by sinking boat and servers shut-off.

I agree with some of your threads, but here you have a whole post about fishing, but I clicked the click-bait title and read the first line and was ready to read about some truly horrific stuff going down.

I think, and because I'm not that familiar with in-game fish mechanics I say think... I think you're saying that you have Small King and Large King salmons, and when you mount it, it's just called a "King Salmon"?

I think this may be a bug report or feedback thread, but here is probably what this should have read as (drew a line through all the junk, and put in white/red highlights for this suggestion):

3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

if you're reporting a bug, i suggest more clear and concise detail with a little less doom and gloom.

putting it in the bug reporting section would probably be helpful too.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

@Lord Andernut , @that_shawn_guy , Ty I have tried.

I called it a Bug, nothing, I tired feedback and also ignored.

I am past that, they choose to ignore it and nothing has been said or done, soo trying another route

So now I will try and show how poignant it really is by making it the point of a much larger issue.

Their lake of concern for the "little things"

Brass Knuckles and K1000 like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'd be curious to know how many jiras were entered due to your feedback. I'd be willing to bet you'd be surprised.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I am sure a few.

I have been here a LONG time and I did ALOT of actual work earlier on that used materials and such.

But we have been here over a year after persistence, fishing has been up a while and this specific issue was brought up as soon as identified.

But as I said this is just one of many smaller things that are festering and at some point they will become systemic (if not already).

Also any reply would be nice, even if is "STFU we are not going to change it" is something, at least I would know then that it is not worth pushing the issue anymore.

They can only say that for so many of the smaller issues though, and there are ALOT of them.

7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I understand the more positive response requests, but still the OP has a point. In another thread I tried to start a discussion of Good things which rapidly lost interest, and collected a dearth of posts. Even the people who are eternally optimistic in their postings have become more rare. I wish the trophy/weight/length system was one of the good things to write about. There is good and bad in the game and it may be time for the devs to slow down all the new stuff and fix some systems. The messed up trophy stuff is not a bug, it is a system design left unfinished. For sure we can't say the players aren't interested enough in fishing to make the effort something that can be put off indefinitely.

Bom and Weins201 like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, I agree with this premise...

But I think that goes well beyond minor stuff like this and ultimately if someone quits because they're unable to make the trophy they want, its maybe a sign they have far deeper issues with the game, because it means the whole time they were playing until they caught the fish wasn't that fun to begin with. Why else would you quit?

I think its a lot of big stuff, not a lot of small stuff.

I feel like they've made changes that have split the player base, when they could have worked on things that would have made everyone happy. For missing features, I'd ask about big things like... Where are all the skill-weaving combos that were promised? When will we be able to drag emotes to the non-combat bar? When are mobs going to have better AI so they have vulnerabilities like players? When are we going to have better in-game marketing tools like listing vendors on town criers and syncing with the maps, real BBs etc? When are they going to do a pass over loot drops, raw materials, artifacts, supply bundles? When is the map going to feel more balanced in terms of play opportunities? (I think even the people who like Upper Tears are getting bored of Upper Tears)

It's not that I'm not patient and don't get the situation the devs are in, but I look at the things they've worked on since launch and all the things on the schedule and I don't always understand the priorities.

But yea I also get what your saying, too, the small things also matter and the attention to small things can impress and lack of attention to them can frustrate.

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ty well thought and supportive and got te concept. Added a lot more the the table to be looked at ;-)

10. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Agreed. 2x LoM2. 2x Duke. All RF. And LotI. Pot (biggest). Blood Buyer (forgot the name). Bundle buyer many times over. 150k easy in the game.

Backed since backing was allowed. No last name. No avatar face. No game as promised. Ultima in spirit. If I get another spoon I am going to scream. Stop making an economy and drop loot earned.

Ask Venezuela how structured economies work. Ask America how capitalism works.

I have paid more into this game than any other player of which I am aware. Why are we, the backers and players, ignored?

Promises at the LoM dinner at Richard’s home are not fulfilled. Why? Some Devs feel they know better?

Supply and Demand. Adam Smith figured it out. Follow his lead, SOTA.

End Attenuation.

End Crappy Loot.

End Crafting Cluster F.

Let us have fun. We paid for it. Deliver.

Build it and they will come. Says a man who paid (happily and freely) for you to build it.

Please.

Signed a fan since I was a boy. Apple IIe owner. Friend of fellow programmers. Harvey style.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Net, bloodydragon, Lord Stein and 8 others like this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Sadly, people who are happy and content tend to not have much to say. Doesn't mean they don't exist. It's just not a trend for them to be as outspoken. Let's face it, if you're happy with something why change it? So what motivations are there to speak up?
    If you're unhappy with something, you're more motivated to say something to try to get it changed. It's not just a question of being optimistic or not. There could be 99% of a group that's perfectly happy.. but the unhappy 1% can make it seem like they're the majority simply because they're motivated to speak out.

That's not an attempt to declare anyone a majority or minority.. just making note of common trends.

Bom, Alioth and King Robert like this.
  12. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And yes we are calling out to @Bzus and he does not see the suggestions for crafting. Some really great ones too. Like being able to enhance food with cooking specialization. The cooking tree only has 1 thing on it. It could be very cool to enhance foods like gear to make use of foods we don't use especially.

Edited .

@DarkStarr can you shout out to Bzus for us? Chris always says ask Bzus about crafting stuff but he is not interacting with us at all. I will tell everyone to be nice. :)

Lord Baldrith, Bom, Sentinel2 and 2 others like this.
  14. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

No; the dinner was hosted and amazing. But all we discussed at the dinner (all may be unfair; much is more precise) never came to fruition. I think the devs followed their wants rather than the desires of the backers who paid to make the game. Which is odd since we paid for a game like the old Ultima games.

