How much more effort are we going to dump in to pvp development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olddog, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olddog

Olddog Avatar

Games like diablo 3 wanted to do pvp and realized most of their current player bases did not care much about pvp and they decided to abandon further effort in to adding more money into pvp design. Games designed for pvp focus more on pvp than pve. This title seams like it wants it all I’m wondering when the pvp efforts will cave because it’s not obtainable with the current player base.

Feature creep seams to be a issue here some of them sound cool but are not realistic for a tiny team that works outta their grauges.

I seriously don’t thing the dungeon system is going to work either just makes no sense to spend development time on it.

Tailz, Time Lord, ephialtes and 2 others like this.
  2. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

Why don't you think it will work? I can understand PvP, but what is your reasoning on the dungeon system?

Time Lord, parallelogram and Timrath like this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh, this time of the year again.
    I politley disagree with everything the OP said.

4. Olddog

Olddog Avatar

Well pvp interest here is for a very limited almost non-exsisting group I can’t imagine it’s a good use of dev time considering nothing much gets done as it is.

The dungeon stuff sound like it could be good if a large dev team could put the effort into putting out a great system. This team is way to small to do it well. These are just my opinions based on the last couple of years.

Bugs performance dumb quests Poor skills lack of balance and bad ui are way bigger fish imop. Real zones Real dungeons are way higher on my list than either of those things.

Tailz, Time Lord, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Not too long ago that was different.
    I still think most of the PvPers where activley pushed out of the game by specific people.
    Oh well, can't change it anyway anymore. Might as well scrap the PvP beside a barebone version. It's not like PvPers are a forgiving bunch and will come back to test whatever new system they might come up with.
    Non the less i think the dungeon system is a USP. We should support them best we can in making it work.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The dungeon stuff in-game is massively popular and one of the biggest parts of the in game economy at the moment due to its high demand.

PvP can be a fun part of the game if there is a goal beyond jsut killing people. Theres at least 4 PvP focused guilds in the game and at least 2 of them are good sized guilds (relative to this games population) and very active. But its all open world pvp and duels atm and both of those can be very punishing, couple with the need to have a huge ammount of skills leveled up before you can avoid being killed by 1 stone or ice arrow to get into some decent pvp.

Entry level pvp begins well beyond the level of skills required to reach end game pve content which is one issue.

IMO the other big issue is just a lack of goal oriented PvP. And thier plan to have sieged pvp areas for peopel to fight over tward a goal and raid groups will help too.

But i do agree that most the people currently playing have no interest in PvP. I blame alot of that on folks giving PvP a incredibly bad reputation in RPGs over the years. Alot of PvPers jsut want the thrill of fighting something beyond AI, but alot of them exhibit mild to severe sociopathic tendancies either due to RL stress or just being plain mean for the fun of it. (the whole "i can kill anyone i want without consequence" environment they dotn have in real life)

Im not a PvPer, but i like goals that are rewarding to me that put me into their path. In this game, i would have to grind every magic skill up jsut to avoid being nuked in a fight which, for me, isnt fun because i just never liked using alot magic in games. So i make my PvP game about trying to avoid PvPers in PvP situations, which i've been pretty successful at

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Mhm. I was activley farming tears in EvE. Amievil?
    Srsly though, statments like that are one of the reasons most of the pvpers packed up and left.
    PvErs always scream and rage if they are tarred with the same brush. but if that happens to PvPers that seems to be ok for 99% of the PvErs.

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

PvPer's rage about it too. The fact is its easier to solve for a game you arent required to interact with somone else. You can ignore them and play in private mode and never have to deal with it. You can still keep PvEing

PvP by its very nature requires you to interact with other people. If those other people become infuriating to interact with and you decide to ignroe them, then the entirety of PvP is now gone for you. So the bad attitudes tend to destroy PvP whereas in PvE somone can still just go play the game by themselves. Its not reliant on social interaction.

This is also the reason almost all PvPers are at least somewhat thick-skinned. Cuz if you cant take it and avoid people, you're pvping less and less. im sure a ton of folsk that are agaisnt PvP were PvPing somewhere at some point and decided to ignore people they couldnt get along with, which means they are no longer PvPing

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I see a lot of ex-sota pvpers over at Legends of Aria preying on the easy sheep miners/lumberjacks

10. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

You either need a PVP focused MMO or a PVE focused MMO. Nearly impossible for both in one game unless you separate them like in Guild Wars and EVE. No serious PVPer would EVER take SOTA pvp as competitive or interesting.

11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Don't listen to these guys. There are still players that pvp in this game (including myself). Flag and add me to your friends list and I'll send them your way if you don't believe me.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  12. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

There are still people who program in Basic, it doesn't make them programmers.

Check out Guild Wars, EVE, WoW, even Crowfall for examples of "how to" PVP in an MMO. Otherwise you wouldn't understand.

10 CLS
    20 PRINT "YOU GUYS ARE NOT PVPERS!!!"
    30 GOTO 20

RUN

13. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Program in basic is still coding, so they are programmers like eveyrone else. Its like saying someone drawing in Paint its not an artist because the software its less powerful than PS or Illustrator ;) We know there are more complex languages but we can't marginalize others.

14. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Have to agree with Rada on that one. BASIC, though no longer a significant language is still programming.

Fenris

15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I never compared it to any of those games. I played Eve for 6 years, you aren't telling me anything I don't already know.

Just pointing out its definitely not non existent and there are plenty of us still here waiting. I know a bunch that will come back when we get some updates to pvp.

16. amarious

amarious Avatar

"Otherwise you wouldn't understand."

Roughly translates to:

"I snub my nose at you peasant pig dog! Only *I* know what real pvp is! After all I am far superior to all of the things!"

17. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

PvP and PvE go hand in hand. That is what people who solely PvE don’t understand. It’s a yin and yang in any MMO. This is why the original UO was so successful. It is what games like Darkfall that were pure PvP were missing.

PvP is nothing more than a highly practiced PvE fighter. I had not seen this guy Armeleon PvP much but he is an avid PvE fighter. He took his PvE tactics for fighting huge mobs to the Fall one day and laid waste to a huge crowd of avid PvPers. It was amazing to watch. I saw Fetid SirDidy and Alphaine Nine do the same. To me, a good PvPer has mastered the PvE system and understands how each school of magic works and how to properly build your resistances and gear for various scenarios. Without PvE in this instance, great PvP could not exist. PvP is reserved for players who have beaten all the stupid AI and want a good challenge. Unfortunately, the combat system with glyphs and cards is too original and unique and makes this game great for hardcore PvE and PvP.

Now, what the rest of you don’t understand is that there are PvPers like me and others out there that are likely supporting a good deal of the ingame economy. There have been many times I’ve wiped an entire market out of certain craftable items. There have been times I’ve spent millions of gold on one wand. There have been times I’ve spent tens of millions of gold on a specialized suit of armor, weaponry and wands. I’ve pushed crafting to a limit due to competition that a casual gamer would never do. As a result, gear that used to be millions is now tens of thousands for others. I go to shops and see stuff that a year ago were rare and one of a kind that any player can now purchase for 100k, because so many players understand what to craft and where they can see a return on their investment. The items are not just good for PvP they are amazing for PvE as well.

Without PvP our combat system, our economy and crafting system would be quite lame, underachieving and no one would have explored the cutting edge of crafting.

That being said, there is very little attention to PvP. If this is related to a Xen bow nerf, a bow that can have 100% crit chance and hits for 1k minimum on certain builds that a mage can use with no archery, you are not complaining about PvP. If you are complaining about a couple of nerfs on poison that probably took a few minutes to fix, that is the work I have seen on PvP in a year.

Unfortunately the game needs more attention on the balance in combat and that has everything to do with PvE which as unfortunate as it sounds for you translates into PvP.

A word to the wise: most PvPers aren’t out killing newbies. They are out helping them. If you call a PvPer a sociopath or insult them there is a high chance they will slaughter you for insulting them. Then you think they are more of a sociopath but in reality it’s just funny to be able to kill someone in game who is insulting you. There was a group of highly offensive players who don’t understand how insulting they are over in Kahli the other night. Some were affiliated with a guild that I have embargoed in trade. There was also a “hit” on the event that was paid by another non PvPing player. I killed 10 of them at once while denying other PvPers the chance to attack during the event. I waited until their event was over and people were leaving and I killed them all. They raged in a similar fashion that you are right now. You can’t even loot in Kahli. You aren’t getting reskilled. You weren’t griefed. So don’t host your event in a PvP zone. If you do, try to pay me or others to guard your event! I know 10 PvPers who are more than capable or happy to do so for free. Don’t just yell at people and cuss them out and expect them not to kill you. Yelling and cussing someone out makes YOU the griefer, not that “sociopath” who used a game dynamic to kill you and treated you humanely in the process.

18. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

I'm not a PvP'er and no matter what they do to PvP I never will be (in this game anyway - I was an Eve player for years and loved it there - different type of game though).

If they force PvP on us in SOTA or make it so you have to expose yourself to PvP to progress I'll stop playing.

Having said that - I will not support any call to cease adding PvP features to the game - we can coexist and the game needs both groups of players to succeed.

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well there are things that could be done. Like I won't just jump in and pvp because of ransom. There is way too much preparation to do since I do carry the world in my back pack usually since I do a variety of things. Take away ransom and many more might jump in. I'm not saying there does not need to be risk verses reward but for me ransom is not it. Hopefully focus will be placed on factions and competitions pvp quests and dailies and timed events for challenges.

Also pvp titles and titles in this game could and should have buffs or bonuses so we choose the appropriate one. Captured the flag events that have a timer and raid system but first we need the raid system to come in even for pve stuff too. Just be careful of balancing for pvp because it can mess up pve too.

So I do think we need more work on pvp and not because it is my thing but because it is good for the game to have all systems in the game have great love and details given to them. It really is in the details and not a skimped on system. So I vote for more work on pvp and for all systems. Don't forget cooking which only has one thing to train. Enhancing food like gear would be an awesome addition so we can use our low tier foods for something. ;)

20. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Well said, agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.