How much more effort are we going to dump in to pvp development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olddog, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Jacob Cannon was a griefer who's fun in life was griefing peoples event. Good riddance. Themo Lock, is one of my best friends, while he did suffer some connection problems at times, that's NOT the reason he doesn't play a lot anymore. And Blake leaving had to do a lot more than PvP. Most of the money he spent was on property etc.

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I wouldnt consider myself a pvper because i choose not to (dont feel like grinding the myriad of skills needed to avoid getting 1-shot), but i do encounter pvpers and hunt in pvp areas (for the perks) so i counted myself on that list but theres folks on there i saw that i know just kill each other for decoration, my guess is about 10-20% have or still actively participate in pvp.

But its not because pvp is not desired, its because theres literally no point to it yet because there’s no real goals.

The point system stienbot displays created a leaderboard that ive noticed has ignited more pvp because it created a goa

3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

So you didn't leave?

Elwyn and Boris Mondragon like this.
  4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Perhaps it is a macabre version of the “Tango” to see who dips the other in a brutal fashion with a body slam. “Grins”. R/Boris

Time Lord and Gorthyn like this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Because we don't have tons of PvErs roaming the forum and not playing since ages.... :rolleyes:

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The idea that because there are fewer pvper’s that its a waste of time to focus on anymore pvp stuff is wrong too.

By that logic, you would never build a game to begin with because it didnt already have a player base, which is silly. There is interest in having meaningful pvp goals in a game like this. If there wasnt, there wouldnt be so much debate over it.

7. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I really agree on that point, who answers to questions/statements with another question has a poor argument, lack of evidence and usually base everything on a thought without a foundation.
    Seems like a very practiced sport here on the forum, but also on twitch chat it's becoming popular.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  8. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

Everyone wonders who is influencing the game the most, it is this type of attitude and behavior which I see as a territorial marking of this message board. It keeps others off of this message board as I have done for years. Then they have free reign with their unsubstantiated opinions that are not based on in-game experience. It spirals these threads out of control because people are not willing to treat others as they would like to be treated. The way PvE players treat PvP players on this message board is becoming intolerable for me and others. If I can not voice my opinions here, if I am asked to restate facts over and over, there is no point. The reason these questions are asked is primarily motivated in getting the thread locked and keeping our voices off of the forums. If you want facts, information, or to quantify experience, that is what I am here for and I will happily provide anything most ask for if it does not involve too much work reading multiple threads.

Someone mentioned some of these players have a lot of deaths and no kills. I have personally been training Sly Stone, Zen Kamudo, DeepSea Dobber, Adam Crow, SUPERNOOB NESCAFE, and more who right now are at the bottom of the list because they are learning against the hardest players in the game. The easiest way to become the best is to train against the best and unfortunately, you will lose a lot at first but then you will adapt and begin winning. Others have been training Gimli Fabbiori, Robin Good, IronFist Warhammer, KPbICKA, Emmory Watsyn, Locane Damodred, To Korho, and more. The players at the bottom of the list are new to PvP and have been ushered into the community by the experienced players who are helping them. I also had an extremely low score for a few seasons because I was not aware of how the ranking system worked and I had taken long breaks from the game and needed to reacquaint myself by training against the best in the game. These people are not newbies being slaughtered for everyone's sociopathic entertainment as I feel like is being suggested here. It is true that I have killed new players, do not get me wrong. I do not grief kill them unless they are in a guild we are at war with. I usually release the bounty and give them direction so they know how to create a drop bag, etc so that when a PvPer with lesser standards kills them they are ready. If someone cusses me out, as I have said before, I will probably kill them again or keep the ransom.

Robert Frost, you have played over 10,000 hours but I know exactly who you are now. You are not an experienced player, you just have a lot of time invested in the game. There is a difference between quality and quantity and unfortunately, a number of hours in a chat room does not account for anything to me. I apologize for thinking your comments were backhanded, you are just inexperienced in the game and I will try my best to provide more information to you in the future.

9. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

Arkah, there are paintings made in your image detailing your furious lutings on the battlefield. I beg to differ.

Zen Kamudo likes this.
  10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Sorry perhaps it's an age difference, I don't write a long post explaining why I'm leaving/quitting, then don't. If I ever leave I will do so, with a note to my friends and I wouldn't be looking back. Sorry but it just reeks of drama.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Those are gentle lutings at my “house” which is a ruin i use as a artifact research facility \o/

12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Quite a dissertation. So what are you willing to do that will:

1) Help with the future of PVP.

2)Help foster better relations with the Dance Party, Rp , Strict PVE folks.

The fact you are helping new PVPers with training is commendable but don’t you think it would be better to give them a future in this game where everyone can do what they please without all the animosity you write about. One last question, who is the One influencing the game. That statement piqued my curiosity. R/Boris

13. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

Haven't touched the game in a week. I've been checking updates and forums since I left. I'm still in the community until game slowly climbs out of the hole it dug with the PVE/PVP community.

parallelogram likes this.
  14. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

1.) I am always helping with the future of PvP. Everything from reporting balance changes to helping new players.

2.) I guess I have to overcome my disgust for in-game dance parties. I go to Burning Man events, I wonder why people do not just go to a real dance party? It also contributes to the digital retirement home image that all of my friends call SOTA. I will try to be more accepting but you are right. The way PvPs are looked at as sociopaths, I look at Dance Parties as weapons-grade autism.