Often people try to please the masses which is a bad idea. Please those who pay you. Else we may not pay anymore.

We keep hearing about needing new players; start with fulfilling promises. Our avatar heads for one. Expensive? Sure. So were our pledges. And towns. Give what was promised and we the loyal LB fans will spread the word. I love LB and his games. He is an honest man and I am proud to have met him. His blood adorns my office wall. As does his signed map!

But port must fulfill all pledge promises. They took the money. Please deliver what we wanted. A MMO that plays and feels like old Ultima games.

Please.

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What, in your opinion @King Robert , would Port need to do to make SotA "play" and "feel" like "old Ultima games" ?

Bom likes this.
  16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

In my opinion, Portalarium should keep their promises to their biggest backers. Even as a small backer I was shocked and incensed when they backed down from their promise to make custom heads for their greatest financial supporters. But realistically, they can’t count on a small number of large backers to support the game indefinitely. Even if their biggest backer was completely happy with the game, there are life and death occurrences that could make that support fall away.

The only solution I can think of that would make “pleasing the masses” a superfluous endeavor would be if the big backers we are talking about here actually bought and financed the company and kept the game going no matter if no one else played it.

I am exaggerating of course to make a point.

With regard to the original issue in this thread (something to do with fish), I agree with some other posters that it belongs in a bug reporting section without all the threats. How the devs prioritize such issues for fixing is another matter altogether. Every player has their own pet issues that are deal-breakers. Mine is the increased difficulty level of the game, which is why I haven’t really played for months. I don’t care about fishing.

Net, Cordelayne and Rada Torment like this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

In my opinion, we badly need forum moderation again.
    I am getting tired of the amount of shitposts I had to read during the last few month.

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Have to agree with @Kara Brae on that fundamental point -

Most of us, specially those of us who have put a lot of money into the game, we can forgive the "small things." There are little annoyances, little quirks, little bugs that have been around from day 1. There are no shortage of low-priority annoyances that could be fixed, its when the time/effort/cost of fixing those annoyances is high and the solutions aren't simple that we wont see them worked on. I get that.

I don't care if my fishing trophy data isn't represented correctly or as completely as it could be. Fishing as implemented, is pretty much a waste of time, playing the slot machine rare game for deco. The rarity with which 'fish you'd actually bother eating' are implemented is so low it is pointless. It simply isn't important to my day to day enjoyment of the game. I'm not saying lets scrap fishing, I'm saying that fixing fishing to be a lucrative activity is going to require a lot of work and use a lot of dev resource. Its not something that can be improved easily or quickly - it already took two releases to get us the additional functionality in fishing that we already have. And since the only purpose of fishing is a social activity or to get rare fish deco (since the things you can actually cook out of fish are either 'meh' or 'nice, but it will take 70 hours of fishing to maybe catch that fish) - well, its simply not a priority system.

I get what @Weins201 is saying about the little details - I'm as frustrated as you are sometimes - but I have to disagree. I don't think its the small things that drive people away. I think its the big things. The vision that was Sota that encouraged myself and others to invest money into the project - that's what we want. The game we played before persistence is the game we saw enough potential in to pledge - before the addition of (and thankfully removal) of xp decay, before xp attenuation, before forced-multi in pvp scenes, before forced-multi in towns, before hundreds of nerfs across the board, before removing any and all profitability from non-combat activities making this a 'fighting game' -, before forced-specialization flying in the face of the "classless" system, before best-in-slot artifacts and the neutering of the crafting system, before the addition of more and more 'slot machine loot' systems that basically tell you - no matter how much effort you put in, you are essentially playing a random loot generator. I'm not saying all of these things are bad, though my personal opinion on some of them is fairly evident. But we're a long long way from where we were.

My point is I don't think anyone's quit because they broke something small like magical cycling dye doesn't cycle on a particular hat anymore. It sucks. It was bug reported multiple times. Its still broken. I don't think anyone's quit because of it. Maybe its a straw-camel's-back situation, but the little things, even taken together, don't invalidate the game. I'd much prefer time be spent to fix the big things, sort the luxuries later.

19. Katu

Katu Avatar

I gave up already. To me, there's only grind and no rewards. In someway, I guess, its works as intended. It's a sandbox and I have not realized, that its not meant to be sandbox like UO. I hang around to see what EP2 looks like, but I don't think I play anymore.

I disagree @Weins201, its not the little stuff. As @kaeshiva said, its the bigger picture.
    There's no design really, its just "smashup" of a half done features and graphical styles. There is big things, that needs huge fundamental changes. Skill system, loot system, pvm content ( more skeletons? or maybe recolored dummy sounding human entity?), crafting.. On paper it works, in game, only for a time.

Before everyone starts to scream, how there's so much to do, with fishing and decoing houses and playing flutes with the band.. Please, don't. That is not for me and I have come to a peace, that its ok that I don't like the game that much anymore. It had it's times, but now its just grind, with little to no rewards.

Hornpipe, Humbert_Humbert and Gorthyn like this.
  20. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

To me, it's both the small and large things. I get really annoyed at those small things, especially when there are so many. And the quest bugs? That's huge and yet they are still there. And new players see them and leave because they consider the game "unfinished".

I'm not a gloom and doomer. I think SotA has amazing things in it. I have enjoyed it a great deal and think we have an amazing world to play in. I also think the above backers and myself have valid points. I for one would be way happy if they put off Episode 2 and focused on all these concerns the backers have. I would be happy if we had zero new content in exchange for fixing the big things down to the tiniest things.

To me, that's what will keep the servers running, the backers backing and players playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.