How much more effort are we going to dump in to pvp development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olddog, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Come over to UO Outlands... There are a few ex-SotA players that have miners and fishers that will drop you in heart beat. My point is, don’t label the woodsmen and miners as easy prey. You may now return to playing Sims 4, I mean SotA.

Bekido and Schneider DragonFang like this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am on Azure sky, an official server. They ARE easy prey Lol

Don't act so butthurt when someone points out a fact.

3. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

For all of the new players out there:

A few of us just did some math on the API. 25% of the active players in the game right now actively PvP. That is not a minority. There are 100+ active players who are on the public API that are actively pvping. The #1 / #2 cities for sales are Crafters Town/New Heaven. Speak to the two owners of these cities and you will find a great majority of the sales are based on competitive PvP gear. You are talking about what makes up potentially 50%+ of the in game gold economy and potentially 25% of the player base as a minority.

4. golruul

golruul Avatar

Keep PvP development, but not at the expense of PvE players (i.e. stop with the PvE rewards for PvPing).

As for ratio, I don't know. Maybe 10-20% of dev time per release can go to PvP stuff. There are some genuinely good ideas that don't come at the expense of PvE folks -- ransom-free towns was a recent one. These kinds of things should keep coming and won't alienate any player.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Only 400 folks are actively playing SOTA?

6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

You can view player counts on Steam here.

You can view API data on overall player counts here.

400 is a little low on an aggregate but not terribly far off when comparing to other mmorpgs.

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Hmm, that disappoints me of course, I haven't been looking in any detail at overall player numbers but had read enough comments to 'assume', wrongly, that Steam was a small percentage of actives.

Anyway, what blows my mind is that if there are that number of active players then the average monthly outlay of a player given the monthly income of the game is around $150 to $200!

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Steam numbers are in not any way accurate account numbers. It means literally nothing. It is a rough guess though.

Elwyn likes this.
  9. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Oh wait... Is this figure the live concurrent players, not the entire active player base? MaYbe I should delve into the API Nd stop asking questions, but if the 400 is a real time concurrent player average, then that sounds OK.

Given players may play for, let's say.. plucked out of the air.. 10% of their 24 hour day then we'd need around 4000 active players wouldn't we?

Also, if PVP players are assumed to be avid and dedicated players (total assumption) who play.... 20% of every 24 hours then their relative proportion amongst total active players would be inflated by a factor of 2. Kinda..

10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Thus the API data @Jaesun

Jaesun likes this.
  11. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

API is like Steam, nobody knows how many people are in that list and how many are not. The game has more than 500 active players (not concurrent) because there are maaany players not showing their stats (ingame public stat disabled), so these players are not part of any list.

My aprox bet is 600-800 players login every week (not daily) but more than 400 definitely. We all agree are low numbers, most of the modern MMOs are with 5k+ atm.

Jaesun likes this.
  12. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

What mmorpgs are comparable?

Oh my 3 alts are named in that API so that is kind of off too, right?

13. Alleine Dragonfyre

i meant comparable by the term MMORPG alone.

14. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

Umm you said “to other mmorpgs” that doesn’t compare to a term that means comparing to other similar games but my English is not the best. Not my first language.

15. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

I know the numbers are off but I do not think the amount of players online exceeds 500 at any given time unless on certain weekends around patch times in which we see spikes into the 1000-1500 player range. Only Portalarium knows the real numbers but this is my guess. Even with that guess, there are still 150+ pvpers and I bet they make up a good deal of the economies in New Heaven and Crafter's Town. The impact on the in game player economy alone is substantial compared to the rest of the game. Not many players are walking around with over 20 million in armor and weapons in their backpack like I am.

Dhanas, amarious and Antrax Artek like this.
  16. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I would like to hear even one single PVE reward that can obtained doing pvp, maybe you mean pve rewards obtained doing PVE in pvp zones?
    Why should i don't get pve rewards if i'm doing pve in a pvp zone?

Devs spend almost no time on PVP, and after years of "Housing, Specializations, wave battles, Quality of life, NPE, Crown shop work, seasonal contents, fishing, players made dungeons etc." i think it's really time to focus some releases on PVP and finally bring the hundreds of pvp only and pvp/pve players who left the game because of these blackmail and whims back.

There is no other MMORPG that has committed itself so exclusively to pve, housing and social, ignoring PVP, If we talk about population remember that pvpers are part of population and i can name one by one more than 100 pvpers who left the game for this situation.

I do not read anywhere on kickstarter nor on the site that the game should be plagiarized just on the pve side, i can't even read that Multiplayer mode should be equal to private mode in terms of rewards and xp.

I am not at all surprised by the decline in population, some guys also here on forum put so much effort into having their perfect easy/private playground, with selfishness without thinking of the rest of the population. These are just the fruits of this.

PS: Sieges are still forced private mode.

amarious and Dhanas like this.
  17. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

I'm not much into pvp, but isn't that Black Sails event pretty much pvp? That seems to be a long running event catered towards pvp. So there's a plus.

Edit: Going back through some history and posts, I found that there really hasn't been any pop related stuff released since those Trial place. Shocking but I might be wrong?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Boris Mondragon likes this.
  18. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

It's a Player made event, port is not involved at all. We should thank @CatherineRose and @Boris Mondragon for that.

Spoon, Jaesun, CatherineRose and 2 others like this.
  19. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

We do what we can to create a PvP battle as part of a storyline that leads to it, Had "Battle of New Heaven" hosted by @Antrax Artek and @Dhanas, Battle of Dragomir hosted by yours truly and @CatherineRose and the one on Sunday which will be hosted by @Spinok and the Shadow People. Who comes next I have no idea, lets see who wants to feature their city with a brief one day war. The efforts have led to "No Ransom" option in POTs so far and hopefully more PvP like things in the future. Come and see it as a spectator you don't have to flag if you don't want to. :) R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

Spoon, Jaesun, Spinok and 2 others like this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Earl Atogrim von Draken
    How were "most of the PvPeers" pushed out of the game, and who are these "specific people" ?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.