Reconsider the Vault Scheme - Changing the title is not creating a new item.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Andernut, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

Wooohoo! Me likes shiny stuffs !

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No it isn't but it is a good way to help with the game other than complain forever.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  3. Thxforthememories

Thxforthememories Avatar

Do you really think people critiquing this decision and highlighting the potential pitfalls is just complaining?

It was an attempt to have a discussion and highlight things to the devs for them to consider (to you know, maybe get them to pull this back and think it out some more); it is very frustrating when highlighting potential issues is just given the blanket term "complaining".

Since the decision appears to have been made, perhaps you will be happy as the discussion (complaining, to you) may stop, because the devs did not apparently consider it. Yay?

Amelli, Bom and Cordelayne like this.
  4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

So I took a look at the vault and the items they have in there thus are don't seem that much of a big deal.

Myself I am a collector and I paid some pretty nice coin to get some real rare items. If I see those items come up for sale I would be a little mad especially if it was something I bought under that impression that this is the last chance to get.
    So the question is what is or isnt going to show up. The few items that I have seen where not considered exclusives or Pledge rewards but rather some old shop items that were removed after an certain amount of time.

I dont seem them putting telethon or twitch items up but only old crown items. Is this really a big deal? As long as the pledge rewards and exclusive stuff along with Telethon remain out I am all for bringing back some of the older store items.

I do think that I will loose some value for sure on what I have if some items come back, but Im in the game to have fun not try to make alot of money off player base on expired stuff so it does not really affect my overall view of the game. I want to see more players investing long term to ensure the health of the game for many years to come. would you not agree that is more important? With no player base everything equals nothing :)

just my thoughts.

5. Thxforthememories

Thxforthememories Avatar

Let's see what they add - it is unclear to me if this is a daily rotating set of items or what. If it is a daily rotation we should have an idea of the scope pretty fast, but the only for sure thing off limits are pledge items. We will need to wait and see if telethon items, bundle items, even such things as blood reliquary items make an appearance, as they all technically in scope.

As for players buying in long term, I would anecdotally say zero to very few people have left this game "because there are so many expired rares I didn't get the chance to get". The position I take is this does nothing to attract and retain new players (has a new player ever uttered "man, I would have stayed if only they still let me buy the expired grim reaper statue off the store?"), yet goes out of its way to discourage a known valuable set of players who liked collecting and buying rare items (again, I take this from a collecting in game angle, not an RMT angle). Time will tell though.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Dhanas and Bom like this.
  6. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Telethon / Stream items are exclusive and will not be on there I am pretty sure. Bundles I could see the possibility of some of those items coming back as they were not exclusive in any fashion short of being discontinued. There was not promise made on those. Blood reliquary was a store item, not sure if those were exclusive either.

7. Thxforthememories

Thxforthememories Avatar

I hope you are right - it's this last line in the release notes that gives a big old caveat to that, as telethon rewards are not kickstarter/pledge rewards at least as I understand them -

• Reserved List: Original Kickstarter / Pledge Items will not be appearing in The Vault. Pledge items are considered reserved. All other items have a chance to appear in The Vault.

Spoon and Bom like this.
  8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

guess only time will tell.

Thxforthememories likes this.
  9. Bom

Bom Avatar

What is most important to this dilemma, is what is the fair market value of any asset. For assets that were sold to people as exclusive or expiring, the fair market value can only be determined by what people are voluntarily willing to pay for such items in the market.

Using this asset as an example, Portalarium may have originally sold it as an expiring item for $10 and therefore wrongly think it is fair to start reselling it again with a name change and at double the price for $20, but if the fair market value has actually been $100 and all of Portalarium's customers have been buying and selling them for $100, Portalarium is still going to make all customers that traded for them feel as if they were stabbed in the back by Portalarium. Further, even customers that never wanted the asset and never traded for it, like me, are going to see the resale of such item as Portalarium betraying customers that did buy and trade for them based on Portalairum expiring them.

It's like a warning to observant customers to not buy or trade for any Portalarium assets because you never know when Portalarium is going to suddenly destroy the value of your trades and purchases by reselling similar copies.

[​IMG]
    2017 Rabbit Tailed Bodice Ensemble: This satin bodice ensemble has a cute little rabbit tail on it! This item will only be available until the end of May this year.
    [​IMG]
    Is the item above the correct one you are discussing?

@DarkStarr @Lord British @Chris

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Duke Olahorand, Hillt and Spoon like this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Agreed, hence why I said that very thing to Starr when he responded in the other topic:

Yupp.
    However that perception is preventable through a policy and reserved list plus marking. That way the customer knows the policy at the point of purchase.

For instance this would easily solve such perception issues:

Bom likes this.
  11. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

A lot of good discussion.

Only thing I have to add is that right now there are only 2 town size and 2 city size houses available that are not water lots. None of them are particularly appealing. There are a lot more awesome looking expired homes I see around and on the wiki.

Seems like not a lot of impetus for anyone not already there to upgrade, or if the do, it’s not thru Port.

That to me seems like a much bigger deal than anything else, to have virtually no choices present on one of the biggest ticket items in the game.

Astirian and CICI like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No sorry my wording was not the best. I just meant for those complaints about balance and systems in game that it was a great opportunity to get some instant fixes to those by showing Chris the problems. I understand what you are all saying here. Policies are a good idea and I also think re-skins are a good idea too so that some things can be re purposed if at all.

13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Hi Vladamir. Not getting it from reddit. Know some resellers (who stopped doing it when they "got screwed" by the CF vendor / crafting station change) who used to buy up pledge accounts, cut them up, and sell them for a fortune more than they were originally priced at. Know people who did the same with seed invest accounts. I think a lot of the changes have discouraged this sort of investment recently since there's no guarantee items will retain value. This vault will further discourage it.

I've never sold anything for $$ except gold, and that $$ went right back to Port to buy bundles - its how I got most of my real estate. But I've bought quite a few things for $$, precisely because there was no possibly way to obtain said items or equivalent from Port directly - otherwise they'd have got my money as I'd much rather support the devs. So I know much they personally "missed out on" just from me by expiring contents - can't speak for anyone else. I agree with you that it seems a lot less prevalent these days - because items don't retain their value, they don't seem to be any longer a "good investment."

I don't have a particular problem with this - as I said in the rest of my post, if I think something is pretty or will look nice in my house, I will buy it. I could care less about its resell value or rarity.

14. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I'm surprised they are only list 9 items. Are they going to expand it? I thought it would be a much bigger selection considering how many items have been discontinued.

15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they expire in two weeks, so 18 a month? they'll rotate through.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  16. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Yeah, no doubt. Just sort of anemic like the sales.

17. Eina Stein

Eina Stein Avatar

The bottom line is they lied. Not just about this. It's not ok.

Everyone is speculating if SotA is going to fail. It already has.

18. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

@Lord Andernut just an FYI

In forum terms, "Cliff Notes" is now TL: DR which stands for Too Long: Didn't Read and is used often :)

19. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Still playing. Still enjoying the game. *shrug*

New stuff really would be better, however. I mean, doesn't Unity have a massive asset catalog, @DarkStarr ? Can't they just re-skin some existing meshes for minimal effort?

Xee and Barugon like this.
  20. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

Yes, where do you think they get their stretch goal items from? They buy them, reskin them and give them to us. There is some but minimal effort on their part. I think reoffending the rare stuff is just to generate interest in hopes people spend the money on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.