Massively OP "MMO Cartographer" checking out Shroud

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Apr 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

2. smack

smack Avatar

Please bring back the paper maps or something other than SotA Map and integrate it with the quest system. SotA Map should be left as an external website. It simply doesn't work in the game.

For EP2, please do not have any player housing in any of the NPC towns (story-based towns). That's what PRTs and POTs are for.

Lord Baldrith, Rinaldi, K1000 and 4 others like this.
  3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Whole heartedly disagree.............

Jaesun, Mishikal, smack and 3 others like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think they very much want to come up with a new map system, because the amount of work for maintenance of the plug-in and existing maps, and adding new maps, is approaching the point where a completely internal map system based on the scene data is on the same scale of work. Plus it would allow them to add a "fog of war" effect if they want. They just won't have the dev man-hours until the ramp-up for Episode 2. I don't know if you've noticed that there are a lot of "newer" (as in the past year+) scenes still with no map.

Jaesun, Mishikal, smack and 2 others like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, every other concern aside, it's simply not good functionally in the game. It loads slow, lags, a bit clunky, world map is too large and requires burdensome zooming in/out.

Just my opinion from a RPer's perspective --
    - Portable paper maps were a good idea, the system was just not fully implemented, like a lot of game systems which I hoped to have been fleshed out more rather than abandoned.
    - Paper maps can also be overlayed in the game with updated lot information. The game can draw the rectangles and such.
    - Either vendor information can be put on town criers and then ported to the map, or some data can be taken from lots directly. For example, a player can put a Blacksmith sign on his lot with the store name as a tooltip, this could then be read by the game and put on the map with a Blacksmith symbol with the same tooltip.
    - Maps could then be created for various purposes by players with a cartography skill (part of a possible Scribes skill tree) and traded and sold.
    - Maps could be displayed as a deco object, and for example, placing a POT town map on a bulletin board at the front of the town would be cool. This would be the way to get around a POT if invited for an event and if the player doesn't have the town map.
    - POI markers on the map could be ported to the player's compass if he has the map in his inventory, and can be copied from other maps.
    - The devs can make a map UI which groups together maps held in the player's inventory.
    - The world map would come standard and there would also be regional maps to avoid bulky zooming and and zooming out from a global view to regional views.

smack, Rinaldi, Cordelayne and 3 others like this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I agree with all of this. EP 2 brings a new slate and there does not need to have NPC towns with player homes in it. Then they can finally have sieges IN the NPC towns and other story driven events.

Paper Maps yes. SotA map NO. SotA map was just a money making attempt and sadly Port bit into it.

smack, Rinaldi, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  7. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

Remove futile theater system from EP2 and focus on the structure please.

8. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Thanks Vlad!

What I got from that was:

1. Map
    Agree with everyone, bad UX.

2. Quest UI Issues.
    My fingers have never been so crossed for Ep. II! They say they're prioritizing UI in Q1 and Q2 2019 but I never really see any polish, just the Crown Store so far... Basic stuff like the damn recipe book remembering its last position and page! Kerning on same is pretty bad too. C'mon dudes. That's an afternoon's work in Unity.

3. Didn't find any player dungeons.
    I knew this would be an issue - the only fix I can think of is treasure hunting with certain maps leading to appropriately matched player dungeons in terms of AL and Dungeon Points, the math should be do-able right? Treasures in towns might also help people discover more player vendors!

4. Money for swanky housing.
    The Vault? More hinting to check the first floor of any given bank?

Tell you what though, at least we're getting 'meh' now from the comments which is a big improvement! Oh no... I've gone and jinxed it.

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The player dungeon and house deco merchant thing is a good point. Alot of player dungeons are more basements than dungeons and/or lost in the jungle of deco on peoples lots.

Would be cool to have a deco merchant draw more attention to itself.

Also would be cool to have a dungeon entrance be red instead of blue or something if there are actually things to fight inside it

Astirian likes this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

From what I understand there is no way to make anything resembling a new or mid level dungeon anyway so he would have been slaughtered even with tier 1 creatures

Astirian likes this.
  11. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Portalarium had deco contests when players created amazing gardens, theme areas (e.g. haunted area), beautifully decorated properties, and gorgeous houses.

Why not use the amazing assets created by the community?
    They could have deco contests for properties, houses, and dungeons, and use the winner's creations as permanent deco for existing zones (and have some way of giving credit to the creators - such a place their name on something in the house or on the property). These amazing player creations should be preserved, and in the process, Portalarium can improve the bland buildings and the boring zones (for FREE). This will not improve the primitive graphics in some of the zones, but it will certainly improve the dull and empty appearance of the zones.

Seriously, if Portalarium asked players to deco a whole town for a contest, I am sure it would be absolutely amazing.

Although it is Portalarium's job to create content, they have handcuffed themselves with a small team.
    This amazingly creative community can certainly help create content, which will free-up the devs to work on other important issues (GUI, quality of life, etc).
    @Chris, @DarkStarr, @Vas Corp Por

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

They should really consider this for empty non-claimed lots. If you go to Harvest, the Viking 1 story buildings outside of town look like a bunch of mcmansions that haven't sold yet. No outside deco, nothing.

They need to look like something, but still be claimable. When someone claims them the deco disappears and if it's ever unclaimed, return it.

All in theme of course, keep the viking areas viking. If the house looks great, the devs lock it in, if not wipe it and try again.

Bedawyn and Rinaldi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.