Are sieges really down to 18 wood per siege?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Vladamir Begemot, Apr 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That was our group average last night over 4 sieges.

What are people seeing? Is it really that low?

2. Admiralloyd

Admiralloyd Avatar

man........ this is from r63

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I had heard rumors, I didn't realize that it was gone.

4. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Yeah. Not to derail the topic, but I'm averaging 5 elf essence per tier 5 elf scene (running through once killing all the elves at least once). I've done Crags and Savernoc.

5. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

Yes on the 18 wood, average is 1 per siege engineer now.

I got 13 Elf Essences on a single run last night...where was I last night? Will edit as soon as I remember...

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Very sad about the wood nerf. Wood is one of the most time consuming things to grind. We do not have enough trees and most of the time you get 1 wood off of them. @Chris the nerf hammer was too strict for wood in this game. Please fix it for us.

Gregg247 and Sentinel2 like this.
  7. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

I heard @Chris say in chat after R63 "Is it really only dropping 1 wood? Supposed to be 1-3 per siege engineer, I will fix that." Guessing he forgot...man of many messages. :)

I did go actually grind wood for an hour, in Necropolis Barrens...I got 37 maple and 19 pine. I even let the meticulous chances roll. It really is horrible now. I'm looking at deco items now that require 30 boards etc to make, and going ewwwww no way am I making that item. That to me is the really sad part, they are used for so many things...and in such high quantities in many cases.

The only way the current structure would work is if there were a constant influx of new players that all take up forestry. Then this would all make sense because constant resupply + money for base gathering skills.

Spoon and majoria70 like this.
  8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

The engineers are dropping 0 to 3, both 0 and 3 are really uncommon. Average is about 1 per. The nerf was just too strong and we are paying the price for it. That's life in the land of SOTA. It seems that the wood problem is simply that without the engineers, as a material, wood is difficult to collect when compared to other mats. Mines are geared to metals, every adventure scene has umpteen wolves and other animals for leather, and although the reagents are pretty sparse, they don't cost much off of the NPC. Wood is slow to collect and there is no scene now where you can efficiently focus on wood collecting.

9. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

The price of wood has gone up so much that I'm going to close my furniture store soon since I cannot afford selling furniture at a decent price anymore. At the few other furniture vendors I see, furniture is sold at prices that often do not even cover the material cost anymore. Let alone the time needed to find someone that's even selling wood anymore.

Examples?

A dresser would cost 4290 gold if I made my timber without using scrap. Being generous and saying wood scrap costs nothing (which is not true of course), it would cost half of that = 2145 gold if using wood scrap. Who is going to pay that? I see it sells for an average of 900 gold a pierce. That is less than half of what a person will nowadays have to pay for the wood used.

One of those very simple and ugly bookshelves? Using wood scrap and not charging for that, only for the wood, the production cost at 100 gold per wood is 540 gold. At the game's big furniture enterprise (*grins at the thread's author*) these book shelves are sold at 350 gold a piece. Seriously, instead of hunting player vendors that sell wood and crafting my stuff myself, next time I need a piece of furniture I'm going to buy my stuff there.

I once dreamed of training carpentry masterworking. Since my otherwise well-stocked chest of crafting materials has been totally out of wood for a few months now, I'm shelfing that dream.

Seriously, this is not fun for a game. I need no second job.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Lord Baldrith, Ataniiq, Spoon and 4 others like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This! The one complaint I had about the game was the fact that there was no "Forestry" option, it was either cut what happens to be around you, or get nothing, meanwhile if you want to mine, you go in a mine, and you will get the occasional mob while working towards your goal. You want leather, it is more than abundant. You want cotton or regs, just farm them up using plant pots and planting beds, but boy, if you want wood, you better prepare yourself to fight hoards and hoards of enemies! Sieges usually were a good middle grounds because despite fighting a bunch of mobs, the payout was decent (and for me, an average of 30+ Woods is an okay-ish number, still acceptable), but less than that? averaging 18 per siege? That's out of the question!

FrostII likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well there goes most of my incentive to even go into a siege.

FrostII likes this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes you are not alone in that. The wood off of engineers was a great incentive. I never could do them a lone but it was fine and fun to do as a group taking turns on getting some wood off those engineers.

edited

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    FrostII likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I never really went out to harvest wood much. I usually ended up in a mine.. but here there was a way to go get adventure XP and pick up a moderate amount of wood. Trees are just too far apart. Now if they were in small groves the way nodes are clustered in mines?

14. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Yep, I did several sieges last night and got about 15-20 total wood each time I cleared the siege.
    A suggestion that has been made many times before by others (including Bowen Bloodgood above): add a lot of harvest-able trees to the forests!

Seriously, a forest zone should have 20 to 30 chop-able trees (just like mines have lots of ore nodes).
    Could you imagine if the mines had 5 or 6 ore nodes?
    South Boundless Forrest? More like South Pittance Forest o_O

I am not holding my breath for portalarium. I am pretty sure they do not read the suggestions in the forums.

Sentinel2 and Girlsname like this.
  15. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

There are enough private instances where you have all engineers for your own.

---
    Wood that can be gathered from trees can also be raised. May *1.5 for PvE areas and *1.75 for PvP areas per tree.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

:D Not anymore! If you see it priced like that on my store still, it just means it hasn't been replaced yet. When someone does but it the replacement one will be more expensive.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Rinaldi

That's the issue isn't it; I don't understand why they would go easier on mining ore than on chopping trees. Its one of those weird imbalances that exists in the game for whatever reason and I don't know why. Btw I made a suggestion some time about adding hidden areas of forest that have harder mobs but a higher amount of trees to cut, if that helps the devs. See --> Deep forests, hidden groves, forest grottoes.

But then there's also something to say about reducing crafting reqs (where many feel grotesquely high).

18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Ok since this obviously is a problem (to us at least, maybe not the devs) I would like to suggest a new method of forestry (not the first time it was suggested).

A method that fixes the perceived weirdness of being able to chop down a tree in three swings, a tree that in reality would take a strong person all day to whack down, if they didn't die of a heart attack in the process (as I was told by a lumberjack in game).

A method that gives us another team activity.

Group on site sawmilling sawing -> delimbing -> debarking -> cutting for transport.

It takes half an hour (a day) to complete the full thing.
    Two players are on the tree the whole time. 2 person sawing, then delimbing, then sawing into lumber size chunks.
    The commotion spawns waves and waves of appropriately tiered enemies.

When done, the party splits a large quantity of wood. 100? 200? More based on tier?

If the party is wiped or doesn't finish, do they A: get no wood? (oooh scary!) or B: get a proportion for how long they've been working?

19. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Wait, you more resources, (trees) in PvP areas?

20. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I wonder if these people are also complaining IRL that people who buy highly risky shares get a potentially much higher return of investment than their savings account (but potentially they lose everything while your money is save)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.