Pooled Exp Concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

As long as the gold and pooled XP is added up between all characters, that'd be fine. (rather than just using the xp and gold from the "richest" character).

FrostII likes this.
  2. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

i spent 2.5 years getting crafting skills to 120
    i dont want to do that again. its hard enough to raise crafting skills as it is, and yes, it will cost tons of silver to raise up another spec
    dont forget that spec will likely cost 24mil to gm.
    some of you guys get it a bit backwards. the main character will be used to raise up the producer pool, since he has all the gathering skills.
    also, you really cannot exploit this by making extra characters to get 10k xp, ahaha
    gm spec costs 24mil, i believe, and 10k xp cost 10 bucks, ahahaha

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is exactly why I originally suggested a shared experience pool.

4. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

pooled exp will have no effect on the game there is no differnce if you have one char with maxed skills doing everything or 4 or 5 chars doing seprate things all it does is allow you organize how you craft and play

jschoice likes this.
  5. Asari

Asari Avatar

Richard Garriott said after launch that there are thousands of players, not yet tens of thousands. So while I like your optimism, 100,000 seems very unrealistic.

MrBlight likes this.
  6. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

We'll get there. Just a matter of time :)

7. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all. I guess I should have qualified my count so that I don't have to explain it later like LB and others. I am not using the the current player numbers but the total users registered and that have played at lest for a few minutes ;-). This is not a challenge to discuss user numbers or the best way to count them it was just a number I used to show how many people are trying to suggest the direction of this game and how hard that can be. I still say constructive criticism is better and once given just enjoy the game.

8. Detrick

Detrick Avatar

I have to laugh at the Steam Review the OP post on April 24th. I believe you mentioned that there is 80 hours of game time going through the story. I would say for a free to play game that is a good chunk of time. Looks like you surpassed that by a lot as you have 8k+ hours in a game you would not recommend.

Scanphor likes this.
  9. Rogosh of the Zog Cabal

Rogosh of the Zog Cabal Avatar

Lol they used to not, I grinded 4 characters to vet 16 before they implemented the system that fixed that.

Hillt likes this.
  10. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Actually, that sentence has poor structure and still makes zero sense. Far from plain and simple; it is convoluted and contains bad prose. Period.

11. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

May be more of the case than you think...
    source: https://www.similarweb.com/website/shroudoftheavatar.com#overview

Must remember, and this is quite common -- the vocal player base that spends the most time in forums often represents only a fraction (5-30%; rarely exceeding that) of the game's player base. Only the "highly engaged" interact within forums, with a majority of gamers for a specific title avoiding them entirely. Consulting in 2017 on a MOBA title with a very large millennial and younger player base in the millions found that less 5% were actually active in the game's forums. While you can argue that is more of a function of the age group playing that one title, consulting on other titles has unfortunately confirmed this time and time again.

Not saying SoTA is uberly massive, but rather don't base game activity on Steamcharts which uses faulty methodology nor forum activity, especially when you do often see posts like this with players that have been around for a number of releases but only visited the forum when they have a problem.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, @Daigoji Gai - how many do YOU think are actively playing our game on a daily basis ?
    I have been playing daily (more than an hr a day, everyday) for 5 years now.
    Steam says I have almost 13k hrs so far...........
    I think I have a pretty good handle on how many active players we have.

So, how many do you think would be a good number ?

13. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Questions like that bother me as a data scientist. I rather not assume (or "think" what is) based on anecdotal evidence regardless of how many hours are dedicated to a singular view or experience. That said, still compiling from a number of sources, and based on my estimates around 120 - 200 players per day, with no distinctions made between active and casuals. Monthly is proving to be more difficult because of inability to deduplicate uniques, but can say Q1 and Q3 are periods of high activity where SoTA can see 500-1k monthly. Again, broad range for monthly is due to inability to reduce nor eliminate duplication.