Roleplaying seems a bit weak. I have observed some roleplaying situations and it makes very little sense that people are not actually roleplaying within the dynamics of the game, more just roleplaying in text chat. Perhaps the next time people gather in a tavern to tell stories and drink they should group up and kill a dragon or crawl a dungeon first? Then go back to the tavern and share stories over ale? This would make more sense rather than just pretending since the dynamic in the game is already there. I tried to influence this in some roleplaying events but people seem to want to stay in charge of pure text-based fantasies within this beautifully dynamic game where we can have interactive fantasies. In UO back in the 90's we did a lot of real roleplaying. We would speak to others in the game within character and people would randomly join in. A lot of things in this game are very cliquey and you need to be part of an "inner crowd" to participate.

The events that are being created that have real action are more towards my leanings and I may immerse myself in those in the future, the times of the events have been conflicting with my schedule unfortunately but I would like to check them out.

Strict PvE is no problem, sometimes I strictly PvE until I run out of content. Then I have nothing to do. Soloing the Spider Queen as a mage in a few minutes was my last real challenge. It took me 5 days to figure out, I died probably over a hundred times. I run a character who can simultaneously tank the 3 dragons in Grunvald while killing them, I have conquered PvE. Pure PvE is fine there just needs to be more content and challenges involved. The AI (pseudo intelligence) needs a complete overhaul. PvE and PvP go hand in hand in my opinion and this is all part of combat balance. Pure PvE does not need to be exposed to PvP, but the combat system itself is the influence on PvE as the deck/glyph system is pure brilliance.

There is no "One" influencing the game. There are many people who go into these threads and get a thread locked or deleted by cleverly poking. I am probably not allowed to call individual names but I have received PMs thanking me for addressing this over Discord. A lot of us know who these people are, there are about 5-10 of them. If they want to censor something they stir up people who are passionate about their opinions in order to get a thread locked. It's a very tactical and political way to censor the rest of the game. People have been doing this for 5 years now, I have watched.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Zen Kamudo and Boris Mondragon like this.
  15. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

Well, this thread is now considered a success. There will be a new PvP dungeon next release. Thank you all for your input!

16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Thank you for your candor. PVP will get much better once we get the so called Zerg or Raid groups soon. As far as the Rp in text, I believe in both and do most of my stories to "Feature" and lead to a massive battle. Did in UO 20 years ago in Chesapeake shard and it was very successful. It is not for everyone as some are very strict and only write what they did in game. I respect their views yet find that style a bit limiting in scope. Again thanks for being up front with your answers and hopefully we will meet during the next event with is location TBD and date TBD at the moment. R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Of course it does. It's just not like that this is a uncommon occurrence on this forum.

18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Sean, don't quit without letting me know first *Grins* , we still have a potential battle coming up in Paxlair soon and just waiting for a confirmation from you .:)

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

WARNING: the below post is WAY off topic, feel strongly bout RP tho

I know this wastn directed at me but i have roleplayed with people in dragomir and kahli and stuff and take pride in the fact that i avoid RPing anything i didnt actually do for-real in the game \o/

I do experiments at my lab, fight with just swords and speed with random, often seemingly useless buff spells aiding me. The trick is that this is actually how i play games, i just built the story around that ^^. I like the black sales stuff, i loved the nightmares of novia storyline, sitting in a alchemy lab in caelestis canton with Sol Stormlin devising a plan to steal Hemswal the Descended's power, Trying to hunt down clues and accidently running into hemswal and poorly fiegning ignorance (made me sweat in RL)

My bad totally off topic. The Baubleshire folks were badass too. They built a wrecked ruin in britanny estates with a airship sitting ohn it because they crash-landed there

Off topic, TLDR i liek RP .-.

P.S. i opened my box 2 days ago and read the adventurer's manual, i was right the kobolds ARE the only non-human native novian race.. But the novel make it sound kinda liek the obsidians made them, but there are obsidian kobolds and regualr kobolds.

WAAAAAAAY off topic >.<

20. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Being on the bottom of that famous list, I'd just like to point out that there's casual PvPers (like me) that love to fight something that's more intelligent than the AI even if they (for the time being) lack the hard and/or player skills to win a fight.

I do enjoy PvP.

Would I enjoy it more if it was more balanced? Definitely. In UO a few weeks of hard work would get you a character that was skill-wise just as good as any other, and then you could concentrate on your player skills. And builds were not a science, and information/advice freely available on Stratics for those of us that did not have the time or dedication to dive deeper into game mechanics (which didn't change as frequently, either). I'm still having a hard time accepting that I'll have to spend countless hours in UT if I want to get closer to being competitive in PvP one day.

Would I enjoy it more if there was less lag when more then one party is fighting on the same screen? Yes, of course. Performance is a big issue that needs solving asap. I haven't been to dance parties in a while, but last time I was, there was the request not to use AoE spells to minimize lag. Does that mean AoEs must be banned from PvP group battles? Or does that mean performance must finally be fixed?

Would I enjoy it more if there was a guild wars system like in UO? Yes yes yes! As a RPvPer I want sensible PvP with a roleplaying background. Which, to me, means two things: First it means to be able to flag selectively (especially as the current party system is so limiting!). While most non-RPing PvPers I met so far have been incredibly polite and considerate people, I would prefer being able to be flagged only towards the guilds that want to RP a war with me, not to the entire world. Second it means that there must be an objective. Both sides must agree on a winning condition to determine when the war is considered to be over, and who won, and this should be supported by game mechanics. Preferably, there's a prize for winning other than the fame and glory.

I think giving POT owners the choice to disable ransom in their towns was the right decision. I hear much less bitching since then and find many people suddenly more accepting of PvP. It's a good way to get one's toes wet, but the gap between the casual PvPer and the top of the pops is just way too broad IMO. This is something that needs looking into, for the sake of the future of PvP in SotA. And then do give rewards, please. The Shroudbert ranking reward should not have to be a private initiative. This should be something official, sponsored by the company that makes this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.