1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Construction Decoration Set! (as promised from the R60 Livestream)

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, May 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, we also have a wood board in game as a crafting material, so that would make sense, too.

Time Lord and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  2. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

For Cirsee, and all others hoping for me to be able to fix the room wall dividers,...is something like this what you were hoping for?
    [​IMG]

After a quick test, I was able to make it work as I made the Construction Items work... I'm assuming that these are the "room dividers" you are talking about, yes? This is the Ornate Cherry Room Divider that I did the experiment on. I just want to verify that it can work on the type of item you're talking about, and I also wanted to show you the limitations and possible "oddities" involved if I do...

For instance, the collision surface that these items use is their actual mesh, so the best case scenario is hanging small items in the middle of the flatter "panels", so that nothing strange happens visually... So, in the middle section you can see that the small Yule Wreath and the Small Painting work perfectly, as does the Diagonal Muntin Wall Light... On the left, however, you can see that the tall and thin painting called Portrait of a Gentleman can be hung, but it looks strange because it isn't thicker than the wooden crosspieces of the room divider frame (which causes the frame slats to cover up parts of the painting). And if I try to hang up something that is so large that it intersects other collision shapes, or goes too far off of the surface it's trying to fit on, it will simply refuse to be placed (as seen with the wide-format landscape painting that has turned red while trying to be placed)....

If these existing limitations (which are already known as limits of deco placement), don't bother you, then I can certainly apply these fixes to all these objects fairly easily... Is that something you folks would like to see?

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's too bad that this is a stretch goal and not something craftable.

Time Lord and Scottie like this.
  4. Scottie

I'm hoping to talk with "those in charge" and see if there's some way to open these items up so that everyone has the ability to get access to them in some way...

I'd like there to be a category of "Stretch Goal" that is considered "non-exclusive"...meaning that, if the stretch goal is reached, it "opens up" (in some way) said item(s) for the good of the community of players as a whole... Essentially, such a new category of Stretch Goal would represent those who achieve it benefiting everyone by helping us create better content that all the player base can get access to and indulge in once the Stretch Goal is achieved...

Another possibility is giving players who invested in the Livestream, and thus getting the reward of items such as these, the ability to have a crafting recipe for them that they can actually "share" with others... That way, cool items like this become available to those outside of the exclusive group if members of the exclusive group wish to share the ability to make them with others...and the community as a whole has excellent reasons to want to interact positively, in-game, with their fellow players...

I'm not sure if these ideas are the best way to achieve what I'm advocating, but anything that gets things like this into the hands of players in general, while still providing those who are willing (who are capable of investing) the incentive to invest and share what they invested in with the rest of the community,...is a great thing, as far as I'm concerned...

Anyway, just food for thought...

Scottie ^_^

5. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Yes. And please do not forget the (craftable) wooden wall.
    Personally i can live with the "glitch" (Portrait of a Gentleman), but i guess this results in some complains in the forum...

Why not hand out recipes (not teachable) instead of the ready made items... So, the items are still exclusive stretch goal items.
    This should be save. The recipes can be changed to teachable later, when the majority of the player base want it like this and the "stretch goal receivers" are ok with this.
    ... And no-one has to think how many of each item is given out, because players craft as many items of each type as they want.

The Edelemann Bier was given as a teachable recipe to the ones who has pledged high enough for their own beer. Wouldn't be the first time.

The new toys looking good. If we always get such good looking items when we wait 6 releases, i vote for waiting ;)

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

As ever, thank you so much for your passion @Scottie it is infectious.

Thinking one step further, then my old suggestion was that some upcoming reward could be the Recipe paper for crafting the object, instead of the object itself. With the motivation:
    "(The concept with giving the reward as a paper recipe is so that one can trade the recipe away if one isn't a crafter, the concept of creating it as a recipe instead of an item is to transfer the 'rare' value from the item to the ability to craft the object, that way the 'rare' feel is kept but the object can be spread to many many more players through crafting and selling the items
    The secondary point of that is also to make a positive spin to those who cannot afford to spend in that telethon but would still get a vested interest in the outcome - which could translate to them maybe spending in an upcoming telethon.)
    "

7. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Great work @Scottie , hopefully soon you will have @DarkStarr request you make some fully functional catapults and trebuchets “Grins”. R/Boris

8. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

Just as @redfish mentioned, I too am hoping that all the crafting materials will be turned into decorations--timber, boards, barrel of wood scraps, etc. seem like a good alignment with this construction set. In the long run, I'd love to see metal ingots, stacks of reagents, etc.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

These are amazing, @Scottie! Great work, as always!