I will say the SoTA website is getting engagement that is beyond impressive; 95% (dare I say 97%) of the major publisher out there would give a pinky toe and first born child for such high UVPM performance (pages per visit, time spent on site - though it is primarily fueled by the forums). Only caveat I will offer is that SimilarWeb and other sources like comScore, Nielsen and GWI use panels primarily with pixels offered for on-page measurement to those willing to adopt it; so on-page analytics are often much higher than what they report, very rarely is it lower. Was why major publishers started questioning comScore's methodology in protest around 2006-2008, since data from those sources inform ad buys that generate revenue. Forced comScore (and later, more recent competitors like SimilarWeb and GWI) to offer pixels to capture additional on-page performance data to compliment their modeling work based on panel data.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

The pooled XP for crafting is an interesting issue. A person with high level skills in one tree can craft particular items that give much better return (particularly with exceptionals) than mining or other gathering skills. People do this now on a single avatar to boost the XP pool to train up other crafting skills.

With the advent of crafting specializations, the ability to (more quickly) boost the crafting XP pool on the main, and then spend that XP on an alt avatar will allow them to (more) quickly raise the specializations than those who have little invested in crafting or are just starting out.

I.e., those who already have invested significantly in crafting can (on the XP front) more quickly raise an alt character slot to specialize. They'll still be limited somewhat when it comes to the resource limitations though (silver/gold). That's really where the bottleneck comes in.

15. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

That is just sad . Keep it in house Weins . Wanna help the game change that into positive ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Jaesun, Scanphor and Mishikal like this.
  16. Detrick

Detrick Avatar

There is a issues that are holding back this game without a doubt, but there is a huge difference between giving critical feedback and just down right troll the game because it is not being developed the way they want all the systems.

Despite the bugs and incomplete systems the amount of negative reviews on YouTube, online gaming sites, and steam comes from people who only played the game for a couple of hours. It reminds me a lot of my experience in UO back in the day when I started. The difference between then and now is there are a lot of other games out there to turn to if a game doesn't grab you in the first 5 mins. back in the day we were more forgiving with bugs and glitches. Today players expect more but what we forget is games today get criticized when they try to push the boundaries. There is a reason why most MMO's avoid things that they are trying in SotA. I am not sure players are ready for open development and having a very, very small dev team that tries to balance their concept of the game with countless player opinions. This is why most big game developers don't listen to much the community says.

Paladin Michael and Mishikal like this.
  17. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

@Weins201 has over 8000 hrs on record. I may disagree with him on many things, but to argue that he doesn't have enough hours of play? If he doesn't, none of us do.

Can you name two things pushing boundaries? I can't; most of the unique ideas that were here are long gone. Regional, player-driven economies? Gone. Well written quests, with characters we actually care about? Gone. Our choices actually affecting our game? nope. Control points controlling anything? Hah! Sieges actually sieging anything? nopers.

Weins has a point, hell we're the only MMO that doesn't even have mounts (now, it's arguable that mounts aren't needed because the world's so tiny, but I'm not sure that's a pro). As delayed at Ch1 was, and it needed to be, it was still a disappointment. As far as I know (and I asked @Lord British about this at SotACon last year) there is no effort to fix the Ch1 quest-line. We've been making the same points for years, yet every time they make a change it's the other direction and makes the game more bland.

18. Detrick

Detrick Avatar

You are missing my point. My point is Wein's posted a negative review which he is entitled to do for a game that he has played for 8K hours. And at the time he posted it he was still playing for a couple 60+ hours for the week (which is almost on pace to working a job full time). So I am not sure why those players continue to log huge number of hours for a game they would not recommend because it is boring after 30 hours.

There are plenty of posts I have read from players who are leaving the game forever yet they still play and play for countless hours. To me that means that despite not liking the way the game is going and the amount of bugs in the game there is not a better game out there they wish to spend their time playing. As a fairly new player reading that review I would be like why are you still playing at 60+ hours a week if the game is that bad.

Jaesun and Paladin Michael like this.
  19. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Because it's they only thing the staff listens to. Lord knows, they aren't watching HERE. If they were, we wouldn't see devs seeming shocked over the things we've been telling them are a problem for years.

I'm also noting that you declined to mention any specific elements "pushing boundaries".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.