Things from livestreams: April 30th: "Dungeon Tartarus"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Tuesday April 30th:

Live streamign the creation of a dungeon called tartarus (may just be a demonstration?)
    Will be a new PvE PvP dungeon. Meaning some parts will be PvE, some will be open PvP, all withint he same dungeon.
    "will it be at least comaprable to UT?" The idea for thsi area is that the loots and stuff will be better than UT, BUT you have to keep moving. you cant stay in one spot.

Tuesday is team meeting day, may start doing 2 team meetings a week.
    People on dev team who play the game agree need more end-content zones, so will be working on that over the next few releases.

Went to pick up the rest of the signed maps today, wasnt able to get into Richard's property to get them.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

In Greek mythology, Tartarus (/ˈtɑːrtərəs/; Ancient Greek: Τάρταρος, Tartaros)[1] is the deep abyss that is used as a dungeon of torment and suffering for the wicked and as the prison for the Titans. Tartarus is the place where, according to Plato's Gorgias (c. 400 BC), souls are judged after death and where the wicked received divine punishment. Like other primal entities (such as the Earth, Night and Time), Tartarus is also considered to be a primordial force or deity.

While according to Greek mythology the realm of Hades is the place of the dead, Tartarus also has a number of inhabitants. When Cronus came to power as the King of the Titans, he imprisoned the one-eyed Cyclopes and the hundred-armed Hecatonchires in Tartarus and set the monster Campe as its guard. Zeus killed Campe and released these imprisoned giants to aid in his conflict with the Titans. The gods of Olympus eventually triumphed. Cronus and many of the other Titans were banished to Tartarus, though Prometheus, Epimetheus, Metis and most of the female Titans were spared (according to Pindar, Cronus somehow later earned Zeus' forgiveness and was released from Tartarus to become ruler of Elysium). Another Titan, Atlas, was sentenced to hold the sky on his shoulders to prevent it from resuming its primordial embrace with the Earth. Other gods could be sentenced to Tartarus as well. Apollo is a prime example, although Zeus freed him. The Hecatonchires became guards of Tartarus' prisoners. Later, when Zeus overcame the monster Typhon, he threw him into "wide Tartarus".[7]

We better see some titan or cyclop in there! ;)

3. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

4. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

I'm sorry but mixing PVP and PVE in the same zone is *censored* stupid. It makes the area PVP only and will only appeal to a very small audience. Making content for a small subset of a small playerbase in a niche game make little sense.

5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It seems like you think that means it will be all open PvP. Only certain parts of the dungeon will be open pvp, the PvE areas will not allow players to attack each other.

6. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

-So following this logic they should stop to make any kind of content since we have a general small playerbase?
    -Also don't you think that the small pvp playerbase is due to the fact they didn"t make any pvp content for a lot of time?
    -If there were almost no valid pve contents you think there will be an huge pve playerbase?

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im excited about it, i was actually wondering if they had the tech to make PvP and non pvp areas in the same zone since the obsidian trial kinda does that. This is a great integration.

8. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

Very professional!!

I guess beam wasn’t home or didn’t remember his old co-workers?

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Probly been dealing with funeral stuff for his dad

Jaesun and twofoldsilence like this.
  10. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Yeah they should have done it PVP only like it happens in most of the populated game around.

FrostII and parallelogram like this.
  11. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

How happy are PVE players about being led through a PVP zone as part of the main quest? PVE players do not do PVP. If it is any part of the dungeon such as having to get through an arena before fighting a boss it won't get PVE players. Stop trying to mix the very different playstyles.

FrostII likes this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Are you gonna be bullet pointing the live streams? If so you will be my new hero!

It’s intentional there gonna be fed to the pvpers. I can’t think of any other reason to do this but to force pvp conflict.

13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Interesting idea. Do you cross a magic line and you're PvP, cross back and you aren't? Fascinated.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Well what i personally hear on them i will, since i do it while playign the game i might miss stuff or not care about soemthing enough to know its important

But yea i started doign this when folks started talking about thier dissapointment with not getting info on the forum like this, then shroudoftheavatar.net started doing it too so i stopped, but then shroudoftheavatar.net stopped doign it so i reckon ill do it some more >.<

BTW i only watched half that stream so far im off to eat cookeis and watch parks and rec till i fall asleep bai!

15. Hillt

Hillt Avatar

Pve/pvp dungeons = group private modes
    How many people think this dungeon will work as intended?

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I did the main quest three times and didn't set foot in a PvP zone.

Mishikal, Fister Magee and Jaesun like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

That's because you knew the workaround.... ;)

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Antrax Artek
    To answer your question: "If there were almost no valid pve contents you think there will be an huge pve playerbase?"
    You are correct.... there is a lot of PvE content here. As I see it, the current (ongoing) issue with a dwindling playerbase, is due to a number of things.

From what I hear from most everyone I know, is that loot drop is so pathetic that most of it feels like an insult.
    Kill high-end content and get squat (lookin at you rusty spoons, et.al.)
    Many of us can handle the high-end stuff with no problem, but what's the point ?
    Just not worth the time.

As for your question: "don't you think that the small pvp playerbase is due to the fact they didn"t make any pvp content for a lot of time?"
    I would say probably.
    Other than the ability to have "raids", what could Port do that would satisfy the PvP portion of our population ?

19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Finish Obsidian Trials!

Make the queue!

Make the queue!

And while you're at it, DON'T JUST MAKE IT FOR HIGH END PVPers!

Scale people up as well as down, OR put more tiers in. I have talked to people fresh into the Outskirts that immediately wanted to PvP. Give them a chance so I don't have to tell them "You won't be competitive until you hit level 100, sorry!"

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.