Recipes can be marked as Re-Teachable (meaning you can give them away, those people can give them away, etc, as well as being able to learn these by experimentation), as Teachable (you can give them to someone else, but those people cannot pass them on), or Not-Teachable (only you can use it). Emotes are the same way.

I'd love it if these were Teachable, so those who have them can give them away if they want, but they won't spread beyond that group. This keeps some exclusivity to the recipe, while allowing those who missed the opportunity the chance to still get it, assuming they can convince someone else to teach them. Quite appropriate for this game!

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think teachable recipes are an excellent idea!

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Teachable recipes are a good idea.

My preference is some be re-teachable also, depending on what the stretch goal is and how common you want the craftables to be in the game. I would also ask to consider whether there might be a means for players to create paper recipes in the future and also put that into the thinking process.

12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

@Scottie - the items are magnificent and well worth the wait. Thank you!

13. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

i vote for Not Teachable. Part of crafting is also to sell ready made products to others. Whoever missed the chance or do not want to give Port. money can buy these deco-parts for in-game gold from others. Or found the one or other item in a public chest. The ready made items are tradeable, anyway. And may they find there way to the loot tables.
    These recipes can also be given as paper recipe, so the recipes can be sold or given to another player.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Oh, man. This stuff'll work fantastic for the backstory quest I've been doing off and on.

And rubble! Yes! We need more garbage (in theme, not quality) deco. I realize the primary purpose for the stuff is for houses, but if you're putting together quests for others (and especially now with dungeons which need all kinds of long-abandoned deteriorated-looking deco) more non-housing related items would be fantastic.

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Oh yeah, if the rewards are actual recipe pages, then Not Teachable is fine. At least then there is a (very small) market.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I would consider that P2W because it would give one group of players an advantage over another with no chance for the other group to achieve it.

Scottie likes this.
  17. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

Will we be able to use these as POT DECO vs lot deed only deco items?...please please!
    you will probably sell a bunch more if you do!

Will we be able to use say a larger lot and put the construction deco pieces around say one of our dry docked home ships to give us a shipyard/boatyard effect?

Can we get dry rocked versions of the founder ships galleon, frigate, even the town houseboat and can you make them POT Deco items so we don't have to buy more lot deeds?

Also maybe craft couple different fishing vessels like a ocean going whale hunting vessel with sales and some kind of large home fishing trawler with nets, and maybe a plain floating barge we can put stuff on like your construction deco items.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Hazard, Scottie and Time Lord like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Personally, I'd be happy to help fund stretch goals that have some way of going out to the community rather than through player sales -- same as I'm willing to fund the big stretch goal drives (mounts, boats, pack animals, flex placement, etc) but with smaller targets.

In fact, I might be different from others here, but I'd be more likely to contribute more to get them.

Of course, it makes sense the funders get something back for it, but even with the big stretch goal drives, the people who fund it get some items while similar items will be made available to the broader community. We get some special horses and hitching posts, but other players get other types of horses and hitching posts. A recipe that's Teachable or Re-teachable already gives some advantage. And of course, the stretch goal can include a mix of different craftable recipes. Some Non-Teachable, some Teachable, some Re-Teachable.

My point of view is that these types of telethon stretch goals can be like mini- versions of the major stretch goals -- a good vehicle to fund more things so they can get into the game, not simply to get goodies for the players who fund them. I think that would be very productive for improving the game. And from that perspective, I think the devs should take the approach that makes the most sense, balancing game needs with incentives for people to fund it and coming to whatever approach works. From a game perspective, it makes also makes sense that some recipes spread out from a a knowledgeable set of players.

Then, of course, where it makes sense, we can also get titles attached to the stretch goal. So, for instance, someone who can teach these construction decorations might have a 'Royal Mason' title. Etc.

Dartan Obscuro, Scottie and Time Lord like this.
  19. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Yes those, but we have crafted ones as well (a less fancy shogun item) as the other crown items (shogun). There is also one I have seen that is rustic wood looking, not sure where that one comes from.

Scottie and Time Lord like this.
  20. Scottie

Forgive my ignorance, but which part of his earlier statement (or mine) do you consider to be P2W? I'm just confused, and want to fully understand what part you are referring to specifically, so I can address it if I can...

Sean Silverfoot and Lord Stein like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.